I did a rookie thing and screwed up (I hope not big time).

To make a long story short,

What size tap should I use to clean the female starter threads out on the inside of the drive shaft that the Flywheel bolt screws into? And where can I get one?

It looks like a M12 x 1.25 thread pitch.

I've tried Sears, Harbor Frieght, Northern Tool and NAPA. None of the sets they sell have that particle size included in them.

OK, in my mind the flywheel and the drive shaft have very little in common, and I'm trying to envision how they are related in regards to what you are talking about. Somehow I think I'm going to need a more complete description or more detail or both,, maybe a picture.

Off hand I think you are meaning pumpkin and drive shaft,, but I could be wrong,,, been that before once,, long time ago, but I still remember.

OK, in my mind the flywheel and the drive shaft have very little in common, and I'm trying to envision how they are related in regards to what you are talking about. Somehow I think I'm going to need a more complete description or more detail or both,, maybe a picture.

Off hand I think you are meaning pumpkin and drive shaft,, but I could be wrong,,, been that before once,, long time ago, but I still remember.

Sorry Your right, My Bad....I meant to say Crank shaft. You know the tapered shaft the Fly wheel goes on.

You are correct about the 12-1.25 threads.

I have a spare bolt if you need it, it is the drilled variety, stator oiler. I only found the bolt, not the internal bar for the oiler.

I also have a tap that size I can lend you.

Let me know if you want it, I can put in mail tomorrow.

Gary

You are correct about the 12-1.25 threads.

I have a spare bolt if you need it, it is the drilled variety, stator oiler. I only found the bolt, not the internal bar for the oiler.

I also have a tap that size I can lend you.

Let me know if you want it, I can put in mail tomorrow.

Gary

Thanks Gary but my bolt and oil rod are ok it's the starter threads on the inside of the shaft I buggered up.

And thanks for the offer to loan tap but I just placed an order to McMaster Carr should be shipped this morning.

Hey Bill,

I guess I should have hand-delivered and offered install for ya!!

Just a good laugh between mekanikin' indibiduals!!

I've done the same thing before.....

Good luck,

Dano :fingers-crossed-emo

Hey you work was fine, I was the dummy. I'm just hoping I can recover for the cost of a tap.

OK, Curiosity is getting the best of me.

HOW did you manage to bugger the threads in the crankshaft????:confused24:

My guess is flywheel puller. Don't ask how I know this.

It is also related to why I have a 12 x 1.25 tap.

Gary

Got the taps from McMaster Carr. Ordered Monday showed up on Tuesday (Great Service). The tap seemed to work fine and bolt threaded no problem.

That's good to hear Bob. Sure makes for one of those cliff hanger moments though don't it? :eek:

You gonna LOVE that new engage clutch. It's one of those mods you do and never have to give it another thought.

Dan's Da Man! And kudos to Squeeze to.