IGNORED

Deer Hit Rider Injured

Phoneman1981

I was just reading the headlines on our local radio stations website. Article indicated a local 62 year old rider was severely injured last Saturday morning around 11:00 A.M. A deer ran out of a cornfield and was struck by the 1989 motorcycle. The rider was wearing a helmet, but still sustained injuries to his face and legs. No other information available. I had a close call last week with the Murano. While traveling home from Wyoming in the dark, two deer jumped out on the highway in front of us. I almost took the bike instead of the car, glad I did not. It can happen at anytime of day or night.

My wife and I had a bear cross our path going throught The Ocala Forest one afternoon. It was then we decided there was no need for the intercom system on the bike. I was able to clearly hear every thing she said.

The ONLY thing that you can predict about deer is that they are unpredictable. Expect to see them 24/7. Expect them to do the unexpected.

Well there is one other thing you can predict, how tasty they are on a charcoal grill.........

My wife and I had a bear cross our path going throught The Ocala Forest one afternoon. It was then we decided there was no need for the intercom system on the bike. I was able to clearly hear every thing she said.

i used to ride my mountain bike through there, and had a bear encounter. CCW with me always in the woods.

Just a quick note, right now we see a lot of deer activity etc. We have the corn fields and unmowed road ditches making it doubly hard to see deer. But when you do see deer watch out, most often it is a doe and she will almost always have 1 or 2 fawns lagging behind. Either that, or she has crossed the road already and the fawns have not yet come across. I had to stop for some fawns the other day at 10:00 A.M. Kind of dangerous, but pretty cool to see.

• 4 weeks later...

When I first saw the news article on July 30th, I did not recognize the name of the rider. (Yesterday almost a month later I saw a benefit ride flyer at a local convienence store. I then realized that I did infact know the injured rider. Very fine local Plumber, nice guy! Word is he is still in the hospital, Serious but stable condition. Hoping to attend the benefit ride on Sept. 8th.

When I first saw the news article on July 30th, I did not recognize the name of the rider. (Yesterday almost a month later I saw a benefit ride flyer at a local convienence store. I then realized that I did infact know the injured rider. Very fine local Plumber, nice guy! Word is he is still in the hospital, Serious but stable condition. Hoping to attend the benefit ride on Sept. 8th.

Too bad the ride is Sept. 8th or I would ride out and go on it but it is our annual shutdown at work and can't be gone.Sorry to hear about the deer incedent.On my ride to work everyday I leave home at 5:00 A.M. and it is still pretty dark out and as someone else mentioned the unmowed ditches, tall corn and the darkness make it a bit scarry at times when one or a few deer run out or are just standing by the road cause you don't know what they will do.Part of the reason when I go to work I got the stereo on a good rock station and crank the volume up to at least 22.

• 8 months later...

I've had two contacts with deer, the 1st one took out my 1984 Honda aspencade, the second just 2 years ago rolling up the florida turnpike, I had a small doe, try to run across the road, slammed right into the side of my trailer.