IGNORED

Garmin 765T

I just bought/received a Garmin 765T off Fleabay. I'd like to hear from other 765T owners about their mounting setups and hookup to the RSV audio system. What settings work the best? I am aware of the cable Buddy Rich has for sale and am leaning that way, are there alternatives ?

I loaded 1200 songs to an 8GB SD card for the MP3. I hope it sounds better through the bikes audio system than it does through some earbuds. Couldn't find any equalizer or tone controls in the unit :think:

I just turned on the FM transmitter on the 765t and listen to it on the bike speakers or on the wireless helmet speakers. But I do agree theres times its not quite loud enough, but it works great for me 98% of the time. There is a place to set volume levels for your directions and for your music but I didnt see any tone levels or equalizer.

I dont use it for phone calls as my Scala helmet speakers do the Bluetooth hookup to my blackberry.

i use a 760 garmin and love it .i use the fm transmitter but i have heard the it has better sound [louder] plugging it into the auxiliary port in the tape player i have mine mounted on the right mirror stork .i used a bit of 3mm 1/8th aluminium plate . to top up the brake fluid i just loosen the mirror nut and spin it out of the way.:backinmyday:

i use a 760 garmin and love it .i use the fm transmitter but i have heard the it has better sound [louder] plugging it into the auxiliary port in the tape player i have mine mounted on the right mirror stork .i used a bit of 3mm 1/8th aluminium plate . to top up the brake fluid i just loosen the mirror nut and spin it out of the way.:backinmyday:

without using a full cradle for the unit have you ever had the ball pop out of the socket, the unit come off the cradle ? and does it move when you hit bumps? My other garmin was mounted on the bike with the suction mount to the windshield and moves every time I hit a bump, causing me to have to readjust it constantly.

I will be using the bluetooth feature for my phone.

does not move and i use it for my phone as well my i phone has voice control so the garmin picks up on it so i can just tell the garmin who i want to ring and it makes the call .on my last bike i had a 1"bar mount i got of ebay it never moved either like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-Mount-Hardwire-Power-GARMIN-NUVI-GPS-/350221817630?pt=GPS_Holders_Mounts&hash=item518ad8d71e#ht_1411wt_1163 just the mount not the power supply but on this bike i used something like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IG-PSTARA-Sticky-Mount-Garmin-Nuvi-255-680-275T-1250-1350-2300-30-40-50LM-/230700162889?pt=GPS_Holders_Mounts&hash=item35b6cd1f49#ht_500wt_923 with a couple of small stainless bolts into the aluminium plate as there was no ware to fit it to the bars. to hardwire it to the aux you just need one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Retractable-Aux-Cable-Stereo-Audio-Extension-3-5mm-Input-Cord-Male-Male-/320858477571?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item4ab4a7d403 if you need more picks i can put more up tomorrow.

Edited by k9cottage

Jay, go to gpscity.com, search for a RAM mount there. I think I paid right around $35 for mine. I have a mount for my 1490t, does not move once it's tightened down. You can just plug it into the audio jack on the bike and it will cut off when someone talks to you on the cb. If you go to the Midnight Ride or meet us up in Mackinac, you can see how I have all my shtufff mounted.

Randy

Edited by rickardracing

I have one and for the time I was using it I have no real complaints. I used a Ram Mount System using both the universal spring loaded mount and the Garmin mount for the unit from Ram. I also used a stick on 2 sided tape mount and the factory holder. The Garmin mount I had the same problem as you with it constantly moving on every bump and was a pain. This stopped with the Ram Mount system as you can apply as much pressure to the clamp as needed to hold it in place. I really liked the universal mount for holding the device and it made removal easy when stopping for lunch but when it came to charging it was a true pain. With the Ram Garmin mount it made charging a snap as the Ram mount uses the Garmin mount as part of the mounting device but removal is kind of a pain as it takes a little playing with to remove it. The power plug is not the easiest thing to unplug from the device in this mount. I even went as far as buying a 12 volt adapter to hard wire in with the Garmin 750 plug on the end but never got around to installing it.

If your looking grab this one the price is real good for the Universal one it looks like it is no longer in production either and I don't know about the new model but this one does grip very well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAP-B-166-2-PD3U-RAM-Universal-Windshield-Phone-Mount-/261069919825?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cc8fad651

and this is the Ram Garmin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Nuvi-710-750-755T-760-765T-770-775T-780-785T-Ram-Mount-Cradle-G26-/370630201580?pt=GPS_Holders_Mounts&hash=item564b4810ec

With the sound I ran a patch cord to the aux input and played the MP3's in that manner. One thing I would recommend is get an application for you home computer and "Normalize" all the songs to 98%. This keeps the music on pretty much the same level and they are a lot louder playing through the sound system.

I have since switched to a Bluetooth headset adapter which I plug into the aux port and play the MP3's from my phone through it. I am using the mounts now to hold my cell while playing tunes or using the GPS. No you can't switch songs using the bikes head unit but you can keep the phone on you or in a bag. Another nice feature is IF you and your passenger like the same music the passenger can select the tunes as you go alone.

Here is the bluetooth adapter I am currently using:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251118017354?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any questions feel free to ask.

Don't mount it to your windshield. The fairing and windshield will bounce it off. Get a Ram mount or similar handle bar mount.

Buddy is correct I left that out by mistake get the bar or a clutch / brake mount you won't regret it....

