IGNORED

This Time We...

Aussie Annie

..... were thinking of buying an Aluma trailer to use while in USA-- then bring it home??? Will depend on cost to ship home.

Would purchase and pick up in Portland, OR

Can anyone tell us the licensing laws in Oregon?? And will we need an OR address to license it??

I do believe you will have to have an address to tag the trailer as well as proof of residence in any state research your options for shipping back home and figure out if you want to sell it or ship if you sell it you could sell to some one who could tag it for you while your here in the states and when done you can deliver to them a slightly used trailer:whistling: :confused24: just a thought:080402gudl_prv:

Could you not just call Alumina trailers and ask them to ship it directly to you and by doing this could the trailer then be titled using your true home address there is Austrailia?:confused24:

Every state treats trailers differently. Some states require plates and others consider it plated by the towing vehicle depending on weight.

Some states allow out of states to register vehicles in their state and others do not. Usually those that do not sell a "Drive way tag" thats good for 30-90 days.

If you know what trailer you want I would investigate making the purchase ahead of time, take the paperwork to your DMV and bring your home plates with you and you are all done. When you are home you are good to go off the boat.

Here in Wisconsin trailers under 3,000 lbs GVW do not need to get tags. You can get them if you want to, IIRC its $12 / year.

I have heard of people with no trailer tags getting hassled in states that do require tags. Not common but if the LEO is having a bad day......

My trailer is not plated and I have pulled it thru states requiring tags with no issues.

I would think the first thing to do is to find out if you really want to ship it home.

Annie,

This is what i found from the Oregon DMV. So basicly all you need is the title for ownership. You will want to have that while traveling so that hopefully the police wont give you issues if you were to get pulled over.

OREGON DMV:

Light Trailer Definition

A light trailer is any trailer having a loaded weight of 8,000 pounds or less, except trailers for hire (for rent), recreational trailers, special use trailers and fixed loads. Light trailers may include boat trailers or horse trailers. For information on how to register a for-rent trailer, contact DMV.

Note: You do not have to register a light trailer (which includes a utility, boat, or horse trailer) or obtain a trip permit to operate it on the road if the trailer, plus the heaviest load carried, weighs 1,800 pounds or less. However, you may wish to obtain a title for your trailer because most law enforcement agencies and insurance companies want to see proof of ownership if it is ever stolen. All trailers used on the road must be equipped to meet safety standards; see ODOT's Vehicle Equipment and Safety