IGNORED

2007 Yamaha royal star venture blue/black color

Well fellas I found my dream bike. A farmer around here bought this bike and didnt ride it very much so the farmer traded it in for a rino. It only has 2000 miles on it and as far as i can see there is a little scratch on the hard bags and a blemish. There is little bit of scraches on the windshield but not bad. The guy wants 10500.00 for it. The dealer will clean carbs, replace battery, and give oil change and get it ready for me when summer hits no charge, inlcude in the 10500. Do you guys think this is a good deal. Any input will be apprechiated. Thanks Color is bule and black 2 tone.

Sounds fair but a set of new shoes sure would sweeten the deal just point out to the dealer how old they are and ask him if he would ride on them. You might just get a new set. Pretty sure 10,500 is over the NADA book value but considering the work he is going to do would offset that unless he just runs some Seafoam through the carbs and changes oil. Go for the new tires even if there new OEM's

NADA prices, FYI:

Pricing

Suggested List PriceLow

RetailAverage RetailBase Price$17,099$8,225$10,825See all opOptions: (add options)

tions chosen

TOTAL PRICE$17,099$8,225$10,825

EDIT: sorry the above pricing is scrambled. I had cleaned it up but that is what posted.

Anyhow, go chase some pricing on NAPD, Kelly Blue Book, Edmonds and then the auction markets and here, on this website. MG

Edited by Mike G in SC

Good luck I was off a little on the NADA thanks Mike but I don't think it's to bad a deal with or without the tires. But hey it's the middle of winter he ought to be ready to deal. Unless he is a really great dealer the farmer probably didn't get near that on trade in.

Ps Check on the original sales date you might get lucky and have a little bit of warranty left

I'd be more interested in exactly, "how" he intends on cleaning them...

an 07 with 2000 miles?

I bought a 07 with 498 miles two years ago. PO had stated that a float or two that had stuck and he had to tap on carbs, and seafoam ... blah blah blah... point is... I couldn't get it perfectly adjusted when doing a carb tune. Then i developed a leak in my carb bowls from using (i'm guessing) older carb cleaner and ethanol gas, neither of which likes rubber.

To make a long story short, I had to take carbs completly off. clean and rebuild and had to change float levels. Now it carbtunes perfectly.

Make sure the dealer is going to 100% stand behind this "new bike". How many days? (90?)

Have a member from here help do a carbtune, If you don't have one.

Make sure the cruise control, radios and cb work and the back shock holds air....

I wouldn't worry about the tires if they are the Dunlop 404's. Youll be changing them this comming winter anyway :whistling:

KBB is quoting $9335. for one in Excellent condition...(they always run low)

NADA is quoting $10825 for average retail...

Good luck

Playboys correct on that warranty.... my warrenty runs out the end of march(time to get my new shock)..LOL

make sure its not in the serial numbers that had a recall in 07 for head gasket leak???

Edited by CaptainJoe

Also keep in mind that Ventures don't move very quickly off show room floors. Bet you have room to barter for a better price.

With a 2007.... when does the warranty expire (starts from original date of purchase and is transferable at the dealers). If the Yamaha 5 year warranty is up.... try to give you a warranty from the dealer. Be prepared to replace the battery, tires good for 7 years so you'll be looking at doing them regardless of mileage in 2 years, low mileage could be an issue for carbs. Hopefully you've checked the shock for oil leakage.

I'd be more interested in exactly, "how" he intends on cleaning them...

an 07 with 2000 miles?

I bought a 07 with 498 miles two years ago. PO had stated that a float or two that had stuck and he had to tap on carbs, and seafoam ... blah blah blah... point is... I couldn't get it perfectly adjusted when doing a carb tune. Then i developed a leak in my carb bowls from using (i'm guessing) older carb cleaner and ethanol gas, neither of which likes rubber.

To make a long story short, I had to take carbs completly off. clean and rebuild and had to change float levels. Now it carbtunes perfectly.

Make sure the dealer is going to 100% stand behind this "new bike". How many days? (90?)

Have a member from here help do a carbtune, If you don't have one.

Make sure the cruise control, radios and cb work and the back shock holds air....

I wouldn't worry about the tires if they are the Dunlop 404's. Youll be changing them this comming winter anyway :whistling:

KBB is quoting $9335. for one in Excellent condition...(they always run low)

NADA is quoting $10825 for average retail...

Good luck

Playboys correct on that warranty.... my warrenty runs out the end of march(time to get my new shock)..LOL

make sure its not in the serial numbers that had a recall in 07 for head gasket leak???

Heres the kicker, There is no battery in it, so I wouldnt be able to test the electronics. maybe i can get them to put a battery in it so I can Test them.

So then its considered "non_running". I think if it was me I would want new tires on it. If it in deed has been sitting that long the tires have probably taken a "set" and has flat spots. I would be cautious about not running, I would want a battery in it to check all the goods out. Especially if you dont have warrenty to fall back on. AS far as the shock goes, I think its kind of one of them things thats been known to go bad but not everyone has the problem. Maybe you can work out a deal to split the cost or something. I would hazard a guess the dealer didnt give much either, less than 8k would be guess. Good luck.

For my :2cents: worth, I'd take a detour AND a diversion and give it a BIG miss.

Look for something that is on the road, running, loved and for sale.

That way you know it works.

