IGNORED

Spending time in the shop

Gary N.

Since we are stuck home this winter I've decided to get some work done that I've been putting off. I got everything done I wanted to on the bike in the fall so I got started on redoing my '32 Ford. I originally restored this car back in the late '70s and the old body work was starting to show it's age. There are so many parts available for the car now that weren't available back then so this time I'm doing it right. The plan is for new body sub rails, rear 1/4 panels, trunk gutters and steel trunk lid.

I just hope I'm physically up to the task. I sure don't have the go power I used too.

Looks fun. I had a chance at a 32 Ford when I was in high school decades ago.

I am in the process of redoing a 67 Mustang now. It's a bit chilly out side and my shop doesn't have heat so I work on it in the warmer months which is when I play so the 67 is being patient.

You're lucky to own one. Take very good care of it! They're hard to find around here, because in the 40's they were real popular dirt track race cars and also candidates for demolition derbys, so many were destroyed on purpose.

OOOH, a highboy, the only thing left is to paint it yellow. My two all-time favorite cars were in American Graffitti, the yellow highboy and the white '58 Impala. I saw an episode of Gearz where they cut the fenders down to make them narrower, a very cool look too. I'm looking around for an early/mid 60's Chevy truck as a project, I got a hint of where to find a '66 Fleetside that my Dad owned a century ago, found a '58 Apache "project", but the dude's a little high on it, '58 is a "special" year for me. Keep feedin' us pics!!

:cool10:

Edited by Wrench

Going with the traditional look, eh Gary?!!? Lotsa work fer sure but worth it! Myself I've been doing a lot of sorting, labeling, cleaning and eliminating in my garage...

You mean to say that we will be able to walk through soon??????

Next we have to convince Wizard756 that work needs to be done!

I've always liked that style but haven't really decided if I'll go that way or not. I've had full fenders on it since I built it the first time and I like that style too.

Good going olde boy, one step at a time and you'd be surprised how little you can get done in one day,,,don't ask me how I know.

• 1 month later...

Got a lot more accomplished then I thought I would. A good friend who is a professional body man and welder offered his assistance and I accepted. We managed to get the new sub rails bolted into place, the door posts attached to the sub rails and the quarter panels attached to the roof and welded solid. Can't do much more until I get the new trunk lid so we can square up the back of the body.

Hope to get the trunk lid in the next few weeks while I am in Texas.

Here's a couple of pics.

new quarters.jpg

new sub rails.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well after a long summer of inactivity due to knee surgery I was finally able to get back out in the garage this fall. And with a lot of help from my friend Dave, we now have the ‘32 coupe all back in one piece (more or less). The new 1/4 panels, floor, sub rails, tail pan, rain gutters and trunk lid are all installed and look’n real nice. The only gauge we had to go by was the fit of the doors and trunk lid and after a lot of work and few choice words the gaps are as good or better then Henry himself made them back in 1932. We also installed an “X” brace behind the seat to keep the car from racking as I drive it down the road. Before it was in there we could push side ways on the roof and actually see the trunk lid gap change.

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg