IGNORED

wide rim for 1st gen

do they make a wider rim that will fit the 1st gens i will be getting a 1st gen hopefuly by next week and was wondering? i like wider tires on the rear just a comfort thing gives me peace of mind knowing i have more ruber on the ground :confused24: just thought i would ask

Paul,

I notice you have a '99 RSTD, so I'm assuming your calling that bike a 1st gen. Regardless if thats the bike your talking about, or the 1st gen Venture, your not going to find or be able to build a wider rim that will work. It's VERY tight along the swing arm with a stock tire on, little own a wider setup. It will rub the shaft tube, I have seen only 1 RSV that had a slightly wider tire fit on the rear and not rub the driveshaft, and I believe that was a fluke.

Paul,

I notice you have a '99 RSTD, so I'm assuming your calling that bike a 1st gen. Regardless if thats the bike your talking about, or the 1st gen Venture, your not going to find or be able to build a wider rim that will work. It's VERY tight along the swing arm with a stock tire on, little own a wider setup. It will rub the shaft tube, I have seen only 1 RSV that had a slightly wider tire fit on the rear and not rub the driveshaft, and I believe that was a fluke.

Squidley the 99 RSTD is my first bike and ist currently down with carb issues the guy my wife bought it from as my anniversary gift said it would be running by our anniversary that was last oct. im about to buy 1roosters 84 venture this week so i can do some real riding and want to know everything i can learn about the bike that i can so if i cant do wider then stock is what the tire will be im looking at the commander II and venom i just hope they make tires for it ive heard good things about them

Rats there goes my 1st Gen...:whistling:

been looking for a real bike now i am getting one:cool10: and you still havent told me what size tow rope i need too pull a 2nd gen :stickpoke: :confused24:and aint you got enough 1st gens in that garage:whistling: the one with the ugly weather vain on the roof :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::crackup::crackup::crackup:

been looking for a real bike now i am getting one:cool10: and you still havent told me what size tow rope i need too pull a 2nd gen :stickpoke: :confused24:and aint you got enough 1st gens in that garage:whistling: the one with the ugly weather vain on the roof :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::crackup::crackup::crackup:

ENOUGH??? I only got 7... There is still room!! And I could add on to the garage!!

do they make a wider rim that will fit the 1st gens i will be getting a 1st gen hopefuly by next week and was wondering? i like wider tires on the rear just a comfort thing gives me peace of mind knowing i have more ruber on the ground :confused24: just thought i would ask

I have seen a write up on a Vmax that moves the wheel slightly with a spacer to mount a larger tire. But, I don't remember where I saw the write up!

:confused07:

If I could have got my truck back from my son for a few days it may not have been there. I wouldn't ask Rooster to hold it at that price. It should make you a nice bike.

I have seen a write up on a Vmax that moves the wheel slightly with a spacer to mount a larger tire. But, I don't remember where I saw the write up!

:confused07:

I have a VMax rear rim on mine. It is a fairly involved modification to get to fit up. Much more than a spacer.

Pictures attached showing right & left side clearances. Tire size of 150/90-15

It took using a VMax caliper and modified caliper arm. Caliper is now under slung so as not to hit saddle bag. Rotor is front one from an MKII.

I could probably get a 160 or maybe a 170 in there.

Gary

a wider tire and wheel for comfort? Jeeezzz...buy a quality tire. Avon or Metz'r for starters. I hear Michelin has a new one> Commander-II. If you have not guessed...don't try to reinvent the wheel. Wider tires slow steering response. Victory knows this...on their Vision and Cross Country tourers the tires are slimmer than their Hammer cruiser. Guess you only want to go hi-way straight?:rotf:enjoy

Wider tires slow steering response. Victory knows this...on their Vision and Cross Country tourers the tires are slimmer than their Hammer cruiser. Guess you only want to go hi-way straight?:rotf:enjoy

If that's true, then why are sportbike tires trending towards wider and wider tires?

It's certainly not because sportbike manufacturers expect them to only go "hi-way straight".

Some are, but design plays a part of it. The wide rear of a busa is a non issue with its design build. Put that on a Ven, and your asking for trouble. Might as well do a ct.

Though... now that I think of it the M109 Suzi was... little tough.

Edited by JohnMidnight

I have a VMax rear rim on mine. Tire size of 150/90-15

Gary

I am having trouble understanding how changing the rim size from 16" to 15" allowed you to fit a wider tire.

I understand that the vmax rim is probably physically wider than the venture rim, but it seems like the smaller diameter would simply move the tire back a half inch or so, closer to where the shaft cutout ends.

Shouldn't the same width tire fit on the venture as it sits with the stock rim?

A wider tyre won't actually put much more rubber on the ground.

The correct tyre is probably the best.

A wider tyre generally requires a wider rim to work best. They are usually softer compounds, and designed for a performance envelope our bikes cannot reach.

I have ridden my VR (as have others), with standard tyres in monsoon type rain, and 110F heat.

I have never had tyre issues.

I found a wide tire conversion kit, available for the Vmax, on ebay. The link is attached. The information from the post indicates that it will fit a 1985 to a 2007.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vmax-V-max-Wide-Rear-Tire-Conversion-1985-2007-210mm-wide-/160854525479?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AV-Max&hash=item2573ad4627&vxp=mtr

do they make a wider rim that will fit the 1st gens?

As far as I know, no company makes one, but Kosman offers a wheel widening service, they can widen wheels to fit pretty much ANY width of tire, if i recall correctly.

as you might imagine, it aint exactly cheap.

Now as to the question of FITTING a wider wheel and tire combo in an UNMODIFIED swingarm....

That is a horse of a different color, as you can see.

But anything is possible with the right amount of desire, fabrication skills, friends and money.

Good luck, and if you do it, post pictures, because if I ever chop my venture the way I keep dreaming I will, then I will definitely want a nice fat rear tire, and I will need plenty of pics for inspiration.

I am having trouble understanding how changing the rim size from 16" to 15" allowed you to fit a wider tire.

I understand that the vmax rim is probably physically wider than the venture rim, but it seems like the smaller diameter would simply move the tire back a half inch or so, closer to where the shaft cutout ends.

Shouldn't the same width tire fit on the venture as it sits with the stock rim?

The offset of the rim is different from the Max to the Venture. Attached is a picture of the bike from straight on from the rear. Also there is a picture of the 85 which is offset a tad, but not nearly what Tweety is. I had to remove the inner fender on Tweety to get rub to go away.Bike also has an FJR rear end, but I don't think it affected offset.

Reason I went to the 15" rim is it gives the bike about another 4% gear ratio bump, coupled with the FJR rear's 8 1/2% bump. These little increases here and there add up. And the rear wheel matches the VMax front rim's style that I have on.

The bike will track straight as can be, no hands, on cruise. It is sort of like Nascar though. It likes a left hand turn much better than it likes a right turn, by turn I mean pushing the bike somewhat in a sweeping turn. Within posted speed limits of course.

The offset to the right then increases the narrow point of the swing arm clearance, which is at the drive shaft tube attachment near the final drive on the left.

When I kill this tire I will probably see what is available in next width up. Vmax guys have run wider on this stock rim, but then that bike has a reputation as being a straight line bike, it don't turn well. Like Twigg said, wider isn't always the answer. Modifying the swing arm to take a wider aftermarket rim may be in bikes future. It could use a little more rear end grip on take-offs.

I wouldn't mind trying a radial if I could find on that would fit. If it works, great, if not there has been more than one idea that has not went as planned on this hobby.

Also attached is a modified swing arm with two u-joints on a VMax from the VMaxforum.net. Lot of things are possible with imagination. This is just an average guy building this one, not some big customizer shop.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Ah, now I understand, it's the offset, not the change in diameter.

