IGNORED

100 Degrees to ride or not to ride

etcswjoe

Do these vest and neck things work with high humidity as well??

The vests that The Marshall and i have work with frozen inserts. See Picts below.

Mine also works as a cooling vest when soaked in water. The material, not beads like those neck coolers, absorbs the water and lasts for several hours.

The frozen cooling packs also re-freeze in ice water. They don't need to be "frozen" Just submerged in ice water.

The head cooler is like the neck coolers but cover your head under the helmet. I haven't tried mine yet...maybe today.. should be interesting....and probably causes a real bad hair day.

What ever you decide, take care in the heat. A man passed away yesterday here in Omaha when he had a minor accident in a construction zone and left his car to walk for help. They said he made it a half a mile before passing out and collapsed on the side of the road. Medics on site said his core tempurature was 110 when they arrived.

I don't suppose his just getting off work on a roofing crew had anything to do with it ya think.

Hydration is critical on days like this.

Mike

I wear light colored clothing, a white helmet, light weight pants (not heavy jeans), and a towel around my neck that I keep soaked for evaporation cooling. I bring 3 or 4 bottles of frozen water with me, make frequent stops and stay out of areas where I may have stop-n-go traffic. Just a few minutes in stopped traffic in the sun at 103 degrees can totally wipe you out. I also make sure I check my tire pressure before heading out, as extreme heat will impact pressure after a short time.

We are heading to the mountains tomorrow (GA, TN and NC) and with some proper prep before the ride, I'm sure we'll all do fine even in this heat.

:225:

Hydrate BEFORE you ride in extreme heat. Drinking water during the ride is not hydration, it's attempting to replace water loss.

Fill your reserves the day before and keep your level up. This will help you easily replace loss, and will provide you with the reserve that you WILL lose.

The rule of thumb proven in 22 years in the CF and 2 tours in Afghanistan is:

If you don't feel like you need to pee, you're not drinking enough.

I will ride this weekend and we are due 100 or close. Make sure if you do drink lots of water or 50/50 blend of water and a sports drink. Also it works really nice to wet down the shirt.

Ya, and if it wasn't for having to wait on gaskets for my blonde and this divorce BS running my bank account so thin, I'd be down there with you guys too. Assuming your going to WI MD anyway.

I don't care at all for these kind of temps, yet alone on the bike. Seems to take some of the fun out of it But if it means hanging out with my buds and making some new ones, I'd gladly go out and chance a sunburn and sweat my nutz off. Hell I think the old lady wants them in the divorce anyway.

The good news though, I think I may be able to make it to LLR III this fall after all. Provided I don't get jerked around by my employer some more. See ya all there!

So I'll be sitting in the A/C thinking of ya!

LOVE,:bighug:

Bill

Just bought a “new to me” 89 Royal last Saturday and decided to take the long way home, about 120 miles in 100+ degree heat. After three and a half years of not owning a bike or riding with any regularity that was NO FUN AT ALL.

:225:

:thumbsup: Great tips everyone I think I used about everyone, I made it up to the mountains and regardless of what my brother says it's still hot. I did loose on of the fork deflectors on the way up and I think the extra wind wind actually made it feel hotter.

One thing Odd I checked my coolant when I left and it was fine but after 500 miles yesterday it was low, no puddles or noticable leaks. can the extreme heat cause you to loose coolant?

• 9 months later...
well you are lucky, It may be too hot there but at least you can ride bike, its dang cold here, I got couple of days of riding but that it. Its been like 30 degrees here for most day and I live in South Dakota.

Not sure if you noticed but the OP started this thread in June ... of last year! :whistling: