IGNORED

Ride to Canada

ashley9187

My wife and I are planning a month long tour in September thru October. We plan on riding into Ottawa Canada to visit my wife long lost relatives. I will be riding my 08 RSV and trailer and a sidecar. Could there be a problem with us crossing into Canada? What documents do I need to take? What about inspections of my bike sidecar and trailer?

Rick A.

:080402gudl_prv:

My wife and I are planning a month long tour in September thru October. We plan on riding into Ottawa Canada to visit my wife long lost relatives. I will be riding my 08 RSV and trailer and a sidecar. Could there be a problem with us crossing into Canada? What documents do I need to take? What about inspections of my bike sidecar and trailer?

Rick A.

Passports are a must.October ? Maybe snow tires.

You need proof of citizenship. Passports are best and necessary to get back into the States now, since 9/11. No inspections are required on your bike or other equipment. Remember no weapons allowed. Bring a hand gun and you'll get free accommodations. October can be a little cool in the Ottawa area but doable. I'd bump the trip up a few weeks if possible. September should be good. There's lots to see and do in that area.

Proof of ownership and insurance is all that is required for your bike but only if you get pulled over for a traffic infraction.

Rick

You picked a cooler time to come north but if the weather holds the colors from the changing of the seasons on the trees will make it worth while. Based on my recent trips accross the border (north to south and not US to Canada) the only documentation at the border crossing is a passport. Of course you always want to have your registration and insurance papers but to me that is the norm. Just to be on the safe side contact your government agencies to see if there are any other requirements (normally a toll free number) Enjoy the ride and the scenery also don't forget to know your conversion tables from Miles per hour to Kilometer per hour trust me this is based on experience.

Gibster

Talked to wife, it looks like mid Sept. this is the first leg of the trip. We also will be riding to South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Arizona, Calif., Oregon, Washington. We have no real time limit. If it takes a month or two months, we are looking at one long ride.

Rick A.

You can get a enhanced drivers licenses and use it instead of passports. Found them quite nice when coming back into the USA, just hand them the license, they swipe it, ask you if you have anything to declare and your on your way.

I was expecting it to be more difficult than that. You know, pulling everything out of the trailer, emptying saddle bags, tank bags etc., hands against the wall type of inspection, checking for your draft card, you know things like that .

Rick A.

NOpe , it aint difficult at all, but I have heard that it is somrtimes more difficult getting back into the US as your border staff are looking for contraband, but very seldom have I heard of any searches.

it is possible to bring a hunting rifle up here if youre going hunting, but ive heard the paper work is needed In this area we have thousands of US hunters coming up every fall for birds, bears and deer, and they all bring up their own equipment, so I know its done regularly.

But to be honest, leave the gun at home if you want to just flow through customs.

Brian

If you have any issues with courts, best to check out ahead of time to see if youre going to have an issue at the border.

Yes, more of a problem getting back into the states than into Canada. Border guards are usually on some power trip and look to provoke you with their attitude. It's a ploy to weed out the troublemakers by having them be beligerant. Just keep cool and answer whatever question they ask but avoid social chit chat and you're in!It's pretty much citizenship, where ya been, where ya goin, and anything to declare. Do not bring food across the border such as fruits, vegetables, or meat. Also, as Gary N.stated, absolutely no firearms unless you want to recdeive free accomodations for a long period of time...

I was expecting it to be more difficult than that. You know, pulling everything out of the trailer, emptying saddle bags, tank bags etc., hands against the wall type of inspection, checking for your draft card, you know things like that .

Rick A.

You get all the added services when re-entering the US!!

If you swing down to Salt Lake, give us a shout!

Dave

OK, I think I got it, leave gun with relatives in Wisconsin, trailer has plates and up to date registration, bike is in the process of being up-graded for trip, passports are good, check attitude, leave snow tire in TEXAS :whistling: leave jerkey at home (DAMN!).

OK, did I miss anything????:confused24:

Rick A.

Rick, maybe we will cross paths out on the road. I am heading out 9/15 for an Iron Butt Border to Border from Laredo to Canada. Having wife fly up to Sioux Falls, SD when I finish and spend about 4 days up in the Badlands, Mt Rushmore area. Before heading back to Denver and then to Four Corners, White sands, NM and then home.

Envy you being able to take a couple of months for some riding around the country. We can't wait. Have a safe ride and enjoy.

leave jerkey at home (DAMN!).

OK, did I miss anything????:confused24:

Rick A.

I don't think Jerkey is a problem...more just fruits and vegies

To be sure everyone understands...getting back into the US is harder because of US customs...you don't even stop at Canadian border guards on the way back into US.

Be sure to give us a shout when you come up. I'm only 1 1/2-2 hours from Ottawa.

Rick A.

Well there is always the possibility (though slim) you'll get pulled aside and "inspected" in either direction. All depends on the mood of the border officer and whether he/she thinks you look like a smugler.:backinmyday: :stirthepot:

Actually, Ive had to throw Jerky away on the way into the US because of the overblown Mad Cow Scare.

So I think it might work the other way coming into Canada too, I would take what you want, if its an issue they just make you throw it away. But we sell lots of jerky up here, and its probably a brand you see down there anyway...

Actually, I usually make my own jerkey. I control the contents and quality. But you know, I was amazed at how little jerkey you get when you dehydrate a 10# roast (after slicing to about 1/8 in thick). I have one of those Ronco Dehydrating things with the stackable trays. I then vacuum seal. I like mine a little more on the brittle side, not chewey.

Thanks for the info.

Rick A.

My Sister and her husband have "enhanced" drivers licenses. They explained those licenses are available only for drivers in states that border Canada? Others like us have to go the passport route. We discovered "Passport Books" cost less, $56 if I remember correctly, full passports cost $135. I was told that as long as I do not intend to "Fly" out of the U.S. the Passport book would work just fine. I hope this is accurate and helpful.:)