IGNORED

How in the world.....?

alwrmcusn

I just made my second attempt at an oil change on my trike.

Attempt #1: Bought an oil filter, oil and and oil filter wrench.

The filter wrench when attached to the socket wrench will not fit onto the filter. There simply is not enough room between the oil filter and the radiator housing. Since I had already drained the oil, I went to get another filter wrench that would work with an open or boxed end wrench. The only filter wrenches were made of plastic. PLASTIC!! The OReilly guy assured me it was designed to withstand the pressure of the wrench on the nut. It failed miserably! Since I could not get the oil filter off. I elected to simply replace the oil and try again later.

Attempt # 2: I bought more oil and three of my friends assured me that the oil filter can be easily removed with a pair of large channel locks. It probably can, but there is no room between the carport floor and the filter to allow the placement of the channel locks!.

Can someone with a trike explain to me how on earth do I get that #%$#&^ oil filter off! Am I supposed to forever take it to a dealer for a $78 oil change?:bang head:

I had the same problem the first time I went to change the oil on my trike.

I found that if I put the front wheel on a 2 x 4 it gave me a little more clearence for swing room.I tried the channelocks but that just crushed the oil filter tho I had swing room if it would have moved. I had to drive a screwdriver thru the oil filter and use it like a tommy bar to break it loose.I could then unscrew it by hand.When I put the new filter on I made sure to only hand tighten it and the next time when I put a filter wrench on it I could grab that by hand and get a good enough grip to turn it by hand. I have since found a set of strap wrenches that I will try next time to see if there is enough swing room.

I had to drive a screwdriver thru the oil filter and use it like a tommy bar to break it loose.

Good point ... just don't do what I did...

Drilled a big hole thru mine and used a large screwdriver to break the filter loose.

Later on, when I was dumping the old oil from the drain pan, I found all these metal filings on the bottom and FREAKED! ... thought they came out of my engine..... then I remembered.... filings from drilling! :doh: :rotfl:

I don't have a trike but I tried a couple different ideas and finally found a strap wrench at my local Advance Auto parts. It has a plastic handle about 6 or 8" long with a heavy duty rubber strap. Works pretty good on the wifes car too. Nice thing with it is even if you can't put the wrench 90 deg to the filter you can still get it off. You just have to get the strap setup pretty snug to start with. Only cost a couple bucks and they sell some in a pack that have a couple different sizes. I learned a long time ago to never install an oil filter with a wrench, you'll never get it off.

I don't buy the long filters anymore.

I also just put a car jack under the right side frame

and jack the trike up a little ways and put a cap

filter remover over the end , I can even use a socket

on the cap. remove filter and replace. I also have used

strap type in the past.

good luck

OK, I've an appointment for a dealer oil change in the morning. In the meantime I'm going to go looking for different filter wrenches. One of my STAR buddies suggested riding the front tire up on a 4 x 4 that has one end cut at a sloping angle (geez! I coulda had a V-8!). Never thought of that.

Also JFI I did not put the oil filter on the bike so that little problem was a dealer "extra"!

The reason I'm doing this is that my maintenance agreement expired so now my poor Venture is at the mercy of the grand dufus of bike maintenance. :whistling:

Great having this site/forum for help. Sometimes things are just so simple they just never even cross your mind! :)

I have the filter wrench mentioned in muffinman's post, never had a problem. I jack up the rear end of trike enough to get drain plug started and filter. Than lower bike level and finish removing items by hand.

I get my filter off using one of these

Now thats one i don't have. But will soon as i get up to Lowes.

The key to oil filters is to thourougly clean surfaces with dry rag and coat the filters rubber gasket with oil. then screw on as tight as you can with your hand then tighten 1/8th to 1/4 turn with a wrench.(socket/strap/metal loop...whatever works)

Bought a used truck once that I had to physically hammer and chisel the doublled edge to get the filter off. No way do they have to be that tight.

I NEVER take my bike or car for that matter, to a shop for oil changes. Advance auto will take your used oil.

Now thats one i don't have. But will soon as i get up to Lowes.

The key to oil filters is to thourougly clean surfaces with dry rag and coat the filters rubber gasket with oil. then screw on as tight as you can with your hand then tighten 1/8th to 1/4 turn with a wrench.(socket/strap/metal loop...whatever works)

Bought a used truck once that I had to physically hammer and chisel the doublled edge to get the filter off. No way do they have to be that tight.

I NEVER take my bike or car for that matter, to a shop for oil changes. Advance auto will take your used oil.

:goodpost:Probably the biggest thing there is clean the seating surface and the clean oil on the gasket. If the old filter comes off real tough be sure to check that all the gasket came off. The only thing I would say a bit different is I never use a wrench to install. Snug the new filter just enough to seat it and then 1/8 to 1/4 turn by hand.

Years back I was an asst manager at a Valvoline Instant Oil Change. My buddy Pete )manager) and I worked the day time ourselves and had auto shop students for the afternoon / evening volume. Some days might do 50 bottoms a day (BE NICE!!!:rotf:) Bottom being drain oil, change filter, check differentials, etc. On our repeat customers filters usually came off by hand using a rubber glove for grip.

Wow, I never knew there were so many different oil filter wrenches. I also like that filter from Dennis Kirk with the nut built on the end. Does that filter get a majority of "likes" from the forum members? It sure seems to simplify the process for sure!

Hey guys I dont have a trike but they sell this wrench for the wing or any other 2 1/2" oil filter it works great on the 12 wing and its thin so clearance is not an issue you may want to try one on the RSV

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/Navision/4-201?catalogNo=

Jeff

Now that is the best money I ever spent,,, I LOVE IT.. only took like 2 days to get here

I just went out checked it with my filter and drian bolt and all is perfect , I don't even have the raise the trike up.. and with that kind of wrench it is even easier than the strap type I have, ABOSLUTLEY LOVE IT>. Thanks for the tip:thumbsup2:

And it is made by show chrome :D

Jeff

EDIT:: Besides the 12 I spend here as well :whistling:

A local dealer did the oil change and I found that K&N oil filters also have that nut on the end, so I bought one for my next oil change. I wanted to make sure I had a good clean oil change because I have a couple of rides including a fairly long one to Kennesaw, GA next Friday. Thanks for all the input from everyone, I will be looking for some of the products suggested for future use. :thumbsup2: