IGNORED

Whats the best undergarment in Hot weather.

GolfVenture

Sacramento is hitting a heat waive around 105 this weekend. So I would like to know how to cloth under garments properly in this type of heat. Since I'm coming into that area.

First of all I leaned the acro ATGATT for riding in extreme heat.

But what about under garment.

In more reasonable riding temp from 70s to 80s, under my Tour Master Transition Jacket with zipper air pockets and my Tour Master Air Pants, I wear a T-shirt and long jeans, so when I reach my destination I just remove my riding gear.

So when one is riding long distance and gets caught in a heat wave of like 100 + degrees what would be best to combat the heat.

1) Keep the Jeans and T-shirt on.

2) How about Shorts and a T-shirt.

3) How about a specility item. The thinest, undergarment that has excellect moisture wicking properties.

If 3 is the best recommendation then, being that your entire body is giving of moisture would full length sleeve or short length sleeve be better?

4) Or maybe something better???

Oh, all this would be in consideration with one wearing a cooling vest and a cooling neck wrap.

I know also that one needs to have a large hikers drinking back pack. Inaddition to water one needs something like Gatoraid or Propel drink also.

I try to leave my Tourmaster Air jacket on as long as possible. But anything over about 90 here in Fl and it get unbearable at times. I have done the long sleve t-shirt and wet it when I leved in Oklahoma and it works pretty well as long as its damp. I have allways been a jeans kinda guy I guess, never had the textile pants. Dont forget sunscreen, skin cancer can be a bit$#.

Golf&Venture, while I HATE riding in extreme hot weather, and even worse if it is humid out, like in Florida...I have found that staying hydrated with WATER works best. Take in as much water as you can, and suppliment it with your choice of either gatoraid or propel, whichever tastes best to you. Do NOT drink alcohol when it is really hot out, as a way to cool you down. Does not work...if you are still going to ride.

I also recommend always wearing a long sleeved shirt on top, and a lightweight jacket on top of that. To really stay cool, remove the jacket...soak the long sleeved t-shirt in lots of water, and then put your lightweight jacket back on. If you ride without the jacket, the air will dry out the t-shirt. If you ride with the wet t-shirt under a light weight jacket, the t-shirt will stay wet for a long time, keeping you cool.

The cool neck scarves also work well. Whether worn around the neck, or around the forehead (if it fits under your helmet), it is important to keep the blood going TO your head as cool as possible on hot days. Get TWO of those gel filled cool neck scarves...wet both of them...put one on around your neck...put the second one in a one gallon freezer ziplock bag that is also filled with ICE. When the first one loses it cooling ability, switch them out, and use the second one. Keep doing that all day, and you will never be too hot.

Try LDComfort under clothes. They are designed by a member of the IronButt Association, and made right here in Aberdeen, WA. They work very well for long distance riding, riding in hot or cold weather. I have three pairs of their shorts and long sleeved t-shirts. On a very long trip, that is all I take for under garments, as they are very comfortable, and wash/dry very fast.

:detective:

We did a lot of hot day riding on our VentureWest last summer and found the neck wrap that you soak in water before wearing to be amazing for its cooling effect. They claim it stays wet and helps keep you cool for two days after being soaked but we found that soaking it every morning worked well, and it really did feel cool all day long. Bought one at CAA (AAA in the US) and the other at Tilly Endurables.

We found something like the neck cooler thing in walmart for your head. Hubby bought one to try he said it fits fine under the helmet and works well in keeping your head cooler as well. It would be in the hunting and camping section.

Margaret

Yep, Just bought a couple of those a few weeks ago at Wally World. Been using the neck coolers for years in the hottest times but the cooler do-rag works very well under the helmet.

Mike

+2 on LD Comfort. Long sleeve shirt, wetted, under your NON-AIR riding jacket. Keep it zipped up. When you need some cooling, stick your arms out and let your sleeves fill up with air. The water evaporating off your sleeves will give a welcome chill and keep you cool for several hours.

If you are riding fairly long distances with an air jacket and pants, dehydration can be a problem. Besides, in really hot weather, it feels like riding in a blast furnace.

Have never used the cooling wrap. Need to score one of those and try it out.

RR

I bought some Heat-Out long underwear that is manufactured by Bilt to use on the Central Kentucky Memorial weekend event this year. Temps that weekend was in the mid 90's and I was quite comfortable wearing Rebock athletic shorts with the long undies under mesh jacket and pants.

I just returned from a 1600 mile trip on Skyline Drive, BRP, Cherohela, and Dragon and wore that same gear in the 55 degree morning mountain temps and mid 80's on the way home and was never uncomfortable.

I would agree completely with the neck coolers. Before I retired, I was a HS Marching Band director and bought them by the gross for my students while at band camp and for late summer practices. There was a noticeable difference in the ability to concentrate while using them in hot weather.