IGNORED

Trailer security question.

BigLenny

I'm seriously thinking about buying a trailer to use on our 4000 mile trip we have planned for September. I have a question that keeps coming to my mind that is keeping me from going ahead and pulling the trigger to buy one.

Q. How the heck do you keep the thing secure if you leave it at the hotel while you do a day ride? Surely some of you have some jazzy ways to secure it so it will still be there when you get back to the hotel. I'd be on fire if I spent good money for a trailer and it got stolen while I was on my trip.

Please advise.

I have two cable locks. I use one for the bike and one for the trailer, if/when I unhook it from the bike. When attached to the bike, I have a locking pin for the hitch and the hitch handle so it cannot go anywhere without the bike.

When not attached to the bike I lock the trailer to any post or rail, or piilar I can find.

Ex

I dont have a trailer now, but at the time I just put a pd lock thru the coupler. Now a days though I would probably make a cable and locker down to something less mobile like a post or maybe the parking bumper thing. You can go to home depot or lowes and buy a cable of the size you would like and also get a couple of swedges and make a loop in the ends and wa-la you have a cable to lock stuff up with. I mad a smaller gauge one for my other bike to lock the helmets up and use the disc brake lock .

something like this http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/3a/3a9b9e9d-0000-4fca-852a-8670853d6f9e_300.jpg or could use one fo the cables for a dog tie out.

I lock up my bike trailer with one of these Masterlock hitch locks. If I am at a hotel type setup I also chain the wheel to the trailer so it cant be easily rolled. Most people wont make a scene at a hotel if you make it inconvenient for them to take it easily.

Me thinks that this should be a question directed to Condor.

I'm sure that with all his trailers, he has figured out a way to keep them from wandering off.....:rotfl:

:mytruck1:

Heck he loses one and replaces it with two just in case.:rotf::stirthepot:

I just went to HOME DEPOT and baought a lenght of heavy chain and a good master lock, run the chain thru the spokes on one of the wheels and the around the tongue of the trailer and secure it with the master lock. I can also use the chain to secure the trailer to a post or tre if I like. I hve been hauling a trailer for aboy 10 years and never had anyone mess with mine. Locks only keep honest people honest, if some dishonest person wants your trailer or what is in it they find a way to get it.

On another note, if you are going to ger a trailer , check out my ad for an auxillary harness, it will make the hook up to the trailer harness a lot easier.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will quit fretting over it and go ahead and bite the bullet. Like several of you said, if someone really wants it, they'll find a way.

I'm pretty sure I'll try to always lock it to a fixed object, since as light weight as they are, a couple people could just pick it up and put it in the back of a truck, huh?

Good to hear none of you have experienced one getting stolen. Makes me think it doesn't happen enough for me to worry about too much.

I just ask the front office counter person if It is OK if I left my trailer locked to a column right in front of thier door while I go out riding.

I use two vinyl coated cables and place one around the column and the other I place thru both rear tires, then connect them together with a heavy duty pad lock.

The trailer is in vierw of thier cameras, and rigth out side the front door. I have been lucky so far in that no body has taken it, but as already stated above.... a lock only keeps an honest man honest... If a thief wants the trailer her will get it...and insurance is the next best thing provided you took cationary care to avoid it from being stolen..