IGNORED

Great supper tonight

Gary N.

I'm home alone tonight so I looked in the freezer to see what was in there and I swear we could eat for a year without shopping. I found a few meat pies (Tourtière) that Leslie and I made so I put one in the oven.

Boy did that hit the spot and bring back lots of memories too. When my mom died in 1995 Leslie took on the job of baking the meat pies every Christmas. Last year (2006) we made 30. A lot are given to family and friends but I still have a couple left. When they're gone they're gone but I will enjoy every bite and think of the time spent with Leslie stirring the pot :stirthepot: while she made the pie shells.

I need to look a little more and see if there's any fruit cake left in there...LOL. We made that every Christmas too. I have never had any as good as her's.

Amazing how certain foods bring back memories. My grandmother's apple pie, the fruitcake my mom made, and so many other things. Enjoy the food and the memories. And if you find a tin of Tim Horton's fix a pot for me.

JB

As you said JB, food's do bring back memories, I remember as a school boy back in England, my grandmothers broth with dumplings and fresh bread she baked in the fire stoked oven, ooooh yeh.

Hope you enjoyed the pie Gary, it was nice to meet you the other day.

Take care

Ian

gary, the only "meat pie", i ever ate, was a "cajun meat pie".

believe me , when i tell you, ONE of those is enough to last a lifetime!

i am SO glad, that you are finding all those little things, that made you and leslie happy , together.

anything i can do for ya, bud, all you have to do is yodel!

lol

just jt

It is funny how foods are.....there is no-one in this world that could make cinnamon buns that Mom made. Now there are some good tries out there but nothing quit like Mom did up. I loved sitting around the table while she made these things up. She and I would clean the bottom of the pan to scrape any left over cinnamon.brown sugar syrup that fell.

Take care Gary.

Gary,I never had meat pie but next time you are down we will go over to Llano and have some BBQ at Coopers..then off to Corsicana,TX and pick you up a Fruit Cake! Take Care my Friend,Tom and Debby

Hey Tom,

I'll have to take you up on that offer. So you never had meat pie EH? It's feel good comfort food. Especially on a cold winter night.

Here's a recipe that sounds close to what we used. Except we used 10 lbs of ground pork, 10 lbs of ground beef and I can't remember how many lbs of potatoes. We had to use every large pot we owned and my job was to keep stirring until cooked so the ingredients wouldn't stick to the bottom of the pot. This usually took about 3 hours.

http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/recipes/recipe64.html

It is funny how foods are.....there is no-one in this world that could make cinnamon buns that Mom made. Now there are some good tries out there but nothing quit like Mom did up. I loved sitting around the table while she made these things up. She and I would clean the bottom of the pan to scrape any left over cinnamon.brown sugar syrup that fell.

Take care Gary.

OH yes! Leslie made those too, every Christmas. She put them on a big cookie sheet in the shape of a Christmas tree to bake. She decorated them with green and red cherries.

It's no wonder I weighed 260 lbs.

Guest maddabber

My Grandmother made lemon pie :) and my Dad use to make juicy butter tarts, someone used to sneek a few away and hide them. Have no idea who would ever do that:whistling:. Well now that you guys have got me thinking food, guess I will check out the fridge.

Take care Gary.

That recipe sounds for all the world like "shepard's pie". I don't know the specific ingredients but it reminds me of a little family restaurant at a little town in GA, along the Intercoastal Waterway, where we stopped for the day when moving my brothers boat. They served it up in a big pan on a steam table, but man that was a seriously good eating dish. (actually dishes..I went back a couple of times; Hey, it was an all you could eat buffet, what can I say?) :whistling:

My mother used to make fruitcakes every year. I never understood why. No one every ate them or even admitted wanting them. She eventually switched over to my favorite...nut rolls. I gotta go get a snack.

autopilot

It's a little Christmas present :happy34:

Very glad to hear that you were able to have that supper, I'm sure it meant more than anything. I used to be spoiled with Moms home made bread and her home made noodles. She had a big 3'X5' steel table, you know the ones covered with white enamel I believe. and she used to roll out the dough and cut noodles out of them, nice and thick. Then make whatever soup was desired Chicken noodle was my favorite....that was some feel good fodd for me :)

Gary,

like Squid said, it's a special present for you. The good memory is a bonus! Debbie has been gone nearly a year now and I still get surprised about what brings back certain memories and good feelings. Best wishes my friend and call if you ever need to talk.

Gary, glad to hear that you had a good night and wonderful memories.

And here I thought I was the only person who actually LIKES Fruit cake...

My father happens to like fruitcake and he has a specific bakery that makes his favorite. I always order him a fruitcake from this bakery for his Christmas present, this year was no different. Except for the fact that my oldest daughter was shopping on the internet and ran across fruitcakes, remembered her grampa likes them and ordered one for him. Okay now he has 2 fruitcakes headed his directions. A week later my youngest daughter called and mentioned that she bought grampa a present for Christmas - you guessed it a third fruitcake. I think my parents will still be eating fruitcake on the 4th of July this year.

Hey Gary. Good to see you are on the site again! I've never gotten to eat any of Leslie's cooking, yet, but always heard she was one of the best! So, if you ever want to share one of those pies with me and Al, just give us a call and we'll come help you out with them!!!

p.s. I happen to know Sweetnothings secret receipe for cheescakehttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/venturerider/ADB/hieyes.jpg