IGNORED

Night noises

Guest HdHtr

Bugs. Noisy bugs. Out here in this Texas place we recently moved to it seems we got these bugs. They make BIG BIG cricket chirping sounds. Drive you nuts wake you up loud bug kinda sounds. Like some one drilling a well next to your head sounds.

Usually they are outdoors. No problem. Shut windows, tuck in bed. Go to sleep to the pleasant night noises. Had similar bugs in North Carolina, where we have just moved from but they were a lot bigger, easier to find and such out there. Still. Not a big deal.

But is seems that last night and this little bug ... it harkened me back to a time out in my native California ... few years past now. Jeeze, more than a few years. Like foreever ago.

We were working on our pool. Had all but just a little puddle of water drained outta it. One night we are laying in bed and we hear this little frog go croak. Cute. Momma says Oh ... it is just like being out in the country. We go to sleep enjoying the sound of nature, that cute widdle biddy frog out in the pool under our window.

Next night. Croak, the croak croak croak ... humm, seems to have gotten louder, certainly there are more of them. Ahh but this is just the sound of nature ... like living out in the country ... sorta loud though. But it only wakes us up a time or two in the night. Country.

Night after that. Croak, croak croak croak CROAK, croak croak croak CROAK ... humm, more of them. Where they all coming from and where'd the frog singing bass come from? We shut the window this night. Still it is sorta cute, sound of nature and all. I believe that this night my spouse is less than enamoured with this nature ... this call of the wild. But. The noise only wakes us up, even with the windows shut, a time or two ... well, more than that but we do manage to get some sleep.

Night four. The night from hell. CROAK CROAK Croak croak croak croak CROAK CROAK CROAK croak croak croak CROAK. Oh for gosh sakes this is ridiculous. There are hundreds of them things out there now. Sounds like they are partying hard too. Can't hear yous self think with all them things under our window out in that puddle of water that couldn't be more than 6 inch's deep ... have to shout just about to hear Momma when we are lying there right next to each other. We toss, we turn, bury our heads under pillows ... by sun up we are exhausted. But it is like the country right ... sound of nature ...

Well, we figure it can't go on forever. We are gonna have the pool fixed in a matter of a few more days, fill it back up, stick the pool chemicals and chlorine in the pool, frogs will disperse and all will be back to normal. We will be able to sleep, have the window open to take advantage of the sea breeze wafting up from the Bay Area at night ... hear the cop cars screaming down the streets, sheriffs helicopters buzzing the neighborhood, traffic ... our nature. Stuff we can sleep through.

So. Night five. It starts out like a jazz session and then quickly accelerates into a punk rock concert. No one is on key any more, it is a cacophony. About this time Momma and I are so strung out from lack of sleep and NATURE grating on our nerves ... we are smacking each other with our pillows in time to this devil spawn riotous noise. We are going berserkiel. Suddenly we both sit up. Look at each other. My beloved had what I quickly diagnosis as an acute case of psycopistamania ... her eye balls are red, face puffy, she is panting and grits her teeth, oh my ... bad hair night for her too and she looks at me with this sorta palsy shaking to her head and like I am a prime rib and she is gonna do the carving ... CRAZY ... but I know what to do ... no no, not give her valium ... a plan. Nature, God gave us dominion ... they are frogs. No one is gonna miss a few lousy frogs. PETA will never find out what I am about to do ... and I have murder and mayhem on my mind and a pile of frogs the target.

This takes me back to an earlier earlier time. I was a boy, maybe 10. I am fishing on this creek that was just down the street from our house which was at that time really was in the country. It had perch and catfish in it usually and during the fall ... salmon would run up it and spawn. Nice. Course that creek got paved over and a subdivision put there at the time of my current discontent. But I digress. I am fishing ... I come across these kids, maybe a bit younger than me. They have caught some little frogs and are pulling the legs off them. I am appalled at this callous treatment of nature. I tell them to knock it off and get outta there. I mean it was just cruel. Cruel.

Anyway. Back to murder and mayhem. I run to the garage, grab a rake, shovel, stuff to slash, beat and render the widdle biddy froggies into widdle biddy blobs of goo. I am sorta cackling like a mad man and I guess to be sure I was sorta drooling and what running around in my wonderdere and a old shirt with my hair all a mess ... probably not a particularly Kodak kinda moment ... but nonetheless, I launch into the night, weapons of frog destruction in my hands and seeing red. Actually I should of turned on the light cause not only did I launch myself into the night I also sorta in my zeal to deal with these monsters sorta kinda forgot the pool was out there empty and stepped out into oblivion and down the side of the pool into the deep end and that little puddle ... you know, for a minute there I new exactly how the astronauts must of felt getting outta the capsule or shuttle on a space walk ... wow.

OH. The reason for the flash back. One of these little biddy green Texas kinda bugs, about a 1/2 inch long at best, see though wings and all found its way into the house last night. It had been making a BIG RACKET out in the living room. Kept me up most of the night. I'd grab a flash light and try to track it down but it would shut up before I could find it. Finally about 4:30 am I gave up trying to sleep and got up. Kept the lights off ... just sat there waiting. Flash light at the ready, broom in hand. On the third foray into the living room from the den ... I finally found it and rendered the little thing into pulp. No more noise. Course I am wide awake, on my second pot of coffee and no way I am gonna get any more sleep tonight. But. I have prevailed. My beloved, the fetching and very much asleep love of my life for these last 43 years, she is undisturbed and will be well rested when she rises. I am gonna be a mess but, I will take a nap later.

Yeah, the frogs. Yeah, bad time in my life. Wifeypoo comes out that morning and I am sitting in the puddle at the bottom of the pool ... sorta the worse for wear from what she told me.

Mumbling to myself, pulling the legs off these little biddy frogs ... I understand them two kids ... finally. After all them years I understand.

Hope my beloved will help me put the living room back together ... I really don't understand how she managed to sleep through the fight ... still, I won. Really. I did. Prevailed. I got the wings I pulled off the noisy little monster to prove it ...

The only way to get rid of them is a shotgun:) Hunt them down and blow them off the walls!! And it will work on the iddy biddy froggies too. Should only take a night or two and all we be silent...... and well ventilated. Come out to our place a bit above Floresville in a few months. About 15 miles south of San Antonio. Frogs, bugs, donkeys, dogs, a pig or two, lots of hotty owls, and in the early AM I can offer roosters and a turkey gobble or two.

JB

Oh, look on map. We are at State Route 181 South and FM775

So ya killed the bug eh? Dang Steve what have they done to you in Texas? You use to be such a mild mannered guy back here in NC. Never saw the first sign of murder or mahem in ya. Maybe you should try and get a nap and rest up.

Margaret

Hey Margaret, yeah, you know me, mild mannered, stay outta trouble, quiet ...

Tell Jeff I said get better and come see us!

The only way to get rid of them is a shotgun:) Hunt them down and blow them off the walls!! And it will work on the iddy biddy froggies too. Should only take a night or two and all we be silent...... and well ventilated. Come out to our place a bit above Floresville in a few months. About 15 miles south of San Antonio. Frogs, bugs, donkeys, dogs, a pig or two, lots of hotty owls, and in the early AM I can offer roosters and a turkey gobble or two.

JB

Oh, look on map. We are at State Route 181 South and FM775

Hey JB. And if yous is up this way we are about 28 miles east of San Antonio in the Rio Medina area. Shotgun might be a bit hard on the walls ...

OK ... as JB pointed out ... WEST of SA not EAST!!

Edited by HdHtr

You had the .22 rifle. You could just shot it. Oh wait. I only gave you four magazines. You probably woulda needed more...

What? You holding out on me?? Buddy ... I never would of thought you'd hold out on me ...

Edited by HdHtr

I would love to hear a bug, I has been months. -40 with the wind chill I guess that is why:(

Oh I know. We've been caught in the throws of winter here too. It was only 82 degrees here today ...

Great to hear from you Steve, sorry bout the bugs. You could move up north, I havent heard a bug in months of course its 15 deg.:yikes:

Craig

Hey Craig, what is going on up there in cold land? You should move south ... way too cold up there. I mean bugs are one thing but cold ... oye.

You could at least come visit!

hope you ate them legs one should not wast wild game. one pays good money in france for them littl suckers.:stirthepot:

You know, I don't remember ... may of ate the little suckers whole ...

Hey JB. And if yous is up this way we are about 28 miles east of San Antonio in the Rio Medina area. Shotgun might be a bit hard on the walls ...

If you are in Rio Medina and 28 miles east of San Antonio................... better get a new compas or a better GPS:)

Last I looked you are west of S.A. and over near BuddyRich. But then again I am a transplanted Buckeye.

JB

If you are in Rio Medina and 28 miles east of San Antonio................... better get a new compas or a better GPS:)

Last I looked you are west of S.A. and over near BuddyRich. But then again I am a transplanted Buckeye.

JB

Jeeze JB, yeah yous right. Probably why I usually am lost.

WEST. WEST ... where the sun goes down. That side. Yep I bees WEST of SA. Matter of fact I live like 600 feet from the Budster.

Its great to hear from you! Been awhile.

Hey Leonard. How are you and yours doing? Yeah, I always have been a quiet sort ...

But, few years, hip and knee replacement, 200,000 miles on the old bike ... I am still out here and enjoying the ride. Mater of fact me and Buddy had a nice ride this afternoon. 80 degrees out today and nice.

You guys should come out!