IGNORED

Check SWR on CB Radio

bobder41

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
It should read 0, if it doesn't then you need to adjust the antenna.

Many decades ago, I made a living in a CB shop. I did that for about 4 years, back in the CB craze of the late 70's. I will try to help.

SWR can never be '0'...its a ratio. (standing wave ratio)

1:1 (expressed like this: one to one) is the lowest it can get, and the meter will indicate that (1) at minimum deflection.

Also, 1.2:1 (one point two to one)or up to about 1.5:1 is considered good enough, and on a motorcycle, you may be lucky to see it at around 2:1. I would only attempt tuning the antenna if the reading shows over 2. And if its over about 3, you should not transmit for very long, until you can tune the antenna and reduce the reading. Receiving is fine and will not damage the radio, no matter what the transmitted SWR is.

Cougar, to get a reading of the entire antenna and feedline system, you need to hook up the short coax jumper to the radio output connector, which will be on the back of the radio, or the radio 'black box'...on the 2gen its under the trunk...not sure where it is on a trike conversion. If memory serves, there is a short cable that runs to the antenna on the left. Hook that jumper to the input (TX) on the meter. Then connect the antenna coax and/or short jumper to the antenna (ANT) connector on the meter.

I'm not looking at the bike right now, its 75 miles from where I'm sitting as I type this..and I cant remember the exact connector configuration.

The bike should be out in your yard or driveway, not in the garage. You should not stand near the antenna or touch it when taking readings.

If there is a setscrew, use that to lengthen or shorten the antenna. If its been changed to a fiberglass antenna, most of those tune by trimming material (wire and fiberglass) off the tip. Some have a tuneable metal tip.

Here is a some info on tuning once all the connections have been made:

Be sure to key the mic and recalibrate for forward power (FOR or SET) using that 'set' knob to 'cal' or 'set' mark before EVERY reading on EVERY channel...EVERY TIME. it only takes a few seconds each time. Release the mic button, and then set the switch to REV or REF to take the actual readings. Key the mic briefly:

If you see full scale (or almost full scale) deflection in the REF setting, you have either a shorted or open coax or connector, or a seriously out of tune or defective antenna. On the REV setting, lower reading is always better.

When the reflected (REF) reading on ch1 is say, 1.5, and the reading on ch 20 is say, 1.2, and on ch 40 the reading is 1.7....you are FINE...button it up.

If you get readings like this: ch1, 1.8, then ch20, 2.5, and then ch40 is 3..thats too high and should be tuned.

Easy way to remember: If the SWR is too HIGH on the highest channel, the antenna is too high (too long, so shorten it)

If the SWR is too HIGH on the lowest channel, the antenna is too low. (lengthen it).

Post your results and maybe we can help you determine what you need to do.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Awesome Brian. Thanks. heck that should be in the tech section.

I like how you put it out there to me. now that makes since :thumbsup2:

I will post what I find when done.

I also printed the above out as well.

I have also come the the conclusion that there is ONLY two places

to connect a SWR meter. one is in the black box and the other would

have to be a (T) connector in the top of the base where the antenna screws

in place. yes, being triked makes it a bit harder.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

Jeff, the buzz could be because you were in the garage, if you are near a overhead power line that may also cause it. If you are outside and it's still making that noise I would look at the inside radio used to receive and see if its buzzing when listening to others. Everything we use these days is rf and has the ability to cause interference. We chase these gremlins all the time at work and find a lot of innocent overlooked culprits causing noise or interference.

Kevin, yeah I might not need to tune at all maybe.

It's was very cold yesterday and I had the garage door

shut and the heat running. and above the trike is four

10 foot lone florescent lights and another 3 four foot ones as well.

I will try again when the weather is better and take it outside.

I have the cables coming and will get the meter next week.

now I am on a mission just to see what the OEM CB antenna is doing when testing it.

that parts are cheap enough just to have it on hand I guess.

THANKS !

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have all my Stuff to do this with now.

The SWR meter and the cables. so now what

is the mhz/watts or whatever for our cb box.. I have a setting of

20/200 and 2000 I am thinking 20? to set the SWR on ?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey, can I just leave the SWR meter hooked up full time if I wanted to?

Edited by Cougar

• 1 month later...

Still in trunk I made it so I can just put an adaptor in place of it as well

if I want to ever remove it.

radio shack has the tuner for $ 29--- going to hang onto mine.

as I also will be adding the fire sticks as well, maybe next winter

No worries...

I just bought...

Mura SWR/Power/FS Meter CB Ham Radio Field Strength Meter CBM-20 off eBay - used for 14.99 delivered.

For that price & one just one time to use it AOK

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey, can I just leave the SWR meter hooked up full time if I wanted to?

You can do that, just be aware that its a test instrument....so....the vibration, bouncing, heat and cold, dust, and magnetic fields that it will be subject to on the bike might eventually cause the meter movement (which is delicate) to either lose accuracy, or have a vibration related failure of the internal SWR 'bridge' which is also somewhat fragile. Remember how it came out of the box? Most likely it had either foam packing or bubblewrap...and for good reason. Jolting it around will ruin whatever accuracy it might have been set to, at the factory.

Like any fine test instrument, it should be stored away after use, so it will be accurate the NEXT time you need it.

Just sayin. :2cents:

Yeah, most likely I will be removing it for more room ... I just still have it back there

as I STILL have had no time to mess with it. And like I said. I did put in a adapter

so I do not have to keep un-bolting the trunk when the meter is needed. I now can

un-screw it from the back and add the female/female adapter and its good to go.

and place it back in that fragile box with no foam or anything in it except two card

board sides :confused24:

I will let you know the results soon tho :rolleyes:

Guest tx2sturgis

and place it back in that fragile box with no foam or anything in it except two card

board sides :confused24:

Ok...its a semi-fine test instrument.

Or, they want you to drop it and buy another one!

:stickpoke: