IGNORED

Have you ever dropped your bike?

Dale124

yep my old 2 wheel rsv several times. now the trike is another story, i have been told if i drope it no one is going to help me pick it up. also i have a friend who says "a man should not own a bike he's not able to pick by himself ".

regards

don c.

yep my old 2 wheel rsv several times. now the trike is another story, i have been told if i drope it no one is going to help me pick it up. also i have a friend who says "a man should not own a bike he's not able to pick by himself ".

regards

don c.

Hey Gunboat...if the trike ends up with the seat facing the wrong way...you be in trouble bro! Hope you never end up in that position!

Yep several times. Picking it up isn't to bad once you have done it. So here is my tip. Take your time. Make sure you don't forget the three things I forgot. They are. 1. Turn the ignition off. 2. Put it in gear. There is nothing quite like trying to keep this big thing from rolling while you are lifting it. 3. Put the side stand down. I lifted mine from the right side once where I left the bike out of gear and the side stand up. When I got the bike lifted I discovered it wanted to roll down hill. With the side stand and shifter on the other side I was in a real fix.

Mike

Yup, well I didn't exactly. My wife and I were at the Ride for Sight Rally and had parked the bike in the hotel lot and gone up for the night. In the morning as we got ready for the mass ride, we came down to the parking lot to find the bike lying on the left side in a pool of its own oil. The side stand had been retracted, so I am assuming someone threw a leg over the saddle, lost control under the sheer weight of the bike, laid it down and left it. I was soooooooo mad, I am sure I could have just picked the bike up off the ground, but while facing the bike, I bent down, grabbed the LH handgrip and the passenger grab bar and with my back straight, pushed the bike up using only my legs. It was surprisingly easy to right it, despite the weight. Well, hopefully that is two times I've seen that bike on its side - my first time and my last time.

I had 500 miles on mine when "Mr. I'm in a rush and don't have time" thought parking it in the driveway the wrong way wouldn't be a big issue and got off the bike, stand down, motor running and started to walk away and as I turned to look at it I got to watch in slow motion the bike go over taking out the outer shell on the faring, the windshield, the mirror, the lower cowl over the radiator, the front chrome engine guard, rear saddle bag chrome guard, the chrome on the hinge on the saddle bag.

The total from that if I remember right was some where in the $2500 range for replacement parts.

Another time I came up to an intersection where the road I was on had a left turn high bank stop into a left turn high bank through. Went to put my foot down and there was no road under my foot and the bike followed right over. Good news was I did manage to control the fall somewhat and the damage was really minor.

I haven't dropped a street motorcycle in at least 20some years over 5 different bikes. Dirt bikes are a whole 'nother story, and I did lay the Venture down just to see if I could pick it up. I don't care what anybody says.....it ain't easy.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/gat803/sidebike2011004.jpg

Haven't dropped one ,,, yet. Came as close as I ever wanted to with my '04 RSV a few years back. Got my left boot caught under the passenger board doing a turn-around, and my wife was on board too. That was before I had my left hip replaced, and it was absolutely all I could do to keep from dropping us. Man, I STILL remember how much that hurt, I was sore for days.

With good technique they will come up very easily. If you do it all wrong you can hurt yourself.

If you want to practice picking up a large bike let me know. Some friends and I get together in the local parking lot on thursdays. I would be happy to put my bike on its side for you.

Scotty

The smart butt answer is that its to heavy for me to lift so therefor I couldn't drop it.

Truth is, never had Tweety over, but my first Venture, an 84 was over about 4 times, twice in the yard, once in the garage when I was pulling in and front wheel slid on a dog chew toy and it flopped over.

Gary

the smart butt answer is that its to heavy for me to lift so therefor i couldn't drop it.

Truth is, never had tweety over, but my first venture, an 84 was over about 4 times, twice in the yard, once in the garage when i was pulling in and front wheel slid on a dog chew toy and it flopped over.

Gary

bad dog!!