IGNORED

Anyone no anything about hand gun's?

star4772

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a I.O. hellcat .380, great small pocket gun. shoots every time i pull the trigger which is evry 2 weeks just to keep it loose. price should be reasonable, paid $200 for mine. wether you carry a 22 or a 357 just pulling it out will make 99% of anyone duck and run, but hopefully you never need to use it.

After being follower by 2 guys in a truck while riding some backroads I went and took a gun course and then got my carry permit.

I want something some small, i got a Ruger Lc 9 (0mm). If you Youtube LC9 there are reviews .

I wear a ankle holster when riding because it's easrier to get to when a motorcycle jacket.

Cb

1st most of the time on duty, & while traveling as my mean

the 2nd, as my back up

My last re-qualify was a 231 out of 240, I shot the .38 better then the Clock

Same here.... I carry the. 40 auto, but always shoot better and more accurately with the. 38. The. 40 is a better feel when concealing and less conspicuous, the. 38 is much more comfortable in the hand and very repeatable on the range. Kind of a trade off. You have to be comefortable and not awkward out in public or you stick out like a sore thumb. Took me a while to quit feeling like a I was doing something wrong when I first got my concealed carry. I used to wear it around town all the time just to get used to the idea, and the feel, and be comefortable in public. Now I don't even think about it. I know how I like to wear it And how to hide it when people get close like when people bump into each other in a crowd.

1st most of the time on duty, & while traveling as my mean

the 2nd, as my back up

My last re-qualify was a 231 out of 240, I shot the .38 better then the Clock

I have to admit that I'm not the best shot around, not even close to second BUT in a 20' to 25' range my 3 shot pattern will make a large hole especially using Home defense ammo.

Anything outside of 25' is hunting - go to jail for that

as of wright now My carry is a rucer sp101. For carry I use a 357 hornady critcal defense ammo and for plnking I use amc 38 spcl fmj. My wifes carry is my 20 yr old ruger dc95 9mm but she is looking for something with a smaller frame. What weapon fits your hand is the best weapon for you. If it doesnt fit you or hurts when you shoot it you will not carry it for long and it will either be sold or become a safe queen. ive got a few of those also but cant bare to let them go as whogave them to me.

As has been stated already. Best advice is to go to sevreal ranges even if it means making a weekend trip out of it and fire as many rentals guns as you cna till you find the wright one. You may even get lucky and be able to get a good deal on the rental weapon itselfuf. Most of these are high bullet count weapons but because of insurance reasons they are maticulously maintained. Wouldnt be good for a rental to malfunction and hurt the renter. Reason I say to ask if you can buy the one you soot and like is because of trigger pull every weapon even coming off the same manufacturing line will behave diffently. most rentals are already broken in

Just my advice and my opinion only so take it either way

Good luck in finding your choice

David

What Creole said :happy34:

My personal favorite is a small lightweight revolver...unlikely to EVER jam when you need it. Its a double-action-only revolver.

These aint cheap but they are VERY lightweight. And no exposed hammer to snag on clothing. I sure like mine. Even if you dont buy one, you should at least look at one and hold it at a gun store. It will impress you.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html?r=y

And no messy clean up at the end of the day:thumbsup2:

as of wright now My carry is a rucer sp101. For carry I use a 357 hornady critcal defense ammo and for plnking I use amc 38 spcl fmj. My wifes carry is my 20 yr old ruger dc95 9mm but she is looking for something with a smaller frame. What weapon fits your hand is the best weapon for you. If it doesnt fit you or hurts when you shoot it you will not carry it for long and it will either be sold or become a safe queen. ive got a few of those also but cant bare to let them go as whogave them to me.

