IGNORED

new to draggin a wagon

woody071585

I recently bought a trailer from harbor freight for a trip this summer out west before I pack up for the trip I planning I draggin it around home a lot any advice on max weight, tire psi, suspension psi, safe speed, anything I should watch for as far as harbor freight quality "bearings, balanced tires" etc. Also I haven't tore off the stock lights and put my L.E.D.'s on yet, am I ok to run the standard lights as far as the staters go?

When I bought my H.F. trailer, I pulled the hubs off, repacked the wheel bearings and put them back on setting the bearing tightness to my preferences. The stock lights are fine until you can replace them. When you pull up to a gas pump, remember YOU HAVE A TRAILER BACK THERE! (I didn't print that from experience fortunately) If your trailer pulls anything like mine does, unless it rattles or you look back, you won't know it's back there. I really use and enjoy mine.

I also lenghtened my trailer tongue two foot and put a cooler rack on it.

C.R.

Edited by Steel Horse Cowboy
added more info.

I recently bought a trailer from harbor freight for a trip this summer out west before I pack up for the trip I planning I draggin it around home a lot any advice on max weight, tire psi, suspension psi, safe speed, anything I should watch for as far as harbor freight quality "bearings, balanced tires" etc. Also I haven't tore off the stock lights and put my L.E.D.'s on yet, am I ok to run the standard lights as far as the staters go?

If you don't do ANYTHING ELSE, take the wheels off and REPACK the wheel bearings. Then set the pre-load properly. Also if your trailer is the H/F "Tag Along" replace the grease zerk fittings if they have not already fallen off.

My thoughts on the lights are replace them with the H/F LED (http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-lights/led-trailer-light-kit-95974.html) kit as soon as you can. The stock lights ARE sufficient, but will add electrical load to the bike's wiring. You will need a 5-wire to 4-wire adapter either way.

I run 20-25 pounds of air in the tires on my Tag Along and probably haul way too much weight, but almost don't notice it is back there. I just put Ride-On in the bike tires and had some left over and thought "what the heck" and put 3ozs in each of the trailer tires. that seems to have smoothed the trailer out even more.

If you ride 2-up AND pull the trailer, you might also wanna consider the Skydoc clutch upgrade.

Oh, also spare tire.....

Lights I've added

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67899

Thanks for the info what is ride on? I will have the girl friend on back should I up my suspension and rear tire psi too? I stopped at peterbuilt and picked up 7 flush mount red marker lights that are 3/8 round multi function I'm going to put 5 across the back the center will be just a runnin light the other 4 will be brake/turn and runnin then I'm putting the other 2 were the current tails are now facing the side then I got 2 single function ambers for the front sides "these lights are super bright there on the top of a lot of new semi trailers for clearance lights" then I got the strip style lights like you for the carrier I just not looking forward to feeding all that wire through the trailer frame and the pain of soldering all those connections

As mentioned when pulling into a gas station watch the width behind you

Watch out for holes if a tire drips in a hole at slow speeds it can pull you over

Tongue weight about 10 % trailer weight a cooler works well for this

I run the norm with tire pressure on the bike

50 psi in the rear shock when the honey is riding with me

Leave more time to stop

With that said have fun be safe you will forget it is behind you

Dave

All those things that have been posted are right, , , ,before you go anywhere, , , BUY A SPARE TIRE AND WHEEL, , , , ,and you CAN ask me how I know, , ,, get a small jack and a socket wrench that will fit the lugs.

I have pulled cargo and camper trailers all over the south and up the east coast several times and have needed the spare 2 times. It is cheap insurance to keep you from having to leave it on the side of the road.

I extended the tongue, welded up a cooler rack, added all led's to the trailer and did a high center brake light ( Using relays from a 4 flat) , cleaned and repacked the bearings and races and torqued to 50# to seat , then backed off and tighten with a wrench it until it touches the washer then align up the castle and spin the tire, it should spin freely, if not loosen a notch at a time on the castle nut.

Always keep a small tool set on the trailer with a lug wrench, small greese gun , screwdriver, plyers, tape, and a small pack of wet wipes.

What was the reason you extended the pole? Was it just for a cooler or does it ride better too?

Think it depends on which HF trailer you buy. The Tag-along seems to be long enough (twice the distance between wheels). The other one's are "flat beds" that you add a car topper to. Seems that these are the ones people extend the tongue on.

Wody

If you have not already tapped into the bike's harness please consider my auxilary harness with the tag wires, see my ad in the classified section.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:Will make tapping into your bikes wiring a breeze just order the one with the tag lines already spliced in.

• 2 weeks later...