I have a 765T and like it alot. I also loaded up a bunch of music, but I must have missed the step to "normalize" the recodings to the SD card. Some are fine some are really soft. I use the patch cord from the GPS to the Aux input @ the Cassette player. I used the FM before on my other bike and the problem I ran across was every say 45 min to maybe hour and 15 min I had to change the FM stations and then retune the GPS to that station as they would pick up a local station on the one I was using for the reciever station. The patch cord also gives a better quality also I think. I am using a RAM mount and a couple velcro type cable wraps to keep cables from flooping all over. I plug into the aux power on the left side of the faring. I keep a zip-lock (quart size I think) available incase of rain.

What program would be suggested to normalize the MP3 music ? Free is always good if it works.

I want the GPS mounted centered on the cassette door, I'm looking at using these Ram parts to do it.

RAM-hol-GA26U cradle

Ram-B-238U diamond ball mount

Ram-B-201U-C 5.25" long arm

Ram-B-231U Bar clamp

Coming off the left riser part of the handlebar. I think this will give it the best rain protection and not be so obvious whill mounted on the bike.

Here is the one I use and love it. I started out using the "free" version but quickly bought it.

http://www.zortam.com/index.php

With this one you can

fix the file names

rename the files to match the embeded MP3 name

rename the embeded MP3 name to match the file name

remove all the "stuff" like comments, history or anything like that

remove the pictures

add information like year, type of (rock, country....)

it is all layed out like a spread sheet where you can select all or single songs

the Pro verson is well worth the money, and no I don't own or make money from them I just really do like the application.

Plus a ton of other stuff and it is real easy to use.

DO NOT DO ANY EDITING ON THE SD CARD YOU WILL DESTROY IT.

Copy all the files to your hard drive / desktop in a folder then do the editing / normalizing the SD card has a limited number of writes and believe me you will trash the sd card. I lost / trashed a 2 gig card in about 2 minutes while editing around 50 mp3 files.

Edited by PGunn
Important Update

I grabbed MP3Gain seem to do the job.

The Traffic receiver did not work, after spending 1/2 an hour with Garmin tech support they determined that the mounting cradle must be bad and even knowing I bought the 4 yr old unit off fleabay they are sending me a new cradle NO Charge ! 3 thumbs up for Garmin Support. Guess that's why I own 3 of their units :thumbsup2:

I just used whatever microsoft stuff was on the computer. I guess its media player or something like that. Dont know if I'm going to have to use the GPS as my player anymore. While running thru the Atlanta airport to make an 11 minute connection my cell phone became seperated from me. So unwillingly I am upgrading my phone to a Galaxy S 2 and will probably put my mp3 stuff on there. Plus I learned about Pandora and that app rocks. I rode a couple months ago for like 5 hours and never heard the same song twice.

Can to send the pandora to the GPS by bluetooth and play it through the bikes audio ?

Here is the bluetooth adapter I am currently using:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251118017354?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

All you need do is plug the adapter into the AUX input sync it to your device and it will play through. On my Android (Commando) I went into the bluetooth sync for that device and turned off the use this connectiuon with the phone as it does not allow you to answer or use the phone anyways. Also you can't use the head unit on the bike to control the phone or what ever device you are using other than the volume.

RagTop: in answer to your question-No. Well atleast I coulndt make it work with my Samsung Transform. I could get phone to connect and if it rang answer it using the built in mic on GPS. Which by the way not feasable on the bike. But could not get it to play thru GPS. Maybe its only a one way deal or something. I'm sure you have heard Buddy Rich makes cables to fix this so to speak, but last I head he was in search of a new parts supplier for some of the parts as one outfit quit carrying what he needed.

The Gizmo PGunn listed should pretty much solve some of the issues. You could play but no answer. But you would still have to plug in up at Aux in port. So no different than what I'm doing now, Y plug @ aux port and phone and GPS plugged into that. Cables start getting overwhelming about now. Charger for phone so it dont go dead, GPS, 2 aux cables for devices.

The thing I do like about this adapter is the battery is good for 7 hours playing and a week just sitting and it only takes around 45 minutes to fully charge. The phone will run all day playing MP3 files if you leave the screen off and it will do the GPS voice from my phone through the unit also and when I get close to where I need be I then turn the screen on this keeps cabling to the absolute minimum and gives maximum battery playing time.

The lead from the unit to the plug is only around 2" or so and it is small about 1.25 x 1.5 x .125 and I have added a USB port for charging it and my phone.

Here is the setup on my dash the black rectangle thing is the waterproof (resistant) USB port. the white patch is the velcro for the Bluetooth device and the connection port it right above it.

As you can see there was a few design changes during the gauge add project....

I hate cables hanging off me and the bike, that's why I've got things set up the way that they are. The GPS is wired directly to the bike thru the mount, my scalar headset is wireless and I get about 10 hours or more of music time using the FM transmitter,, and my BB I is connected to the scalar with bluetooth- I can make calls and rake calls this way. It may seem a bit confusing at first, but I don't get strangled getting off the bike. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Im trying to think of what its doing. You plug in power cord and it boots up then you turn off? If you boot it and turn off by putting switch over to right it should stay off I think. If its "off" and you start bike it may be restarting because the starter temp cuts the power off and back on.

Im trying to think of what its doing. You plug in power cord and it boots up then you turn off? If you boot it and turn off by putting switch over to right it should stay off I think. If its "off" and you start bike it may be restarting because the starter temp cuts the power off and back on.

No, I don't turn the unit off, I turn off the safe mode that prevents you from doing most inputs while moving. If you go to settings>security, the right button option is for safe mode, you have 2 choices, on or off, I select off then ok ( must be done before moving)and return to the main map screen then if I try to input a via point or new destination it says safe mode enabled, and won't let me do what I want while moving.