IGNORED

intercom help please!!!!!!!!!!1

OK guys left home yesterday headed to Emerald Isle NC. Everything going great,talking to wifey on back through intercom then about an hour into the trip, loud pop through helmet speakers and NO INTERCOM. Played with wires buttons etc and nothing. Stopped for gas,cranked the girl back up and BINGO intercom working again! Happy happy happy!!!!!!!For about 10 minutes and POP......SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!!The rest of the trip every now and then INTERCOM for 10 to 15 seconds....no intercom...grrrrrrrrrr.Cranked her up for return trip today INTERCOM WORKING,20 MINS......no intercom for rest of trip home even after restarting her.Almost as if working until gets hot ?????????????Any ideas......got to have my intercom guys can't talk dirty to wifey without it......HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'd start by checking the plugs on the helmets and work "in" from there. Make sure everything is fully seated. My wife's on-helmet plug would pull out slightly. Re-seating the plug usually took care of the problem. Every now and then it would be the on-cord plug, but not often.

Up on the helmets where mine plug in there is a retaining strap. Does only one person loose the radio? Or do both go out? There is also a connector undr the passenger seat when you go to looking fo loose connections.

Up on the helmets where mine plug in there is a retaining strap. Does only one person loose the radio? Or do both go out? There is also a connector undr the passenger seat when you go to looking fo loose connections.

both lose intercom,complete system goes dead,checked all external connections on helmets and all plugs on bike that I can see

I'd start by checking the plugs on the helmets and work "in" from there. Make sure everything is fully seated. My wife's on-helmet plug would pull out slightly. Re-seating the plug usually took care of the problem. Every now and then it would be the on-cord plug, but not often.

I have checked all helmet connections and both helmets go dead at same time...pop/dead.

I had the same problem, I do not know if this will help but you can give it a try. Pull passenager seat and check to make sure that the coax cable going in to left armrest is not pinched, if it is reroute it, mine was pinched. Almost every time I hit a bump it would go off then out of the blue it would come back on.Rerouted has worked every since:fingers-crossed-emo

I had the same problem, I do not know if this will help but you can give it a try. Pull passenager seat and check to make sure that the coax cable going in to left armrest is not pinched, if it is reroute it, mine was pinched. Almost every time I hit a bump it would go off then out of the blue it would come back on.Rerouted has worked every since:fingers-crossed-emo

ok sir getting ready to go pull the seats in just a few........my guess is a pinched wire/cable somewhere...I just don't/didn't know where they were routed,will let you know in a few, thanks

ok sir getting ready to go pull the seats in just a few........my guess is a pinched wire/cable somewhere...I just don't/didn't know where they were routed,will let you know in a few, thanks

ok pulled seats,took apart left arm rest all wires look good,no kinks,or anything.....

checked....no pinched wires or anything i can see

Or check the connections in the fairing, if you do that put a bead of dielectric grease around the outside edge of the connectors ( not on the pins as it is non conductive)

man i was hoping no one was going to say that (split faring)............just so i will know about where to look where does the intercom plug in inside the faring???????

ok then the next thing I would do is start checking continuity on your cables , if you have a tester check em , you might find a bad cable or a pin along the way or something thats not tightly connected:fingers-crossed-emo

Splitting the fairing only takes about 15 minutes. Its really not that hard.

I've done it once before....any secret to getting to those two bolts that hold the passing light on that are almost hidden behind the lower part of the faring

ok.....thing is working for the moment plugged helmet in to front and back and started moving wiggling and shaking wires all the way from passenger left control to back of gas tank and no popping and still working so i guess its split the faring and start doing the same thing until i get some kinda reaction.Where does it plug into system in the faring????????

ok then the next thing I would do is start checking continuity on your cables , if you have a tester check em , you might find a bad cable or a pin along the way or something thats not tightly connected:fingers-crossed-emo

don't own a meter sir.....and wouldn't know how to use it if i had one lol all i have is a test light

small soft wire brush or cut an old emery board and slip it in and out. the audio connections are the black plugs right by where you are working. I would open them one at a time and inspect, dielectric grease around the female side at the groove on the side only. Once together wipe any excess off with a rag. You will be glad you did.

small soft wire brush or cut an old emery board and slip it in and out. the audio connections are the black plugs right by where you are working. I would open them one at a time and inspect, dielectric grease around the female side at the groove on the side only. Once together wipe any excess off with a rag. You will be glad you did.

Will do sir......is this conncter I have apart here the connector for the intercom?????when I pulled it apart the intercom went dead so I figured this was the problem area. and can i put dielectric grease on these pins once i clean them?

Edited by msshearin

I belive the black round connectors are the audio/comm stuff. That would appear to be maybe power and control wires for cassette and radio posssibly. Oh and the trick I have found for the bolts for the light bar, 6mm long ball allen from snap on. I dont know how you would do it other wise. I just happened to have one and was glad I did.

I've done it once before....any secret to getting to those two bolts that hold the passing light on that are almost hidden behind the lower part of the faring

I use a ball head allen wrench for these. Available from Harbor Freight and other fine tool dealers everywhere.

Mike