IGNORED

Any downfalls to installing a new stator and R/R

Hi all

I'm new here to the site and looking to purchase a 2009 or later RSV. Im coming from a VTX but wanted more of a full dress tourer. I usually run in the winter heater jacket, pants, gloves, gps, and charge my phone. With the RSV in addition I wanted to get a heated seat and grips. From the readings on this site it seems to make that combination work I have to upgrade the stator and and R/R.

My mechanical knowledge is limited to brakes and fluids so I would probably have to take the bike in to have this work done. My questions is are there any downfalls to have this done, will the dealers know how to install this R/R or will I have to take it to a different motorcycle mechanic and finally after this is done will I have any other problems associated to the upgrade with the bike. I see some people have gone through several stators but I'm not sure why they go through so many.

Im very interested in the bike and appreciate any education you guys can provide on this

Thanks

Vince

Edited by orlean1

Vince,

It's kinda a crap shoot, I know folks that have not done a thing to their electrical system. If it's an '09 there is still atleast 2 years on the warranty. You can really keep the system happy by using LED's wherever you can to keep the load down for the other items you want to use. Tail lights and the LED driving lights are a good idea for keeping the load down.

A heated seat and grips can use a good amount of juice, be smart about how you use them and you more than likely wont have issues. The stator is a reasonable sized job, and not for the faint of heart. There's lots of help here and if your any bit of mechanically inclined we can help you with a lot of things you may want to try.

Vince, as was stated above, the replacement of the stator is a sizeable task, but the replacement of the R/R is very easy. I have done both to my '06 RSMTD. I did the work myself, and would advise that you may want to have someone else do the stator, but you can probably do the R/R yourself.

Doing the work will almost...almost...double your wattage output. It will take you from a 30 amp stator (360 watts) to somewhere between a 50 to 55 amp stator (600 to 660 watts).

I would tell you to NOT waste your money, or the wattage draw on having a heated seat installed on the bike. It is not worth the draw on the electrical system, and since you are already going to be using heated clothing...there is NO need for the heated seat.

I am a very strong opponent to using heated seats, on any bike. The last place you want to apply heat is the contact pressure points on your butt.

See Rick at Buckeye Performance... www.buckeyeperformance.com

He has the high output stator and the new R/R for your bike.

Hey Vince,

Welcome to the Forum!

Here is the scoop on the Stator and R/R on your 09'RSV.

In 2005, Yamaha finally got their act together concerning the Stator and R/R on their "touring motorcycle". The stator that is in your bike currently can't have another wrap of wire put on it, and fit behind the Stator Cover. It is for all practical purposes, a "High Output" Stator. The R/R unit is manufactured by Shindengen for Yamaha, and there is no better mass produced technology available for the RSV at this time. As long as the Stator and R/R are functioning properly, you have all the "Juice" you can put on your bike. If one or the other of these units fails, or is faltering, that's another issue. I suggest you plug in your goodies, ride the bike "like you stole it", and replace either of these units when they stop working. You can spend $400.00 on a new, High Output Stator and

Shindengen R/R, and not gain a thing. OR you can buy new heated gloves, a vest, a coffee cup warmer, and $100.00 worth of gas. The choice, as always is up to you.

I personally would be the first person in the world to do an upgrade to my motorcycle for safety or performance, or comfort reasons. By I try to never fix anything that "ain't broke".:confused24:

Earl

In 2005, Yamaha finally got their act together concerning the Stator and R/R on their "touring motorcycle". The stator that is in your bike currently can't have another wrap of wire put on it, and fit behind the Stator Cover. It is for all practical purposes, a "High Output" Stator. The R/R unit is manufactured by Shindengen for Yamaha, and there is no better mass produced technology available for the RSV at this time. As long as the Stator and R/R are functioning properly, you have all the "Juice" you can put on your bike. You can spend $400.00 on a new, High Output Stator and

Shindengen R/R, and not gain a thing. I personally would be the first person in the world to do an upgrade to my motorcycle for safety or performance, or comfort reasons.

Earl

Earl, I will not pretend to assume that I know anything more about these bikes than you do. My gig is riding these bikes, but I do have more than 40+ years of wrenching on them, and maintaining all of my own rides, for me to ride all these miles.

That said...I know for certain that I did a full test on the OEM charging system on my '06 RSTD, and the max it would put out was 29.4 amps, at peak. Given that I do utilize additional running lights, heated clothing, GPS, Radar, CB, etc, etc, etc...and I am used to having the 1300 watt alternators of the latest 1800 Wings, I like having as much charging output as possible. Finding out that my OEM system was only 29.4 amps, I elected to replace the OEM stator and R/R, and install the HO stator and R/R. After the work was completed a retest of the system showed that I now have a fully functioning charging system that puts out 52.6 amps, at peak.

I do know of several other RSTD owners that have made the change to HO stators and R/R's, and all of them acknowledge the difference in output. Maybe...just maybe...Yamaha did make a change in some model year to a higher output stator and R/R, but it was certainly not in the 2006 model year bike that I own.

And, the stator I removed from my bike, the OEM stator, was not wound as tight as it could have been. There was a noticeable difference in the windings of the OEM stator and the HO stator.

Is it possible that your bike already had an HO stator and R/R ? Did someone possibly change it out before you bought the bike, or did you buy it brand new?