IGNORED

Tour Deluxe or Venture?

ZzzottStar02

Greetings Earthlings!

I am currently riding a 2002 Vstar Classic. Thinking about moving up to 06 to 08 Tour Deluxe

or Venture. Need to keep the price under $10K...Any thoughts or suggestions? Somewhat concerned about the extra weight although the CG seems low on the TD's I've looked at.

Thanks,

:322:

Greetings Earthlings!

I am currently riding a 2002 Vstar Classic. Thinking about moving up to 06 to 08 Tour Deluxe

or Venture. Need to keep the price under $10K...Any thoughts or suggestions? Somewhat concerned about the extra weight although the CG seems low on the TD's I've looked at.

Thanks,

All depends on what you want to do with it, I had a RSV and turned around a got a RSTD instead. Glad I did, but basically same bike performance wise.

Hello: I agee with ACE50. Just depends on your riding style. When I bought my RSTD. I had the choice of a used RSV. The RSTD fit me a bit better and the price was understandably lower. However if I had known about this site then and also knew that my wife and I would be riding as much as we do together I might have went with the RSV. I have discovered it takes time to get used to your bike no matter which one you choose. I would like to try a lowered RSV with RSTD handlebars. Maybe someone will have one at a MD or at the International rally.:)

I rode an RSTD for 7 years and really enjoyed it. The v4 is nothing short of a great engine. Looking back at how I used the bike I think an RSV would have been more useful to me. Having the trunk gives you a lot of options like grocery shopping and commuting with a laptop, or even having someplace to stow your gear when you get where you're going and don't want to walk around in chaps and an armoured jacket.

Either way I think the RSV/RSTD is among the best values in used bikes out there. And since they haven't changed them in like forever you can buy an older one in good condition and pretty much get the same thing as a newer one.

Hope you have some cassettes. :stickinouttounge:

I would seriously consider the RSV! RSTD's have a very slow resale. I and others have had a hard time selling them where as the RSV's tend to resale much better. On the other hand you can get a RSTD cheap. If you only ride locally you can pull the trunk and go far the HD standard or street glide look plus have the radio. As far as weight difference, the only difference is the fairing and the trunk and a slightly larger fuel tank.

If I bought another Yamaha it would be the RSV!

I would seriously consider the RSV! RSTD's have a very slow resale. I and others have had a hard time selling them where as the RSV's tend to resale much better. On the other hand you can get a RSTD cheap. If you only ride locally you can pull the trunk and go far the HD standard or street glide look plus have the radio. As far as weight difference, the only difference is the fairing and the trunk and a slightly larger fuel tank.

If I bought another Yamaha it would be the RSV!

Resale, RESALE! Why would you sell it!

If I bought another Yamaha it would be the RSTD..................Oh wait , already have one!:cool10::cool10:

I like the RSV, honestly I dont think I ever saw a TD until I had already bought my RSV. Probably the 2 biggest things for me when we moved up from the 900 Vulcan I had was I wanted electronic cruise so it kept a constant speed and I wanted a intercom/stereo. Hind site being what it is I now know I could have went with a Scala or simular system to accomplish the comm/radioo thing. I do like the fairing vs the windshield. I honestly think if I had a luggage rack I could carry more gear on a trip with the wife. I say that because I have a Firstgear roll aboard that has a big velcro deal on it to go around the sissy bar to keep it on. So it being a roll aboard size suitcase you can fit alot of gear. I also have a Dowco Rally Pack I use to use on the Kawasaki for traveling. It hauls a good amount of gear also. The trunk kind of limits where and how much you carry. But is handy like other have said to put your helmets in or a jacket or whatever instead of just leaving it over the handlebars or something.

either way I dont think youll be dissapointed. The engines like to roll at highway speeds and there are lots of folks here to help you out friend. In your area you may run into the same thing as we have in Fla here. The bikes seem to get more miles on them for the same amount of years oposed to where they cant ride all year. :080402gudl_prv:

Looks like the Beverly Hillbillys dont it? I had to pack about 12 days of clothes.

RSV... You get Lots of storage, Radio,CB and best of all ......The newest technology available>>>............... A brand new Cassette player. :doh::rotf:.

But Seriously. The radio and CB really change the way you ride. Those alone are worth their weight in gold when it comes to long,medium or even short trips..

I moved up from a Vstar 1100. I was looking for a tour deluxe but found the RSV and glad that I did. My wife likes the secure feeling with the trunk back rest. Took a while to get use to the weight but now if fits like a glove. Can't wait for spring!

Just buy one of each. Why limit yourself?

:whistling:

I DID! I have, and ride both. 2006 RSTD with 92k miles, 2009 RSV with 45k miles.

I ride the RSTD as my daily commute and solo ride. I have louder mufflers on it and enjoy the ride. I will take it out of town if I am solo.

But for two up and loooooong solo trips, I ride the RSV. More comfort, wind protection and,,, much more comfort for my wife.

So, if you ride two up regular, get the RSV. If you are solo,,, you decide.

Mike G.

Edited by Mike G in SC

I went from a 1st gen VR to an RSTD and loved it,tho at first i did miss the radio.Then I put an mp3 player in my pocket and some ear phones that fit under the helmet and solved that problem.when I got married my wife wanted to ride with me and she was happy with the RSTD as it was pretty comfortable for her also, but I wanted the intercom so we didn't have to shout at each other.I got an RSV and she did like the intercom,the fairing made it a litttle more comfortable for us both.So the answer to your question is "yes"it just depends on what you like and how your going to ride.BTW I put 35k on the RSTD in 2.5 years so comfort wasn't a problem.

We love our 2007 RSTD. As you can see by my map, we have ridden it several miles 2 up across numerous states, on weekend, week long, and two week trips without a lick of trouble from the bike. Having said that, I have thought looonnnggg and hard about switching to a Venture. In the end, right before I make a deal for a Venture, the question always comes to my mind, WHY? I know many say the intercom, and radio are a reason, but we accomplish that exact same thing with our Sena SMH10's and our iPods. Some say the trunk on the back is a big feature, but when we take long vacations, our Saddlemen t bag with the roll top bag is way bigger than the space we would enjoy with the trunk. The seat comfort is a great point, but since I bought and installed the Ultimate seats and backrests two years ago, it has changed our world on how far we can go before needing a rest. This year before we went on our two week western trip, I purchased the passenger armrests system from motorcyclearmrest.com, and it makes it even better for my wifes comfy. One feature I like about the RSTD is it looks alot better when I ride it solo. If I want, I can quickly remove the windshield and backrest, and viola, it's like I have a completely different bike.

But you know what? I still sit here today thinking I want a Venture. LOL.

They really two different bikes with the same heart beat.

We love our 2007 RSTD. As you can see by my map, we have ridden it several miles 2 up across numerous states, on weekend, week long, and two week trips without a lick of trouble from the bike. Having said that, I have thought looonnnggg and hard about switching to a Venture. In the end, right before I make a deal for a Venture, the question always comes to my mind, WHY? I know many say the intercom, and radio are a reason, but we accomplish that exact same thing with our Sena SMH10's and our iPods. Some say the trunk on the back is a big feature, but when we take long vacations, our Saddlemen t bag with the roll top bag is way bigger than the space we would enjoy with the trunk. The seat comfort is a great point, but since I bought and installed the Ultimate seats and backrests two years ago, it has changed our world on how far we can go before needing a rest. This year before we went on our two week western trip, I purchased the passenger armrests system from motorcyclearmrest.com, and it makes it even better for my wifes comfy. One feature I like about the RSTD is it looks alot better when I ride it solo. If I want, I can quickly remove the windshield and backrest, and viola, it's like I have a completely different bike.

But you know what? I still sit here today thinking I want a Venture. LOL.

They really two different bikes with the same heart beat.

Correction. I purchased the armrest from motorcyclereararmest.com, not motorcyclearmrest.com

Two things about this thread. First of all, I too struggled with the RSV/RSTD issue. We test rode a few RSV 2nd gens and were not too happy with the top heavy but really really liked the bike. I did not know of the existence of the RSTD at the time. We actually went to the dealer to buy a Suzuki C90. But as luck would have it, when we got to the dealer, they had an 06 RSTD sitting in the showroom. It was love at first site. I often wonder if I would have been more happy with the RSV. We have Nolan helmets with the built in communication system, we hook our ipod to it. So no need for the intercom and radio. I like the windscreen better than the fairing. I only wish I had the trunk on it. As for seat comfort, we bought Mustang seats for it. My wife loves the back seat now it is so much wider, but I did not like the Mustang front seat. So, we sold the Mustang front seat and sent the OEM front seat and the rear Mustang seat to Rick Butler for his mod.

I also like the big backrest/trunk for my wife, but since she is happy with the seat, I am going to buy the armrest system that BigLenny had mentioned. I think it will make her feel a bit more secure back there.

So in short, I believe I am more happy with the RSTD than I would have been with the RSV.

No Regrets.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all who responded to my original post. After riding both the RSTD and RSV I was about to buy the TD when I found a real nice 08 Venture S in mint condition (6500 mi's). Rode it home from Vegas to Reno and I must say I LOVE THIS BIKE!! Transferred the Wtty, slapped on passing lights and a new tire and we are Good to Go!! Lady friend LOVES the big back seat and the CD player. I love the power and handling, especially when riding solo. This baby will flat fly if you want her too!! Looking forward to seeing a lot more of NV and CA when weather and days off permit...

:322: