IGNORED

Service suggestions....?

cb1313

I have a 2005 Venture with 8500 miles and plan on taking it to the dealers for a service. I have changed the oil and brake fluid. The bike runs ok but of course you get used to things and don't notice little problems.

What should I have the dealer look at or service ?

Thank you in advance Cb Mountain Home Arkansas.

:thumbsup2:Just my 2 cents here..

CB1313,

You did not mention why you would be taking it to the dealer other then for service. What kind of service??

What kind of sounds or problems do you think you have with your RSV?

I would gladly help walk you through just about any problem you have by email or by phone if you need assistance.

Keep in mind, the more you learn about your bike the more confidence you will have about it when out riding. If anything did go wrong, by golly you would know how to fix it quickly, and be on your way in stead of sitting there on the side of the road wating for a tow truck or help to arrive..

Please, feel free to post here, send me a P-Email or call me

You can look up my phone in my profile page.

Either way, I would be happy to help answer any questions you may have on your bike.

I owned an 05 for about 6 years and I surely miss it.

Most you can check yourself.

Tires - While the tread may still be good, how old are they. They are at least 7 years old maybe more, if original. There should be a date code stamped into the side of each tire.

Carb sync - It is easy to hook up with a member here to get that done for just the cost of a beverage or some ice cream.

Stearing head bearings - sometimes they just need tightening.

Look close at all rubber parts and seals, the bike spent most of its life just sitting. Sitting is harder on some parts than riding.

Grease splines and pins in rear - they are notorious for not being greased properly from the factory.

Not much else that I can think of, but then I don't ride a 2nd gen either. I'm sure others will chime in.

There really nothing wrong and it runs okay. It is just after 7 years my bike has never been to the shop. I do work on my bike... changed brake fluid, installed Ipod and sat. system, removed the castt. player, lowered the bike, oil changes, changed the exhaust a couple of times, air filters.

Thank you for offering to help.... I was just wondering if after 7 years it should go to the dealer ?

Cb

There really nothing wrong and it runs okay. It is just after 7 years my bike has never been to the shop. I do work on my bike... changed brake fluid, installed Ipod and sat. system, removed the castt. player, lowered the bike, oil changes, changed the exhaust a couple of times, air filters.

Thank you for offering to help.... I was just wondering if after 7 years it should go to the dealer ?

Cb

A big fat NO if what you have said save your money If you can do all of the things listed in your post there is not much on this bike you cant do yourself. That money would be better spent on a roadtrip.:cool10:

Cb,

To be quite honest with you, 8500 miles is zero miles. If you have gone through and changed the fluids (Brake, Clutch) on a regular basis, and kept your fuel in good condition when it wasn't being ridden, the bike really shouldn't need anything....except a LOT more riding :stickpoke:

I have to agree with Squidley since you changed fluids and took basic care of it.

I however do have one item of concern after reading this thread.

You said you have an 05 and it only has 8K plus miles on it..

If your bike has its stock tires on it and it being 7 yrs old already, then you ma be interested in some good advice I found a while back from another link. I copied it and pasted the interesting information about tires below. Enjoy..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=30

Tires are subjected to one of the harshest environments experienced by any consumer product. In addition to being stretched millions of times as they roll through their life, tires are exposed to acid rain, brake dust, harsh chemicals and direct sunlight, as well as summer's heat and winter's cold. And while a tire's rubber compounds have anti-aging chemicals in their recipes, exposure to the elements will eventually cause rubber to lose some of its elasticity and allow surface cracks to appear.

The surface cracks that occasionally appear have been called many things; Weather Checking, Weather Cracking or Ozone Cracking. These small cracks typically develop in the sidewalls or at the base of the tread grooves. Depending on their severity, they may be cosmetic in nature if they don't extend past the rubber's outer surface, or may be a reason to replace the tire if they reach deep into the rubber.

Because all tires are made of rubber, all tires will eventually exhibit some type of cracking condition, usually late in their life. However, this cracking can be accelerated by too much exposure to heat, vehicle exhaust, ozone and sunlight, as well as electric generators and motors (that have armature brushes). For example, a vehicle parked outside instead of in a garage will constantly expose its tires to the rays of the sun, increasing the likelihood of cracking. Additionally, some sidewall cracking has been linked to abrasion from parking against a curb, or the excessive use of tire cleaners/dressings that inadvertently remove some of the tire's anti-oxidants and anti-ozone protection during every cleaning procedure. Interestingly enough, when sun exposure or excessive cleaning is the cause of the small cracks, the sidewall of the tire facing outward will show damage, while the sidewall facing inward is rarely affected.

The anti-aging chemicals used in the rubber compounds are more effective when the tire is "exercised" on a frequent basis. The repeated stretching of the rubber compound actually helps resist cracks forming. The tires used on vehicles that are driven infrequently, or accumulate low annual mileage are more likely to experience cracking because long periods of parking or storage interrupt "working" the rubber. In addition to being an annoyance to show car owners, this condition often frustrates motor home and recreational vehicle owners who only take occasional trips and cannot even park their vehicle in a garage or shaded area. Using tire covers at least minimizes direct exposure to sunlight.

Tire manufacturers' warranties typically cover cracking for a period of 4 years from the date the tire was purchased (receipt for the new tires or in-service date of the vehicle required) or four years from the date the tire was manufactured.

There are a few conditions that would possibly void the manufacture's coverage. The same types of cracks can also be caused by poor tire maintenance practices. Driving on a tire that was flat, or one that was underinflated or overloaded causes excessive stretching of the rubber compound, and may result in cracks that appear similar to the surface cracks mentioned above. The manufacturers' warranty might not apply if an interior inspection of the tire clearly indicates that the cracks were due to these conditions.

Do yourself a favor and check the tires date code, if they are old change them out, it's far cheaper than getting stuck on the side of the road or having to describe a blowout because you were saving a few green backs. Tons of threads here on tires and and maintenance how to's

The manuals are online and the service schedule is in the owners manual. Make a few friends and attend a maintenance day and it will serve you well.

I purchased my 05 RSTD in 08. When it came time for its first oil change and just before Sturgis I took it to the dealer for a service and inspection. I am really busy and all I want to do is RIDE!!! The service cost me $150 and I was not pleased to discover while riding that my rear brake pads were thin and began squealing while on vacation. Lost one day while the Sturgis Yamaha dealer fixed me up. Thanks to that experience and the information and confidence I have gained from this site, my bike will not be at the dealers very often. Just my two cents.:)