Like I said - my :2cents: worth (which is worth about 2.08c in Oz)! :rotf:

For my :2cents: worth, I'd take a detour AND a diversion and give it a BIG miss.

Look for something that is on the road, running, loved and for sale.

That way you know it works.

Like I said - my :2cents: worth (which is worth about 2.08c in Oz)! :rotf:

What spear said. More miles on one of these V-4's does not mean lower value. I would shy away from one that has just sat around that long. A better buy would be one that is running, and the owner or dealer can give you some background on it. That one may have had mice in the air cleaners, wires chewed, stuff in the mufflers, etc. With no battery and with carbs that will for sure need serviced I would absolutely be more comfortable dealing for a running, rideable bike.

I bought my '07 in January 2010 from a dealer, it was fully serviced and hooked up to a battery tender, still had some warranty. 25 mile ride home during a warm spell and I smiled all the way.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but maybe you should look elsewhere. Hope you find a good one, this one should be lower $ because of all the unknowns. My :2cents::2cents: four cents worth.

Yep, they sure are purdy!

Heres the kicker, There is no battery in it, so I wouldnt be able to test the electronics. maybe i can get them to put a battery in it so I can Test them.

If this is an "as is" sale I would walk away... If the only thing he is going to do is change a battery, some oil and dump some seafoam in it without gaurenteeing anything else, walk away.

For this price "everything should work and be warrented for at least 90 days" along with having any recall issues fixed... like i said before there was a head gasket problem on(some of the) the 07's make sure it was done...

Is there a factory warranty? If so Yamaha will pay to fix anything and everything...

At this time of year you could probably find a newer higher milage bike for same or less...

of course financing comes into play and i dont know your situation.

The good thing about buying a previously owned used bike is you basically get the add ons free....like luggage rack, highway pegs extra lighting and lighted spoiler... as we all go crazy over BLING...:mo money:

Edited by CaptainJoe

First one I tried to buy was blue, might have been solid blue though. Somewhere around 05-08 range. If skill wise your ok with fixing some things that helps. I would definatly want an up close and personal inspection to see what I was getting into. If the dealer is going to inspect and give some kind of warrenty or maybe help some on the cost of an extended warrenty.........

well guys i maybe need to get some more info on previous owner, I looked at it and under the chassis, everything looks really good, excellent shape. The guys buy the looks of it keeped it cover. But you guys are right we maybe need to dig in to some history before I commit. And I have had family and friends buy other rec vehicles and everyone said he does a very good job satisfying his customers.

well I got the number and called the farmer, He said that he stored it in his heated shop 60 to 70 degrees and he stores a few older classic cars and he said he has never had problem with mice. And he said everything electrical worked perfectly. And I asked him about recalls and he said he never did get a recalls done but it sounds like he bought it later in the year so it maybe missed all of the recalls.

Also talked to lonnie that owns yamaha dealer, and hes said the only way he will do it, is take of carbs and clean and rebuild the carbs. As far and I can tell he is a trustworthy guys and he never steer anyone I know wrong

Edited by gamberch

My two cents is probably worth less but here ya go... Before I even thought about coming on this forum, I looked all over the country for a bike and any information to help make a choice. Then I came on this forum and was asking ( more like bugging lol) questions. I find these guys to be of utmost knowledgable and helpful. If you can not get any if not all of the accessories to work, to see if there is a shortage, etc. I would pass on the bike. You should know everything to work as it should, period. The dealer, if he is on the up and up, would do all he can to make sure you are satisfied. Bottom line, turn over all stones, if you have any reservations, leave it and look elsewhere. For the price you are willing to pay, you will be able to buy a great venture without worrying about what works etc. for me , I waited for my 4 th bike and it came with a barons lowering kit, trunk racks, foot pegs, trunk light etc. all stuff I would have bought on my own. Good luck and do not let emotions drive you JUST to that bike.

Sounds like a good buy tho a little high.Since he said he is removing the carbs and doing a complete rebuild you should be OK that way.Even with heated garage do not ride on the old tires get news even if you have to buy them youself. Old tires were the cause of my wreck in 2011.I had bought a 2008 RSV with only 511 miles on it and didn't change the tires. $300 for tires would have been a lot cheaper then the $150000 the hospital cost.

I have made buy decision on this bike. But I thank everyone on this fourm for there input and it help me made my decision. I am going to buy this bike. It is in Like New Condition. I looked at everything and everything looks great. Lonnie will rebuild my clean and rebuild the carbs. And put a new battery in it. I trust Lonnie because I have a big name in my town (small town 20,000 people) and if somethings goes wrong he knows its his ass and his business on the line + I have a big mouth ;) I have talked to the previous owner and I trusted everything he told me plus he still has stock exhaust he's going to drop off. The bike was stored in heated garage and away from mice. I mean come on he has 3 nice classics in there and you dont think he would take care of the mice problem if he had it, I'm thinking he would. There has not been any recalls done on this bike, and I talked to lonnie about this and he insured me that in march or april when I want my bike to get service with carbs, there going to type vin # in and check for recalls. If there are any they are going to do it right then and there. There going to store it for me intill march or april when the work gets done. I know many of you guys told me not to do it but from what I see, theres nothing wrong with it and its like new, but without the 9000 had to the price. But I have to agree, I think I am going to had new tires, better be safe then sorry.