IGNORED

Let's Talk Politics

Freebird

Actually....let's NOT talk politics. :)

Here's the thing folks. I know that as we get closer and closer to the primaries and then the general election, it will get harder and harder to not get into political discussions here. I'm sorry folks, I just can't let that happen. Here is why.

IT MAKES ME MAD

That is the truth of the matter. I know that some of you really enjoy debating the virtues, or lack thereof, of the various candidates, issues, etc. I also know that most of us feel very strongly about our positions on these things. I can assure you that I am no exception. I am VERY political. I've actually written to my representatives about 25 times during the past 12 months alone. How many of you have taken the time to do that? I have strong opinions, I get very angry with some of the decisions made by those who are SUPPOSED to be representing the people and I make my voice heard loud and often. It does very little good but that along with voting is all that I am able to do.

We can debate these issue here until the end of time and it will NOT change a thing. My political leanings are a result of things that I have seen and experienced during my 52 years on this earth. I am smart enough to read, research, investigate and form my own opinions about the issues. If I told each one of you that you could post 100 pages of political commentary and opinion, there is not a single one of you who could change my mind about what I believe and how I will cast my votes. As I said, my political beliefs are based upon my life happenings, not anything that I've heard from a politician, friend, news personality or anybody else. I think that most people are the same way.

That being the case, what is there to gain by venting our anger, frustration, opinions here? I try to be very fair in the way that I run this site. I know that we have people that are Republicans, Democrats, Independents. I know that we have people of various races, religions, socio economic standings. We have people from various countries and cultures. We are NOT going to agree on politics and we are NOT going to persuade anybody else to think the same way that we do with the words that we can write here.

I'll be honest with you about something else. If we start discussing politics here and I get involved, some of you are not going to like what I have to say. Whether I'm to the left or to the right, there are going to be some of you who lean the other way and there are going to be feelings hurt. I would much rather have as many of you as possible as friends....friendship based upon the thing that brings us together as a group... a club...a family. I am only human and as much as I try to be tolerant of those whom have opinions that differ from my own, I am not strong enough to always separate it. I do have close friends from different political parties and for the most part, I do respect them. I will also stand beside them and fight for their right to have those differing opinions. The truth is though, there are some specific issues that I just cannot understand how people can feel the way that they do. For that reason, I choose to NOT discuss political issues with most people because it could very well result in my loosing some respect for them and them for me.

So that is the way that I feel. That is why we will continue to keep politics to a minimum here and I hope that you will all work with me to see that this rule is followed. If this site ever DOES turn political, I can promise you that it will be in support of MY political views and some of you wouldn't care for that at all. :)

:thumbsup: Well said my friend. Delete any posts that vaguely references it. May also suggest that we ALL remove any and all references to canidates in our signatures. I saw one, don't even remember who it was and it doesn't matter. My first thought was "Well, I'll add my canidate to my sign", even did it. Then I thought, no this is not the place and took it off. Just my 2 cents.

Way to go Don. This is a Motorcycle site and a Friendship site. Politics doesn't belong with either.:cool10:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points and well made Don. I also have e-mailed and written my congressman and Senator on numerous issues, mostly Iraq lately. I feel I have the right as my son is in the process of deploying there. I've even enouraged one Senator here in Indiana to change political parties to better reflect his position on numerous issures. :whistling: Sometimes I also get upset about these things too. My thanks for keeping this site as non political as possible.

I did notice that that thread yesterday was deleted right after I posted my thoughts on the topic. My thanks there too for taking it that thread off. Sorry if I offended anyone, but just couldn't pass up the opportunity so neatly handed to me to respond.

:big-grin-emoticon:

Steve

Don, you are spot on about the explosive nature of today's political debate. But I have to say, if there was any internet community that could discuss these things in a civil manner, Venturerider.org is it. And it is virtually all due to Don Nelson's insistence (and occasional enforecment) on civil discourse. And if anybody is inclined to pray, I suggest you pray for all the politicians, that they learn to do the same.

Guest Saddletramp

:322:There are actually three things you don't discuss in public or on a public forum; religion----politics-------------and-----------------anothers spouse!!!!!!!!:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I agree very much with the Political stuff being left elsewhere. I belong to a Mako Boats forum and even though it is great there and filled with information they tend to get into very raw political banter and people get very upset. Even the owner of the site gets involved and posts stuff of that nature to. Very Bad. As for the Religion stuff I feel it is fine to state how you feel but as many have different feelings on this to debate religious views gets just a touchy. I am a Christian and thats part of my personality but its not my job to come on here and tell everyone that they have to be to.

While I can see your point in the OP Freebird, I do find it somewhat amusing that you can get so worked up about someones political views that you would lose respect for them. I have very good friends whom I respect that have different political views, and it has not hurt our friendship in any way, shape, or form. My respect for them is typically based on their friendship and trustworthiness, and the way they conduct their lives. So if they are a good family man/woman, give their time to help others, and strive to be good American citizens, they will remain my friends regardless of their political views. Granted we might rib each other now and then when someone we voted for does or says something stupid, but I still like and respect them.

I to have strong political points of view, but I have been influenced by others whom I respect that point things out that I was unaware of. So while I may not change my core beliefs on some hot topic issues such as abortion, gun ownership, death penalty, etc., I can still be influenced on other issues.

All that said, it is your site and you can choose to make any rules or regulations you care to. I respect your right to do so even if I do not agree. ;)

`

There are two posts that question how I could lose respect for somebody because of a difference in political issues. I can't really explain that without getting into a deep political discussion. The simple fact is that 20 years ago, I wouldn't have felt this way. Now days though, there is such a huge difference in what some on the far left believe as opposed to what some on the far right believe that I readily admit that I cannot respect some views and when I know that some people do support some views which I consider extreme, I do lose some respect for them. There are a handful of issues that I simply cannot understand how people can think the way that they do. That's all I can say about it. It may not seem right to some of you but I'm just being honest.

So...maybe it's time to close this thread. There's not a lot more that can be said without getting into the exact conversations that we wish to avoid.

Well..Anyone who knows me knows where I am on Politics..But I keep hearing my Uncle in my ear saying "Tom,a fool will not take advise and a smart man dont need it" so I try and keep my mouth shut on ANYTHING remotely close to the above advise. Thats All. Tom

Guest BluesLover

What about offensive jokes? Jokes that demean certain ethnic groups? Whether we like it or not, our members are of all races and colours.

Thank you, politics are not motorcycles. I for one come to this site to relax and enjoy the friendly banter. Not read or listen to political propaganda. Like you I do write my local congressman whenever I have a problem and I feel he is the only one that can address the issue and do something about it. By the way, it does work for all of those that say their local representatives are worthless. They do listen, after all they owe you their job, one vote at a time. The only way to handle politics is to get involved. Its kind of like the old saying " Don't talk bad about the farmers with your mouth full". Having two sons in the military, one out now for 4 years and the other still in now for 9 years making a career of it. Politics is a touchy issue to say the least in our home. Once again THANK YOU.

As it has been said many times:

Our country is 40% Liberal & 40% Conservative. Our actions & votes are predictable, but negate each other.

The 20% in-between, do the actual deciding. Sometimes, I wonder how much coin-tossing goes on in that 20%.

Whatever your thoughts, failing to vote is a vote for the opposition.

Most of us will need to support our 40%.

If you don't vote, you lose your right to complain about the results.

i have finally decided to make my anouncement public on here .i am stepping into the race for the position of president of this here country .your vote would be appreciated.i already have been assured of one vote. mine. this ain't no joke. i am now accepting very large campaign donations. :clap2::clap2::clap2::sign29::clap2::2133: sincerly william g. predock

i have finally decided to make my anouncement public on here .i am stepping into the race for the position of president of this here country .your vote would be appreciated.i already have been assured of one vote. mine. this ain't no joke. i am now accepting very large campaign donations. :clap2::clap2::clap2::sign29::clap2::2133: sincerly william g. predock

Cool, Bill, here's my :2cents:, good luck!

I agree about keeping religion out to a point. There is no place here to discuss different faiths, beliefs, etc. What is allowed though are people asking for prayers for loved ones and etc. If some people find that offensive, then oh well.

The reason politics is as volatile a subject as religion is because, unlike you, most people also base their political preferences on faith, and just follow what they are told from the party to which they have aligned themselves.

I personally don't think it is fair that I never get to vote in primaries, simply because I refuse to be part of any party that doesn't involve beer.