IGNORED

Rear shock on my 88 is not holding pressure

Guest byoung

Guest byoung

Just bought an 88 and found the rear shock will not hold pressure.

Is there a rebuild option or fix for this problem?

If not is anyone parting out a bike or anyone that would have an extra they might let go.

The price for the bike was to good to be true, i should have known:depressed:

I have already rebuild front shocks and replaced one anti-dive module.

Just found out the new replacements from progressive is ~$400.

This is much more than I had budgeted to get the bike on the road.

Any help is much appericated

Keep an eye on ebay, i think i spent about 40 bucks plus shipping for a used rear spare shock. or go to Pinwalls ebay shop and see what they have available now.

http://stores.ebay.ca/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc/Yamaha-Venture-1983-1993-/_i.html?_fsub=4&_sid=12458664&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Actually there are a few here for about 30 bucks each take your pick!

http://stores.ebay.ca/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc/Yamaha-Venture-1983-1993-/_i.html?_nkw=shock&submit=Search&_fsub=4&_sid=12458664

But mabbe spray for soapy water on all the connections and see if maybe you just have a leaky air line.

Brian

But mabbe spray for soapy water on all the connections and see if maybe you just have a leaky air line.

Brian

:sign yeah that:

I thought I had a rear shock going bad on my '84 when I first got it. Found out from the guys here there were very few failures on the 1st gen shocks so I started soaping the air line connections from the compressor all the way through the system. Snugged a few up and it's been fine for years now.

Worth a look before the spend the bucks.

Mike

:sign yeah that:

I thought I had a rear shock going bad on my '84 when I first got it. Found out from the guys here there were very few failures on the 1st gen shocks so I started soaping the air line connections from the compressor all the way through the system. Snugged a few up and it's been fine for years now.

Worth a look before the spend the bucks.

Mike

:sign yeah that: Make sure it's actually the shock....

Guest byoung

All the suggestions are much appreciated!

I will do a soapy water check on the system when time permits.

Hopefully before the weekend.

This forum is great I love access to "tribal knowledge".

Guest byoung

Tried the soapy water check for leaks and could not any.

Looks like I need a replacement

thanks for suggestions

Guest byoung

This is my first touring bike after many years of riding go fast bikes. I am not familiar with the extras on these bikes.

Snaggletooth and Condor mention the compressor and its lines.

The manual under section 6 rear suspension only shows the one air line with schrader valve and the dampening adjustment cable and nothing else.

I will look for the connector you mentioned tomorrow and hopefully get a better understanding of the setup.

It takes about a minute or two to bleed down from 30 or 40 psi.

Is there a break down or section in the manual I am missing. I hope so.

Thanks for the guidance!:confused24:

Guest byoung

Upgraded front forks with progressive springs and never added or checked the air pressure on the front. Most posts suggests riding on the new front setup before adding air.

Should add 5 or 10psi to front and check to see it holds?

Are they interconnected in someway?

I have a simaliar problem. When try to set the air pressure on the class controller to medium for the rear shock the pump runs for a few seconds the display shows 43 psi. But when I turn off the key and then back on and check the rear pressure it shows 0 psi. If I try the high setting the pump runs until it shows 71 psi. but the bike does not raise. any would be great. Thanks.

Guest byoung

I may have a base model that does not have the CLASS system, is that possible?

Where is the display? My model does not have any controls or displays other than the display around the speedo display.

I do not see anything else connected to the rear shock.

I am feeling a little stupid but this is my first tour bike.

Are there any pics of the location of the compressor and or the CLASS control system?

I may have a base model that does not have the CLASS system, is that possible?

Where is the display? My model does not have any controls or displays other than the display around the speedo display.

I do not see anything else connected to the rear shock.

I am feeling a little stupid but this is my first tour bike.

Are there any pics of the location of the compressor and or the CLASS control system?

You probably do have a standard. The biggest difference between the Royale and the Standard is the CLASS ride system. The controll sits below the right side hand grip facing up. It sticks out like a sore thumb, and you can't miss it. Some owners have removed the CLASS and gone to manual schraeder valve fill/ adjustment, and a few others have gotten rid of the air ride altogether by installing heavier springs and shocks....

Not to hijack. The thread , but what do u need to make the back manual.

I got progressives up front nut the back will not hold pressure.

Thanks

84 VR 120k brought back from the dead.

Most aftermarket shocks... Progressives included... do not have the air ride as standard, I believe some offer the air as an option. They all are big bucks... :mo money: Glad I don't have to go that route and resoldering the class board got things going again.