IGNORED

Looking for oil leak solution.

I have a 1986 Venture that I purchased last fall. About two weeks after purchasing the bike I pulled a boneheaded mistake by driving off of what I thought was about a 5" curb (that turned out to be more like 8" tall) at a very slow rate of speed and basically dropped the lower crankcase ontop of the concrete curb. I noticed a pretty significant oil leak under the bike when I got home. At first I thought I had cracked the oil filter cover but after hauling it to the local Yamaha dealer to have it checked out it turns out that the crankcase itself was "bent". They gave me two options...turn it in to insurance as totaled (I don't have full coverage) or "JB weld" the oil cover on semi permanently until the next oil change at 10 or 12,000 miles. The "JB weld" idea worked pretty good last fall with just a few minor drips but this spring it seems to be getting much worse. Any suggestions on what else I can try?

I cannot tell where your leak is coming from with the information posted. Is the case cracked? How exactly is the oil getting out? JB Weld is pretty good stuff. The area must be cleaned and roughed up for a permanent bond. Aluminum can usually be welded, filed, ground and reshaped. Best of luck.

Mike

It's coming from the rim of the oil filter cover. The Yamaha dealer said the impact basically "bent or warped" the area where the cover and the crankcase meet...material is some sort of cast aluminum I assume (I'm not a motorhead so forgive me if my terminology is incorrect). The leak basically seems to be coming from around the JB weld area...I just didn't know if there might be a better solution. I will look closer, maybe the leak is coming from a different area that was damaged. Thanks for the reply!

BOB what are doing over here now? You following me?

On the oil leak I would see if maybe you can get it welded. I would guess the tempature swings might be whay it started leaking. If the JB has "come loose" you need to peel it all off try to ruff it up a bit and I would clean the area off with laquer thinner or MEK something with no oil resedue.

BOB what are doing over here now? You following me?

On the oil leak I would see if maybe you can get it welded. I would guess the tempature swings might be whay it started leaking. If the JB has "come loose" you need to peel it all off try to ruff it up a bit and I would clean the area off with laquer thinner or MEK something with no oil resedue.

Eh? Look at the join date above your city name, then look at mine, now who followed who, better question is who is more happy to be here?

When did you get a Yammy, what did you do with your Vulcan?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am not sure what the oil filter mods are...where would I find them online for more info. I will try to get a photo posted soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Adapter-plate-83-93-Yamaha-Venture-/250852278527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a67f600ff never sure of links so item nuber 250852278527 on ebay.

thats the one I have on my 91 vr. So far it works well with no leaks. It did seem to take a little less oil to fill to half way up the site glass though. Guess the l25288 purlator filter is a little smaller than the original filter housing.

David

This is where I bought mine, had I known how simple it was I would have machined it myself!

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Adapter-plate-83-93-Yamaha-Venture-/250988750735?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D250852278527%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7691027840088324805

If you can, try and take a pic and post it here. I would think that if you cleaned up the area and scuffed it up with a disc grinder, applied the JB that it wuld take care of it. Not too sure I would atempt having it welded while assembled.

I totally concur, with the amount of heat involved in welding aluminum and the rate at which the heat spreads in aluminum I would never consider that, even with a MiG welder.

I'm thinking if he gets a spin on adapter that once he gets it seated his problem may be forgotten. I'm looking at my adapter right now, it is machined to fit the stock can Oring, but it could easily be machined for a larger cross section Oring to spread out the seal area even more.

I've never seen cast aluminum 'warp'. Crack...yes, but not warp. Pull the filter cover off and look to see exactely you're dealing with. It might be nothing more than a cracked cover?? The spin-on adaptor is a good idea.... :thumbsup2:

Here are some photos. I know "warped" isn't the correct term...whatever you call a hard impact on white aluminum that distorts it but doesn't crack or break it is what I should have said. Thanks for all the responses so far!

[ATTACH]65907[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65908[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65909[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65910[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65911[/ATTACH]

Man I swear I'd give the spin on adapter a shot at solving that, take it to a shop(or send it to me) and have the O-ring groove cut wider, not necessarily deeper, but wider for a larger cross section O-ring and grease it up good with silicone and screw it on.

I spoke to the mechanic that did the JB Weld last fall and he mentioned the filter housing is fine (ie: not cracked) but the face of the plate that the filter housing mounts to is what got distorted..."bent" but it did not break or crack. Being white aluminum he said it could not be straightened. He said the gap was over 1/16" and that is where the leak is coming from. I did order the new spin on filter adaptor to give that a try. If the O-ring doesn't seal it off I will look at sending it to you to have it reworked to fit a thicker O-ring. I'm willing to try just about anything! Thanks for all of the advice and help.

I just put a different spin on adapter on mine last week, and the o-ring has very little protrusion past the adapter. I really doubt it will seal if going up against a bent case.

I would take Bob up on the suggestion to machine the groove wider right away and go up one step in the oring cross section.

Gary

Looks similar to the boneheaded thing I did some years back. Only my engine had fallen off a trailer and bent that area bad enough it cracked. I had it welded up and had a small annoying leak after that. So I put on one of the spin on adapter with a larger diameter o-ring the others mention and have had no problems since.

Here are some of pics. Just make sure the guy knows what he's doing, otherwise the oil will leak right through the weld.

Hope this helps

Bill

I am not a machinist so this might sound like a dumb idea but couldn't the mounting surface be "re-milled" to make if flat again? There appears to be a fair amount of material to work with. I know the location doesn't make it ideal to get at but it is just an idea. Also, I see the last photos from a1bummer appear to be off a Gen 1 bike...is the Gen 2 much different?

Edited by wags8440

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I received the re-machined spin on adapter and oversized O-ring from Bob Myers last Thursday. I spent Friday evening degreasing and scrubbing the undercarriage, cleaning off the JB Weld patch (found the guy that installed the JB weld did not install an O-ring between the filter housing and the crankcase!), and found the gap between the housing and the crankcase to be about 1/16" wide at the bottom! After taking Bob's advice and putting some silicone on the adapter and the crankcase, I embedded the new O-ring and tightened her down, spun on the new filter, added 4 qts of 10w40, and fired her up! Smoked like mad for about 10 minutes on high idle (I think the degreaser was burning off) and then purred like a kitten without losing a drop! Took a short ride around the block and checked for leaks again, nothing! Proceeded to put about 50 miles on checking every so often and everything checks out fine!

Thanks to Bob Myers for the machining and O-ring and everyone else for all of the advice! You guys made my summer! Scott