IGNORED

Deer Whistle

chippego

I have the regular Deer whistles on my bike and truck. Maybe it's just coincidence or maybe they do work, but every Deer I've driven near has run in the other direction or just stood still. The other day the deer was running along side of my truck then veered away into the forest.

I installed the Hornet on mine to a lighted rocker switch. The jury is still out, but I do put it on when I see the deer crossing signs or when traveling thru well treed hiways. I'm hoping that the additional noise whistle would complement the engine noise. But being my engine and exhaust system is stock the engine is pretty quite. The Whistle definately has a much higher pitch than the engine noise. The high pitch is definately a distraction while riding, my wife also commented on its irritation noise. So put it on a switch if you are going too, unless your hearing is not so good you could leave it on all the time.

I heard the best thing to do is to just slow down about 10 mph and ready to break.

The Hornet recommends to install at a 45 degree to the pavement. I learned this during the installation process. Before the purchase I thought one could install it straight ahead.

I have the regular Deer whistles on my bike and truck. Maybe it's just coincidence or maybe they do work, but every Deer I've driven near has run in the other direction or just stood still. The other day the deer was running along side of my truck then veered away into the forest.

I dont have the deer whistles and deer do that for me too....:think:

Every report that I have ever read that did actual testing of deer whistles, that was not funded by a deer whistle manufacture, said that they do not work to deter deer from being in front of you on the road. Yes the deer do hear them, but it does not frighten them or cause them to move out of the way or stop them from getting in your way.

So far the best deer "whistle" that I have found is my twin Bad Boys Horns. The deer just stand there looking at me till I hit the horns, at which point every deer I have seen has gone into full scramble for cover mode. There is no cover in the road so they have never YET gone there.

I have watched a car stop for a deer in the road and laying on the wimpy beep beep horn and the deer just stood there in the middle of the road just a few feet away, looking at them. Probably laughing. From behind the car I hit the Bad Boys and that deer took off like rocket. Then I was laughing.

I don't know if it is the pitch, or the volume of the sound that works, but it sure seems to work. If I see deer coming from the side I will hit the horns and they usually run for cover.

If you were going to an electric sound, I would think that a wolf or coyote or other local deer predator sound would get them moving for the woods and thick cover.

Edited by Flyinfool

Deer by a highway are used to the noise and learn to ignore it, kind of like your wife telling you what to do. But stop your car , act out of the ordinary or go scent free into the woods and they will bolt. I had deer whistles on my 89 and I honestly don't think you can get them far enough apart. I have also investigated a lot of deer vehicle crashes where the deer ignored those whistles, like when I ask my wife a question while she's watching lifetime.

My wife and I both have electronic Hornets and they work as described in their Literature.

Anyone thats ever gone hunting knows a loud whistle will, more often than not, stop a deer in its tracks. Deer are inquisitive by nature but everyday noises don't bother them.

As I personally hit a deer on a motorcycle, I can tell you it's not something my wife and I want to repeat...

As for other loud noises (horns etc..), yeah they might work if you see the deer in time, but thats not always the case.

Loud pipes are out for me also as I have partial hearing loss..:whistling:

IMHO deer are just likr big grasshoppers, in that theyre not smart enuff to know which way to jump, their instict just drives them to jump SOMEWHERE. I beleive they cant control which way they jump, so if you see a deer in the road and you cant stop, you should aim directly for it rather than avoid it. You cant predict where its going, and you know its going to move so your best chance to me, is knowing that the odds are that its going to move away from the spot it currently occupies.:confused24:

This is just my feelings on the matter and how I do things, I am not telling anyone to go out and hit deer with their bike.(or car)

Brian

Yep, that's how I totaled my Goldwing, Fine for years, no issues, Buy those damn, deer alerts, and not two weeks later, Wamp !!!!, took a doe down the left side of the bike, In Willington NY (Lake Placid)

She came over the hill, ran into the street and stopped. Dead in front of me.:mo money::mo money::Venture::mo money::mo money:

I'm friends with several GWRRA members and the local chapter swears they work. On the other hand a friend with two on her car had a deer/car collision last year.

So.....my opinion is that they work very well as long as you don't hit a deer! :thumbsup2: