IGNORED

Dropped my Venture and need help ????

cb1313

I dropped my bike in my driveway and blew out a disc in my back trying to pick it up. Been in bed for ten days now. I am 61 and live with a few disabities... 4 bad back disc , 5 right shoulder operation and 2 knee. I am heathy .. just broken. I have watched " who to pick up your bike " on YOUTUBE and now see I did everything wrong.

That is not my question.... somewhere on the forum I THINK I read if you trike a Venture there is now a "reverse kit" ???? If I can not get "reverse" I am going to have to sell and think about a Goldwing trike. I have no problem with getting a Goldwing but it would be cheaper if I could trike my Venture. I like my venture for it's stlying and dependability .

Any information would be nice thank you Cb

Reverse on a trike is TOTALLY over rated unless you have no strength in your legs at all. A little planning with regard to parking can eliminate the need for a reverse just by letting gravity take care of it.

if parking in a 'down hill' situation is unavoidable, make your approach so that you can let gravity back you into the spot. Then all you have to do is pull out.

I understand talk is cheap especially coming from someone that doesn't have a screwed up back and knees but if you ride 2 up, backing is a piece of cake on a trike.

Again, a little planning goes a loooooong way when riding a trike because gravity really is our friend.

Good Luck with your healing and trike decisions

I agree 100% with Dick on this one, I just purchased, with Dick's help a 93 Royale Motor Trike and it doesnt have reverse. I back it into my garage to park it and on level ground it is very easy to back up, and if your vertically challenged and cant get both feet on the ground it rolls very easy pushing it by hand. Just be carefull where you park, I either pull through the parking spot so I can go straight out or if its on an incline let it roll back into the spot. My wife can even push our trike back with me on it.

Reverse on a trike is TOTALLY over rated unless you have no strength in your legs at all. A little planning with regard to parking can eliminate the need for a reverse just by letting gravity take care of it.

if parking in a 'down hill' situation is unavoidable, make your approach so that you can let gravity back you into the spot. Then all you have to do is pull out.

I understand talk is cheap especially coming from someone that doesn't have a screwed up back and knees but if you ride 2 up, backing is a piece of cake on a trike.

Again, a little planning goes a loooooong way when riding a trike because gravity really is our friend.

HOPE THIS HELPS!! I have had 5 back surguries myself and know how you feel, it aint fun.. Get well and enjoy the following good news (its a copy/paste).

scott

"Reverse gear now available for the Royal Star Venture Trike Hannigan and Triwing conversions. Hannigan has more room for the install and the cost is $1200.00.Triwing requires some fabrication and costs $1600.00. It’s your choice however the Hannigan conversion costs significantly more. Contact Paul Shott, owner and CEO of Misty Mountain Cycle in Heber Springs, Arkansas. 501-362-4044. Good Luck for now we have three wheels and reverse!!! You will have to get the trike to Arkansas or have him do the entire job. Vendors might arrange a trip to learn the install and conversion. Any way you look at it…it’s a win win situation."

I dropped my bike in my driveway and blew out a disc in my back trying to pick it up. Been in bed for ten days now. I am 61 and live with a few disabities... 4 bad back disc , 5 right shoulder operation and 2 knee. I am heathy .. just broken. I have watched " who to pick up your bike " on YOUTUBE and now see I did everything wrong.

That is not my question.... somewhere on the forum I THINK I read if you trike a Venture there is now a "reverse kit" ???? If I can not get "reverse" I am going to have to sell and think about a Goldwing trike. I have no problem with getting a Goldwing but it would be cheaper if I could trike my Venture. I like my venture for it's stlying and dependability .

Any information would be nice thank you Cb

Sorry to hear about you bad luck. I wanted to let you know a very good friend of mine owns a shop and builds trikes. He has done them all and I wanted to let you know if you have any questions he would be more than happy to talk to you and answer them. He also sells trikes so maybe he might have something in your price range with reverse.

Guest tx2sturgis

My experience with most trikes is that they push pretty easily when you're on a level surface. Pushing one uphill or thru potholes and bumps would not be as easy, but even if you have to do it, remember, your not also having to balance the trike. You dont push a trike from the saddle normally. You step off, grab the bar with one hand, and push with the other hand on a fender, grabrail, seat, whatever you can push thats fairly sturdy. You can even turn the bars to full lock and push gently with both hands on the fairing or forks...they roll pretty easy if not on a rough or grassy surface.

And parking the rig with a little forethought just like we do on 2 wheels, will be a big advantage.

My thoughts would be that if your legs and hips and back are in good enough condition that you can do all the normal things involved with riding a 2-wheeler, then you're in good enough condition to push a trike 10 feet a couple times a week or so. Or put another way, if you can push a lawn mower around your yard in the summer, you can easily push a trike a few feet.

If you cant even walk without a walker, or a wheelchair is part of your life, then YES...you need reverse on a trike.

I wonder if your future riding will still include multistate touring and all day comfort, or if your riding times and distances will be less and less as the years pile on. Not that its any of my business, except that buying a $30,000 trike or triking the Venture might cost 10 grand or more, heck, you could buy a good used (or new) single wheel drive Ural for about $10,000, maybe even less.

No, they arent set up as well for multi-state touring, but for local use, around town...one might be an option, and by the way, the Urals come with reverse!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/world/europe/29sidecar.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Edited by tx2sturgis

I totally agree with the HummingBird. A little planning & thought eliminates REVERSE GEAR needs. I had torn my rotator cup trying to keep my venture from tipping while backing it up or turning at the end of a parking effort. My Voyager kit was a good low cost light riding resolution, but a full Trike Conversion is the best.

HummingBird's GoldWing Trike is very nice & if he says he could do without if he had to, I believe him.

JohnB

I sure hope your healing goes well.

It was never asked, but you said you hurt your back "trying" to pick the bike up. The bike is not still sleeping in the driveway is it??? If it is I am sure someone not to far away can come pick it up and put it away for you.