See, I was focused on the diameter change because I switched out my 18 inch rim on my Z1-900 for a kz750 ltd 16 inch rim, to basically move the widest part of the tire back further in the swingarm, where it's wider, therefore allowing fitment of a wider tire.

But that doesn't apply to the venture, so my thick head just couldn't get around the reasoning there.

I never noticed the offset until you pointed it out.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Your bike looks great, btw...I especially love the underslung rear caliper, might do something like that myself one day, just cause I like the way it looks.

Your bike looks great, btw...I especially love the underslung rear caliper, might do something like that myself one day, just cause I like the way it looks.

If you don't need the underslung caliper for clearance, it really ain't worth it. Almost impossible to see with saddle bags & muffler in place. And the caliper is a pain to bleed. I have to remove it from the bracket and reposition back on rotor at top so bleeder ports are facing upwards. Plus the Vmax rear caliper sucks. I want to put an R1 caliper on it when I get around to making a custom bracket for it.

Gary

Yeah, good points, but "someday" I have this vision of a venture as a chopper or bobber, (just look at some pics of one stripped down, there is an unmistakable potential there) in which case, there would be no saddlebags or exhaust in the way, and the purely visual aspect would then be of value.

We all know when "someday" comes though...

But if I ever do chop or bob a venture, there are a whole bunch of visual tidbits and performance upgrades I have seen, mostly here and some from elsewhere, that I keep in the back of my head (underslung caliper is one) and that I will shamelessly copy...

Because if you are going to steal, why not steal from the best, right?...;)

If that's true, then why are sportbike tires trending towards wider and wider tires?

It's certainly not because sportbike manufacturers expect them to only go "hi-way straight".

Appearance is everything these days. No one gives a crap bout functionality. Gotta look good ya know. My 2 cents.

great info but i have no garage to do this work in yet i now have the 84 venture its still on the trailer it will come off today for a test spin around the block dry rot tires will not alow me to go much further then that. i will be doing something to it once i have a garage to put it in and do the work on it also money is a playing factor

Appearance is everything these days. No one gives a crap bout functionality. Gotta look good ya know. My 2 cents.

I agree, a lot of what is done in the motorcycling industry is more about appearance than functionality or performance, for example, just look at pretty much any harley davidson.

But AMA superbike racing is different, those guys would ride a bike that literally looked like a big stinking wet dog turd around the track, if it would win races

It is ALL about function in that world and they ALL have a big wide (within reason, there are no 280 or 300 series or anything ridiculous) tire on back, so I can't see why they would be putting a tire on their bike that made it handle WORSE.

If a narrow tire cornered faster or better, they would all have the narrowest tires available...

Therefore, the statement made that wider tires make for harder/slower cornering MUST be at least situationally false, based upon massive empirical evidence to the contrary.

Gary, once in a while, i modify FJR 1300 Rims for fitting the 1Gen Vmax. Those are 3.5x17 front and 5.5x17 rear. Tire Sizes are 120/70R17 and 180/50R17.

Front Rim is easy to mod, but getting a fitting Gear for the Speedo is a big Hassle due to the narrow Fork Leg Distance, but i got it done.

Rear Rim is much more work and both Rims require a Lathe with at 460 mm turning Diameter or a Mill with a c-Axis which can take these Diameters securely.

The fit of the rear Rim on 1Gen Vmax is almost identical to stock, 0 to 2mm Offset to the right. but you have to mill down the stock Caliper Bracket from 30 to 19 mm to get the Hub in the Swing Arm.

I didn't look at the FJR Specs and compare them to the 1Gen VR, but the FJR is faster than a 1Gen Vmax and we get these Rims through TueV-Inspection and penciled into the Bike Papers, which is huge over here.

These Rims are great, opens a whole new World in Tire Selection, more grippy, better wet Grip. The only downside is, the Bike gets lower and the maximum lean Angle is a Problem for some. Vmax-Guys counteract this with longer Shocks.