IGNORED

Before I alter my rear wheel...

Miles

Reading anything Miles posts reminds me of going to the high end car shows at Pigeon Forge. I think, #1. "Wow that's beautiful what someone did to that pile of rusty metal or perfectly good piece of transportation!" #2. "I wish I had the time, money, brains, patience and space to do that." and #3. Even though #2 might never happen, I sure like watching the show!

Kudos to Miles for thinking outside the box. Might not apply to a low budget just get me from point A to B mentality like mine, but a little spice is nice!:080402gudl_prv:

• 1 month later...

My speedo and GPS just don't agree with the factory setup, my GPS shows that I run 65 ( also the radar trailers near construction zones agree with the GPS) and my speedo tells me I am running 71 mph. I just use the speed in the GPS on my phone, it also shows the posted speed and screams red if you go over, that is handy on those roads that run through the lil country towns on trips.

Back to point, the change may actually put you closer to the actual speed depending on circumfrance. This isn't rocket science and many tire calculators out there, or you can just do the math because the formula's are there too.

I like what you are thinking, please post pictures and updates let us know how it goes. . .

Just thought I would let you know that a first gen uses a 140/90 16 bias ply tire. Not sure about the whole thing, but it is possible that the drive hub for a first gen will fit a second gen. I know we play with V-Max rear ends on both bikes.

JB

Thats a good thought. The only problem I envision is the OE First gen Venture rim width is going to be a tad narrow for a 170 wide radial. A rim that's too narrow, pulls in the sidewalls and results in less contact patch. a radial generally runs on a wider recommended rim width than a bias ply tire of the same size. I think your right, it should bolt up.

Miles,

I probably posted this in another thread you had about rear rims and radials, but the Stratoliner 18" front wheel is a drop in replacement on the RSTD. No mods required. Comes with floating rotors, which would complete an R1 brake caliper upgrade ( I haven't done this yet). And it looks really good too. I have some pics in albums in my profile. Credit goes to remmbertb, who figured out that it works.

I ran it for a while with the radial that came on it in combination with a bias rear. I recently bought matching Avon Venom X bias front and rear and have to say I like the way it felt with the radial tire up front better.

Does the AVon Cobra 16" radial have a suitable load rating?

Did I understand you that the wheel company provides the 16" rim blank? you can specify the width?

Staying tuned

RSTDdog

My speedo and GPS just don't agree with the factory setup, my GPS shows that I run 65 ( also the radar trailers near construction zones agree with the GPS) and my speedo tells me I am running 71 mph. I just use the speed in the GPS on my phone, it also shows the posted speed and screams red if you go over, that is handy on those roads that run through the lil country towns on trips.

Back to point, the change may actually put you closer to the actual speed depending on circumfrance. This isn't rocket science and many tire calculators out there, or you can just do the math because the formula's are there too.

I like what you are thinking, please post pictures and updates let us know how it goes. . .

Thats a "normal" speed differance (7%) from what I have seen here and on my bike also. You can buy a speed healer for around 150.00 to correct it. I usually keep mine between 75 - 80 which keeps me in the "safe" range on the highway

When I bought my 01 venture the po had a 170 wide tire on the back and it rubbed on the driveshaft housing. It was a dunlop white wall, when I took it off the tire was very worn on the side like all the letters were gone and that side was very thin. Just thought I throw this out there.

Richie R

Edited by Richie R

Big Cat...I am way too old and too wise to install a car tire onto my motorcycles. Most of the people that have gone to the Darkside, have either come back...to the light...or have at least admitted that there are serious concerns with the soft/flexible sidewalls of a car tire on a motorcycle that puts a large amount of load on the sidewall of tires when cornering. I am all about experimentation...but far too smart to do something like that.

I'm not sure who these "people" are and can only comment on my Darkside experience... I'm on my 3rd Kumho and have about 50,000 miles so far on car tires and have no "concerns" that you mention especially considering the 1200 lb load rating... I prefer the handling of the CT over a MT (70,000 miles on RSV with a MT).... I won't run another MT unless they stop making Kumho or I'm stuck on the road... But what do I know???

"I'm not a smart man" ~ Forest Gump

• 2 weeks later...

MAINEAC, since I was born in the great state of Maine (Limestone, ME.), then I have no cause to argue with a fellow maniac (sp). Please, tell me more about the specifics of the Kumho tire you are using. I would like to know the exact size and model number, if you can supply me with that.

Thank you,

Miles

MMR - I found a link with the specs and a picture at Vulcan Tire... But they are showing none available.... http://www.vulcantire.com/tire_detail/powerstar758_t.htm_3762?refad=Froogle3762

Kumhos seemed to have dried up for a while but started showing up again... I found some at Discount Tire when I was in FL.... here's the link....

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?fcpr=&c=2&ar=80&fcsr=&rf=true&fcs=false&rd=15&ct=null&rc=FLOINT&cs=165&ra=searchTiresBySize.do&tc=KUMPA1&pc=33387&fclr=&cf=false&fcb=&sw=false

Good Luck...

Isn't the Michelin Commander 2 a radial?

No, the michelin Commander 2, that fits the rear of any modern Venture/Royal Star is a Bias Belted tire...not a radial. The only Radial tire that Michelin makes in the Commander 2 series for the rear...is a very wide tire that is also a 17".

Sorry to have to tell you that, but the Michelin Commander 2 that is 150/90B-15...is a bias belt tire.

So how goes the wheel mods?

Is it started as planned? ETA for arrival?

Jeff, still not happening until this Winter. I still have some rides to do, and my plan is to have the rear wheel sent off for mods while I am riding the Super Tenere' down to Bolivia in January.

As it progresses, I will keep you informed.:detective:

No, the michelin Commander 2, that fits the rear of any modern Venture/Royal Star is a Bias Belted tire...not a radial. The only Radial tire that Michelin makes in the Commander 2 series for the rear...is a very wide tire that is also a 17".

Sorry to have to tell you that, but the Michelin Commander 2 that is 150/90B-15...is a bias belt tire.

Sorry, my mistake, should have checked, just put Michelin and radial together.

• 5 months later...
Been here infrequently lately. Anymore progress on the rear rim mod?

No progress, as I have changed my mind as to what to do with this '06 RSMTD.

I have other plans now.

Thanks for following up on this though,

:backinmyday: