IGNORED

Finally got my wife to ride the 85 VR with me.

spitfire9

My wife and I are 50ish, and she was always terrified of bikes. Well, 2 yrs ago I talked her into riding with me on the Vulcan 900, and although a little scared at first, she thought it was ok. Problem was the small seat for her, and feeling of being maxed out on load for me.

I bought the '85 a month or so ago, and was instructed to "practice" a lot before we went 2 up. Good advise, actually. I put about 500mi and new tires on it and she decided she felt safe enough.

Let me tell you, after pulling almost 400lbs of us around on a 900cc cruiser, that VR is like a jet airplane for 2 in comparison. She said she was real comfortable, loved the stereo and smoother ride. Only thing that made her paranoid was being able to see the mirrors and cars in them, lol. Power wise, I couldn't really tell she was there. I think she'll be ready for more regular riding in the future. Another happy 1st gen owner here.

:cool10:

... to BOTH of you. :322: I have an 86 (my second; from Squidley and Lonna), .... and it is serving me very well:bighug:. Only basic maint, and nothing serious:cool10:. Course I am still looking for my Queen Seat Rider (at my 73, lol); Non-refundable finders fee is available.

Ride safe and enjoy being together.

Jack T

Glad you got her to come along. Some of the best times my wife and I have had in over 40 years of marriage has been from the seat of a motorcycle!! Enjoy and ride safe!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

My wife and I are 50ish, and she was always terrified of bikes. Well, 2 yrs ago I talked her into riding with me on the Vulcan 900, and although a little scared at first, she thought it was ok. Problem was the small seat for her, and feeling of being maxed out on load for me.

I bought the '85 a month or so ago, and was instructed to "practice" a lot before we went 2 up. Good advise, actually. I put about 500mi and new tires on it and she decided she felt safe enough.

Let me tell you, after pulling almost 400lbs of us around on a 900cc cruiser, that VR is like a jet airplane for 2 in comparison. She said she was real comfortable, loved the stereo and smoother ride. Only thing that made her paranoid was being able to see the mirrors and cars in them, lol. Power wise, I couldn't really tell she was there. I think she'll be ready for more regular riding in the future. Another happy 1st gen owner here.

She sounds like my wife. She bought a helmit about two years before getting on. then a leather jacket about six months before getting on. Then one day she wanted to go to a local restaurant for breakfast and on the bike, a short ride but longer day trips came shortly after, She still does not like the open highway so all trips have to be planned W/O highways.

I'm 52. 2 years ago I let my son talk me into doing the rider course with him (he wanted me to pay his fee, and figured he could bury that in the idea that we'd be doing something together.

I bought a 950 (v-Star), and rode that for about 3 months to get comfortable. Then I spent considerable time talking my wife onto the passenger seat. She enjoyed it, but wasn't real comfortable. Narrow seat, no backrest, etc. With the 2 of us on it felt a little underpowered anyway.

Traded the 950 in on the RSTD last year. Got the ultimate seat set (with armrests). Haven't been able to talk her OFF the back since.

She starts her course this thursday and there's a shiny new V-Star 650 sitting in my driveway waiting for her to finish the course. I've ridden it a little just to keep the fluids circulated (feels like driving a rollerblade after the RSTD).

Long story to say something simple... Riding is fun. After 24 years married, and 7 years prior, knowing each other we've found something new to do together.

I have had my Venture for 4 years now. Still trying to talk the better half into going for a ride.:crying:

The ride would have to start at the bike shop to find her at least a helmet. None of my old ones fit her right.

She is deathly afraid of bikes since she had a bad wreck as a teen when her boyfriend at the time turned his head and said watch this..........

........3 months later she got out of the hospital.

It has also been 20+ years since I have had a passenger.

She is weakening, I think one day she will get on for a short ride to test the waters.:fingers-crossed-emo

I have a couple of trips planned for this summer, she does not like to be left alone.

Daddy was a biker, he had a 54 Indian he bought new, sold it 13 yrs later when my great uncle (his riding buddy) passed away. So I only heard stories of his riding days since I was born in 74. I was brought up by Dad to think bikes were bad because of the troublemakers that tended to ride...Dad was no exception to that, he caused alot of trouble until he quit drinking (still before I was born). When one of my guy friends in HS bought a bike, I wanted to ride, Dad nipped that in the bud too lol. Wasn't until about 8 yrs ago when one of my friends decided one day that I was riding and I was going to ride that day. He spent the day teaching me to be a good passenger and said with enough time I would be really good at it. I had good instincts. He had hoped it would become a regular thing since he wife didn't ride. Unfortunately it didn't. Funny part is, Mike never met Howard before the time I was dropped off at home. So when Mike sees this burly Marine dropping his wife off at home after a bike ride he wasn't sure what to think other than at least he knew I was safe lol. That was also the catalyst that started Mike thinking about a bike.

My wife loves to ride also, when we moved up to the 83 Venture, she loved the big seat, backrest and the music and intercom. When I bought the V Star 1300 to ride while I restored the paint and now the tranny, she didnt ride much, mostly due to back, hip, neck problems which are now rectified, she rode twice on the V Star, but promises to try to get back to riding the Venture with me.......I cant wait till I get both my ladies back on the road again ( wife, and 1 st Gen).