IGNORED

Its apart! Laptop that is...

RandyR

Using my carry-along netbook at the moment.

I've taken the bold step of upgrading my laptop which got slower and slower the more things I loaded on it. First step was to see if more memory would help as that is relatively easy; so went from 3GB to the max 8GB. Not much performance gain.

So, cpu is the next place to try. I did quite a bit of research and think I found the fastest processor that would be compatible that uses exactly the same amount of power, 25watts. Its a 2 core processor with faster speed and more onboard cache and faster memory access. Should be 2.5 times faster than the old single core cpu according to a benchmark site. (AMD V120 to AMD P650). Bought it used on fleabay for $30.

I downloaded the maintenance guide from the Compaq/HP web page and off to work I went.

Well, its all apart, parts in carefully marked envelopes.

It now should be carefully cleaned. Did you know that 2 pounds of dog hair and potato chip crumbs can find their way to the insides of your computer?

A couple of screws were missing, and I need some electrical cleaner and heatsink tape before putting it back together.

Did I mention that you should never take a laptop apart... Too many small parts in a torture puzzle configuration.

So, I need some VR prayers before attempting to get it all back together....

Guest tx2sturgis

I googled up a few pages with some info for you. I doubt its a hardware issue, but with some crud blocking the cooling fan, that might be related.

http://thepcspy.com/read/what_slows_windows_down/

http://ask-leo.com/why_is_my_machine_slowing_down.html

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/why-windows-slows-down-over-time-30833

Edited by tx2sturgis

Have the motherboard back in the case with the new cpu. I think I've hosed it though. I didn't understand how the miniZIF (zero insertion force) connectors work. They were on 3 or 4 small cables. I may have broken them all. I should stopped when I got to the 1st one and found more detailed instructions than were in the laptop's maintenance guide.

Maybe substantial gobs of silicon will fix everything?

Guest tx2sturgis

If its hosed, I mean, really hosed, take it out in the boonies, set it up against a big rock or tree trunk, aim a video camera at it...and...you know where im going with this dont you?

Pull the hammer back on that .357 magnum, and let the lead fly!

Then post the video on you tube. Better yet, send ME the video, and I will post it! :happy34:

Guest tx2sturgis
I would have replaced the hard drive first, most laptops come with a 5400 rpm hard drive and if you put in a 7200rpm drive the performance gain is awsome.The cpu would have been my last resort.

Dude...you havent SEEN performance gains untill you put an SSD in there. Holy crap they are fast.

20 to 50 times faster!

20 second boot times under Windows. 10 seconds running Linux. Programs, menus, pictures, pop up NOW. They dont do much for webpages of course, since that is dependent on network speed, but I'm VERY impressed with the ones I have used.

You can get a decent 128 GB drive now for $60 to $90. Some of them come with a cloning cable.

250GB-1TB drives are availiable too. If you have a laptop that is FILLED with 500 gb of media then these are not a cheap solution, but if you can live with a bit less media, they are way fast.

Just my 2 :2cents:

Amazon.com: Kingston SSDNow V200 128 GB SATA III 6 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - SV200S37A/128G: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: OCZ 120GB Vertex Plus R2 Series SATA II 2.5-inch SSD with Random Read 4KB 22K IOPS- VTXPLR2-25SAT2-120GB: Computers & Accessories

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2416662&Sku=K24-2107&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001a-_-CatId_5298_K24-2107#

Edited by tx2sturgis

I like the .357 option....

I'm thinking the laptop may be still usable without the options on those broken miniZIF connectors. The first one was a 3rd USB connector. I can live with only 2 USBs working. etc. Will be getting back to it soon.

I do like the idea of the SolidStateDisk, and have been thinking about that. Probably not on that laptop though, maybe on my next big desktop though.

This situation has got me thinking I spend too much time on the computer anyway. Maybe its good riddance....

Guest tx2sturgis
I like the .357 option....

Thought you might! :happy34:

I do like the idea of the SolidStateDisk, and have been thinking about that. Probably not on that laptop though, maybe on my next big desktop though.

This situation has got me thinking I spend too much time on the computer anyway. Maybe its good riddance....

In a desktop, you can use a much smaller SSD for the boot drive, which will contain the entire operating system and many of the programs that you like to have launch fast, and then a regular spinning hard drive for data and media.

I havent built one like this yet, but they are becoming more popular, and I plan to build one soon.

In a laptop or notebook, it actually makes more sense to install an SSD because of the power savings, the immunity from shock forces, and the quick response time, which is handy with a computer thats often booted and used for shorter, but more frequent, uses.

If you feel REALLY adventurous, you might look into installing Linux on that laptop, I have had really good luck with Linux Mint and Ubuntu Linux. Never worry about viruses again, and it wont slow down over time like winders. Of course, thats assuming you get the laptop working again.

www.ubuntu.com

www.linuxmint.com

I see that memory was 3gb., you went to 8gb., if its a win7 3gb. shows me a 32 bit operating system, it only sees up to 3gb. memory no matter what you put in. try going back to 3gb.

It needs 64 bit win7, I'm not sure 32 bit works with ssd harddrives, what was it a sata harddrive.

This is not an accusation: Lots of computer, I'd venture (pun intended) to say that most computers over time get clogged up with lots of junk other than dirt/dust. If the computer is over a couple of years old, you may want to consider doing a clean install of the operating system. That clears out all the old resource hogs and brings it back to an as new status. You might also want to look into your msconfig and see if you have a lot of things running that are unnecessary and can be shut down. And lastly if the machine is over 4-5 years old (not what you wanna hear!) it might be time to ditch it and buy a new one. JMO :)

The reply about the SSD is an excellent fix should you elect to stay with the machine and get it up and going again.

Hooray....

I'm running on the upgraded laptop. EVERYthing works.

I used a drop of Elmer's clear glue on the broken ZIF connectors, but the peripherals they connect are all working. This was optimistic on my part, because it will never come apart again...:whistling:

responding to a few of the suggestions & comments.

o Its too late to put in a new fan. The fan is built into a heatsink assembly.

o the disk drive is a 7200rpm already

o The AMD cpu chips are 64bit and Windows 7 64bit is running (and has been).

o The windows Performance Information and Tools shows a cpu number of 6.2 now, it was 4.3. memory perf is now 7.1 was 5.9. Graphics is 4.2 was 3.9.

o Yes, I likely need to clean up some of the software thats crept onto system.

I also put a new battery on the motherboard, that was easy to do.

guess I'll just go shoot some steel plate hangers instead.

I may consider buying a new netbook in the future with a faster processor and a SSD to carry on the motorcycle. This laptop mostly get used here at home.

This morning I D/L'd and installed Windows 8 Preview on an Acer Aspire One. I had been running Win7 on that. We never use that netbook anymore, so I thought why not give it a try. It's running very well but I'm not all that impressed with Win8! Without a touchscreen it requires a lot of extra mouse clicks and "where is..." & "how do I...". I actually had to Google "how do I shut down Windows 8" this morning before I found where to go to do that. I'm pretty sure Win7 will remain on both desktops and my iPad will remain the choice for bike rides.