IGNORED

You guys warned me and I didnt listen!!! Now I have a favour to ask!

friesman

Does anyone here happen to have a sidestand for my 85 G1? If you do please pm me asap with price etc, so I can get it shipped out airmail as I have a trip planned for next Friday and I am not sure it will make it even with airmail. it will be an intersting trip if I have to use the center stand everywhere.....lol

Thats quite a shocker when the stand lets go and the bike and you come over on to the pavement...All is good, just a couple of small scratches on the new paint and left mirror....my elbow took a good whack on the parking lot, but it will heal and at least elbows dont need paint.:confused24:

I know Ive had plenty of warnings from all you guys here, and Ive given my side stand a look once in a while, but I didnt do the real good look over like I should have. So, to anyone else that hasnt checked your sidestand go outside and check it right now!!!

Does anyone here happen to have a sidestand for my 85 G1? If you do please pm me asap with price etc, so I can get it shipped out airmail as I have a trip planned for next Friday and I am not sure it will make it even with airmail. it will be an intersting trip if I have to use the center stand everywhere.....lol

Thats quite a shocker when the stand lets go and the bike and you come over on to the pavement...All is good, just a couple of small scratches on the new paint and left mirror....my elbow took a good whack on the parking lot, but it will heal and at least elbows dont need paint.:confused24:

I know Ive had plenty of warnings from all you guys here, and Ive given my side stand a look once in a while, but I didnt do the real good look over like I should have. So, to anyone else that hasnt checked your sidestand go outside and check it right now!!!

What if it's parked in the living room?:doh: There are threads that show how to repair it, maybe that would be a better, quicker way to approach the problem.

try this: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48342

Edited by Mel
link

hey Brian... welcome to the club buddy !!! When it happened to me I was at a Yamaha shop and there were several guys/gals milling around outside looking at bikes... dang I felt stooooopid! Where were you when this happened?

Sorry about your mishap ... especially to a newly painted bike!

What if it's parked in the living room?:doh: There are threads that show how to repair it, maybe that would be a better, quicker way to approach the problem.

try this: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48342

Thks for the link Mel, but the back ear has broken off and I need the parts to repair it, the fixes shown will onlu work before things break off.

I just waited too long and messed up.....

hey Brian... welcome to the club buddy !!! When it happened to me I was at a Yamaha shop and there were several guys/gals milling around outside looking at bikes... dang I felt stooooopid! Where were you when this happened?

Sorry about your mishap ... especially to a newly painted bike!

I was at the Biker central Tim Hortons this am , with at least 20 bikers hanging around. It is kind of embarassing laying on the ground with a bike on top of you, looking up at a bunch of guys gathered around.....:bang head:

But on the upside I met a guy that just got his Midnight Venture and I am sure we will see him joining soon...:cool10:

Brian

friesman---------I have a ss from my 92 VR----------but airmail to your country would b $$$$$$$$$$$$$-------------------w/the shoulder-bolt----------------ya coming to the good ole USA??-----------------------------------ALSO------a Virago ss will work-----------happened to me in Daytona Beach yrs. ago------------:group cheers:------------salvage yard for mc------check'em on your TRIP----------------------:usa::usa::usa::usa:

friesman---------I have a ss from my 92 VR----------but airmail to your country would b $$$$$$$$$$$$$-------------------w/the shoulder-bolt----------------ya coming to the good ole USA??-----------------------------------ALSO------a Virago ss will work-----------happened to me in Daytona Beach yrs. ago------------:group cheers:------------salvage yard for mc------check'em on your TRIP----------------------:usa::usa::usa::usa:

I didnt realize a Virago stand would work, thks for the info, I will check th MC salvage yards on Monday. if that doesnt work I might give you a call and just pay the air freight.

Brian

I have two 83 parts bikes. If nothing else works for you, you can have one of them if you pay the freight. I can take one off tomorrow and ship on Monday. Brian is a lot closer though....if his will work.

I have two 83 parts bikes. If nothing else works for you, you can have one of them if you pay the freight. I can take one off tomorrow and ship on Monday. Brian is a lot closer though....if his will work.

Kic can you take my measurements and see if it matched up with your MKI. I may have been sold something that does not even fit a Venture.

Kic can you take my measurements and see if it matched up with your MKI. I may have been sold something that does not even fit a Venture.

Post or send me a picture and your measurements. I will go over in the morning and check the match.

I'll pull one and bring it home with me just in case.

Thanks for the offers to help!

I just got off the phone with a guy that thinks he can weld mine, i am a bit concerned as it broke the tab off right at the seam and wonder if it would hold, but the guys says it will be stronger than new. I will drill the back hole out and double nut the bolt instead of hunting down a new bolt from the manufacturer.

I will keep you posted If the welding works or not. Ill post a couple of pictures here showing the stand and how it broke so you can let me know if you experts will think welding will work or not.

Brian

Brian thanks for the offer of the stand but i dont think it will work for a MK1 either, I think that you have stand off a Virago as the spring appears to be on the backside, where the ventures look like the spring is on the front side of the kickstand.

Brian

So is this a MK1 problem only or should i go check my 93 also?:shock3:

You should check your stand as I understans it happens with all g1 bikes. The wear puts stress on the shoulder bolt which either breaks or snaps the tab off.

Here is the link about it and how to fix it so it wont happen.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48342

Brian

Someday I'm going to take the one off my VR and compare the two very closely. If do able I'm going ask my neighbor welder and have him move the hook and also to lengthen the stand a tiny bit. Sometimes I'm finding the VR kind of a struggle to get it off the side stand when 2 up, and sometimes only 1 up.

I'll need to add the foot peg hook at the end of the foot of the side stand.

Any caution thoughts of lengthing the stand? I'm thinking maybe 1/2 or 1 inch, depending on where it lays with the stand up on the VR.

One thought that is of concern is are all the stress points of the stand the same, because this stand would be for a lighter bike.

Any caution thoughts of lengthing the stand? I'm thinking maybe 1/2 or 1 inch, depending on where it lays with the stand up on the VR.

You might want to do what I did .... took a piece of a kitchen vinyl cutting board and adapted it to the bottom of the stand.

I had to heat the stand and "melt" it into the vinyl so it had a real snug fit ... counter sunk two machine screws from the bottom to attach it.

[ATTACH]68021[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]68022[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]68023[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]68024[/ATTACH]

You should check your stand as I understans it happens with all g1 bikes. The wear puts stress on the shoulder bolt which either breaks or snaps the tab off.

Here is the link about it and how to fix it so it wont happen.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48342

Brian

If the bolt is kept lubed up that shouldn't happen. What does happen is the shoulder bolt wears and folks think it needs to be tightened up. It's a shoulder bolt and tightening it won't do a bit of good. It will over torque the threaded portion and eventually the threads will snap off and the yoke at the end of the side stand will bend out of shape.... and the bike will end up on the ground. It's SOB bending it back to get a new bolt started. Don't ask me how I know that.... :whistling: It probably would be better if it broke and than rewelded using a new bolt to line things up... ?? :2cents:

I did have a spare Brian, but Delta Rat beat you to it by a couple of years....

Okay.. I pulled the MK1 kick stand. I have the shoulder bolt, the back nut, the spring bracket and the spring.

I took pictures and measurements (below).

If you need this kick stand, it's yours, let me know. I can air freight it tomorrow.

Bill