As has been stated already. Best advice is to go to sevreal ranges even if it means making a weekend trip out of it and fire as many rentals guns as you cna till you find the wright one. You may even get lucky and be able to get a good deal on the rental weapon itselfuf. Most of these are high bullet count weapons but because of insurance reasons they are maticulously maintained. Wouldnt be good for a rental to malfunction and hurt the renter. Reason I say to ask if you can buy the one you soot and like is because of trigger pull every weapon even coming off the same manufacturing line will behave diffently. most rentals are already broken in

Just my advice and my opinion only so take it either way

Good luck in finding your choice

David

+1 on almost all the posts. You have to be comfortable having it and using it, if you ever needed to. Renting and SHOOTING will give you a feel of what fits right in your hands. I have a few firearms and love them all ( kimber, 2 sig sauer,spring field XD and S&W MP. ones that I thought looked great, were slimmer and more compact, but just didn't feel great. Take your time and ask plenty of questions. This is a big purchase despite the cost. I do not own a revolver so I can't not compare against semi automatic. Each gun and each model handles different. Find what works for you. Try not to be pressured by anyone, especially those trying to make a sale. Good luck and keep us posted. Oh...ammo is getting impossible to find. This may also weigh in on your decision, as well as if you want to add sights, lights and or lasers..

I just bought a new CC gun yesterday, I was torn between 2 guns. The Ruger LCP or the LC9, The stores around here only have 380 ammo in stock, no one has 9mm for under $60 a box, made the choice easier. I get to pick my new LCP with LASER up Monday on my way home from work.:dancefool:

Like Creole said, My 2 favorites are .38 snubbie or a good .40 both are easy carry, although the .38 may be a little small for you Joe. Go to the range and shoot a variety of revolvers and auto's, you'll know what feels right and shoots well for you. Also after you've found what feels right, try it in several different style holsters because if it's not comfortable to carry you'll just end up leaving it home.

:thumbsup2: to Gunbroker , GunsAmerica and armslist.com All great resources.

Seeing as you are so close to the border, you may want to head south and pick up one of those Fast & Furious freebies :whistling:

Thanks Jay will be doing that as soon as I find a range around here.

Nice day today 70 and sunny tomorrow 75 yahoooooooooooooooo.

I would suggest that you check with your rod and gun or sportsmans clubs. Often they sponsor a sporting (gun show) where some of the sellers will let you pay (for ammo) to test fire weapons at the range. You wouldn't buy a truck before you drove it why shouldn't that hold true for a weapon?? It's also nice to belong so you have a home range and a typically a great group of people.

If you can't find one, and you have a good gun store they usually do some range time and that may be associated with some training but thats good too.

If you have a gun in the house I always recommend you teach them safe gun handling and some good tactics, good at any age [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ergt_jMLkww] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ergt_jMLkww[/ame]

Edited by dacheedah

I guess it depends on how familiar you are with handguns. Revolvers are more reliable, yet semi-automatics are easier to carry because their generally slimmer, yet with more moving parts can be less reliable unless you pay attention to them. But to answer your question, my two favorites are .38 special and .40 Smith and Wesson. Both are great stoppers without being hard to hang onto. Another popular one is 9mm which is probably cheaper to shoot and practice with because of their popularity.

Oh and as for cheap....there aren't any right now, just remember you kind of get what you pay for .... yes there are some affordable new handguns, but again, reliability comes into play with a cheap new gun. Not saying they aren't going to be there if you need it, but my personal opinion is to find a good used quality name gun rather than a cheaply built new one.

:thumbsup:

Creole.

I just got a Springfield XDM .40 3.8 inch and I love it. another good one is a Smith & Wesson M& P sub compact .40 its smaller and its more concealable.

:2cents::2cents:

I would suggest that you check with your rod and gun or sportsmans clubs. Often they sponsor a sporting (gun show) where some of the sellers will let you pay (for ammo) to test fire weapons at the range. You wouldn't buy a truck before you drove it why shouldn't that hold true for a weapon?? It's also nice to belong so you have a home range and a typically a great group of people.

I WAS a NRA pistol instructor and club instructor for 14 or so years.....NY and Erie county got so bad I had to give it up...the state considered me a felon if I put a handgun into the hands of a student contrary to the NRA criteria for instruction...Here you cannot handle a pistol without first having a permit...Its crazy... The Pistol permit director here is a friend of mine and he too thinks this is nuts...For you pistol permit holders from other states that bring a gun into NY, I would think twice before you came here...If your caught here with out a NY permit....you're got going home for a long time......NY is the worst state for getting handgun permit...and when you do, it NOT good for the entire state...only certain counties......so beware:whistling: ps....GET CAUGHT WITH A GUN IN NY = mandatory sentencing OF 1 year min.........

Edited by BIG TOM

I WAS a NRA pistol instructor and club instructor for 14 or so years.....NY and Erie county got so bad I had to give it up...the state considered me a felon if I put a handgun into the hands of a student contrary to the NRA criteria for instruction...Here you cannot handle a pistol without first having a permit...Its crazy... The Pistol permit director here is a friend of mine and he too thinks this is nuts...For you pistol permit holders from other states that bring a gun into NY, I would think twice before you came here...If your caught here with out a NY permit....you're got going home for a long time......NY is the worst state for getting handgun permit...and when you do, it NOT good for the entire state...only certain counties......so beware:whistling:

Does that apply to out of reach weapons and ammo in seperate locked boxes?

Before you buy anything right now, you better make sure you can buy ammo for it.

Here are some of the messages you’ll see across the internet right now at online retailers’ websites:

Cheaper Than Dirt:

Consumer reaction to the political rhetoric after the shooting in CT caused a rush of online orders at Cheaper Than Dirt! which led to the largest backlog in the company’s history. Ammunition and shooting accessories orders more than tripled, resulting in week-long shipping delays. The past three weeks have been spent catching up on the tremendous backlog of orders, training additional staff and increasing inventory back to acceptable levels. …firearms that are in high demand are not currently available from manufacturers due to the lack of inventory. This includes most modern sporting rifles.

Ammo To Go

EXPECT DELAYS: Due to high order volume, we are experiencing a shipping delay of 22-24 business days…

Midway USA

out of stock, NO backorder.”

Brownells

Due to extreme order volumes, shipments may be delayed. We will continue to make every effort to get orders out the door as quickly as possible.

ABSOLUTELY...you do not have a permit to transport or carry any handgun thru NY ....If you move here from another state you MUST have your handguns shipped from one ffl license dealer to another and they will hold your guns (maybe for a year or so until and IF you are issued a pistol permit)

...NY IS not a gun friendly state....and our govener is still jamming it up our noses....now our permits are RENEWABLE EVERY 5 YEARS and handguns cannot be loaded with more than 7 rounds....he even didn't make an exception in the new law for LAW ENFORCEMENT......what an A$$..........and yes,.....everyone in my department is in violation of his new law...................ps.....this new law pertains to all long guns also.....if it can be loaded with more than 7 rounds , it is now an ASSULT weapon in NY STATE......

I figured as much for Illnois, Washington D.C.,New York city but the entire state of New York?????

Guess I won't be going there until they change those ludicrous laws...

Someone licensed to carry should be able to travel freely thru all states and be able to have it in their motel room along with castle doctrine.

As far as the police having 7 shots instead of 10, I feel its a stupid law and shouldnt apply to anyone.

It's just as stupid to require Police and federal agents to leave their weapons at work, but, sometimes think things would change for us all if the gov. tried to. Then it would sink in just how stupid these laws are.

Theres a Pediatric Dr. ben Carson also a preacher that is trying to get messages out.

He can articulate things in a way I've not seen before.

In relation to gangs and violence.

I hope he goes far.

Now I' confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_York

Non-resident travel through N.Y.

New York state law provides restricted exceptions for interstate transportation of firearms by non-residents. Non-residents may transport through New York state any lawful firearm to any place without New York where an individual may lawfully possess and carry such firearm.

While in transit within New York state, the firearm must be unloaded. The firearm and any ammunition for it must not be easily accessible by anyone in the vehicle's driver or passenger area. For example, the gun and ammunition must be kept in the storage area of the vehicle, such as a car's "trunk." In vehicle's without a storage area separate from the driver or passenger compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.".[

Federal protections

New York State is of particular concern to interstate motorists who travel with firearms, because New York separates all of New England from the bulk of the United States. This means that under the Firearm Owners Protection Act, all people traveling through New York City and New York state with firearms are protected by federal law, however they must have their firearms unloaded and locked in a hard case where they are not readily accessible (e.g. in the trunk of a vehicle).[

Edited by CaptainJoe

I figured as much for Illnois, Washington D.C.,New York city but the entire state of New York?????

Guess I won't be going there until they change those ludicrous laws...

Someone licensed to carry should be able to travel freely thru all states and be able to have it in their motel room along with castle doctrine.

As far as the police having 7 shots instead of 10, I feel its a stupid law and shouldnt apply to anyone.

It's just as stupid to require Police and federal agents to leave their weapons at work, but, sometimes think things would change for us all if the gov. tried to. Then it would sink in just how stupid these laws are.

Theres a Pediatric Dr. ben Carson also a preacher that is trying to get messages out.

He can articulate things in a way I've not seen before.

In relation to gangs and violence.

I hope he goes far.

Now I' confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_York

Non-resident travel through N.Y.

New York state law provides restricted exceptions for interstate transportation of firearms by non-residents. Non-residents may transport through New York state any lawful firearm to any place without New York where an individual may lawfully possess and carry such firearm.

While in transit within New York state, the firearm must be unloaded. The firearm and any ammunition for it must not be easily accessible by anyone in the vehicle's driver or passenger area. For example, the gun and ammunition must be kept in the storage area of the vehicle, such as a car's "trunk." In vehicle's without a storage area separate from the driver or passenger compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.".[

Federal protections

New York State is of particular concern to interstate motorists who travel with firearms, because New York separates all of New England from the bulk of the United States. This means that under the Firearm Owners Protection Act, all people traveling through New York City and New York state with firearms are protected by federal law, however they must have their firearms unloaded and locked in a hard case where they are not readily accessible (e.g. in the trunk of a vehicle).[

You are correct about transporting thru the state, I thought transporting firearms into the state...like moving here, then why would anyone want to move here...even though we have a state permit...some counties place extra restrictions on permit holders....some counties REQUIRE a NRA course taught by a certified nra instructor, while other counties require nothing......and again our permits do not allow us to carry in all counties in NY......some counties used to print RESTRICTED on the permit or BUSINESS. AT ONE TIME IN ERIE COUNTY, THEY WOULD WRITE TARGET AND LEGAL HUNTING ONLY...that meant to and from a range or while hunting only....IT got crazy (for law enforcement) with the restrictions and so it was finally changed to state nothing....Now the restrictions were still there, but they just were not printed on the permit anymore...IF you had a permit for lets say 5 or 10 years without any problems...you then would be able to apply for a unrestricted or full carry permit......This means to carry consealed.........bottom line ...our powers to be here in NY don't want civilians armed and do everything in their power to make it difficult for the average person.....although things are better now, it wasn't long ago that in this county it took a full year to get a pistol permit...

now you wanna hear the really stupid part?

From my limited understanding:

If...I pull the suitcases out of my bike and take it into motel I can be arrested.Because now they are "easily accessable..."

However, If I leave it locked up on the bike, which could be stolen or rifeled thru, I'm Good to Go, as far as the law is concerned.

I've got a few law enforcement friends, and none of them want the public unarmed.

Just checking, cause there a lot of us that carry concealed and or transport them.

Thanks

I have a Ruger SR9C 9MM really like it, easy to carry. $400 when I bought mine.

Thats what I bought, $404. out the door. I just put over 100 rounds through it today

and I've had a grin on my face since the day I bought it. 9MM is the least expensive ammo you can buy except for 22's.

now you wanna hear the really stupid part?

From my limited understanding:

If...I pull the suitcases out of my bike and take it into motel I can be arrested.Because now they are "easily accessable..."

However, If I leave it locked up on the bike, which could be stolen or rifeled thru, I'm Good to Go, as far as the law is concerned.

I've got a few law enforcement friends, and none of them want the public unarmed.

Just checking, cause there a lot of us that carry concealed and or transport them.

Thanks

heres more stupidity....here if you take your gun off and place it on the seat or put it in the trunk, you can loose your permit because it is to carry a gun concealed....:bang head: ok, I'm all done with this...