I am considering a J&M Model HS8154 headset for a 3/4 helmet ( I have an '88 Venture Royale). Is this a decent quality product? I have seen it mentioned here a few times. I am probably looking to use it with the CB more than anything else...just to communicate with others I am riding with. And then probably only looking to use it on a limited basis. I ride solo most of the time so not really looking to communicate with passengers. If anyone has other suggestions let me know.......and if you know make, model etc. I would appreciate it. I have seen the recommendations to shop at WingStuff but as a Canadian I will pay a premium in shipping, duties etc. to get it here. So suggestions for that would be appreciated too. Thanks! rez

Guest KitCarson

Is shipping really that bad?? I see that comment all the time. I have the Yamaha headset which is a J and M. I just looked up the price(mine was given to me) and it is like $180.00. The ones from Wing are like $60 dollars. Even if shipping cost you $40 bucks.....would still be a deal??? I do not see any problems with J and M headsets.....they sound fine to me. That is all I use one for is to hear another rider , and to use the CB. I have played with the radio a couple times......sounds okay to me.....but then I am tone deaf too, saw this post about using a section of surgical tubing to tune your carbs with.......that leaves me out......I cannot tune a radio let alone hear any change in pitch or tone with music. I think the J and M sets are fine. And the thing is with time.....say two or three years.......I think they all get a broken wire or something..so you can buy a ten year supply of headsets from Wing for the price of one from Yamaha or other places.

They are the way to go, if you go to Wingstuff.com, they have a set priced at $59.95 plus shipping, I have purchased 3 sets from them and they are excellent for music & intercom. To save on shipping have them shipped to one of your friends in the US and then have them mail them to you in Canada, its a lot cheaper, I just mailed some shirts to Relic in Canada and it was under $7.00 to mail them. Good luck.

www.wingstuff.com

I am considering a J&M Model HS8154 headset for a 3/4 helmet ( I have an '88 Venture Royale). Is this a decent quality product? I have seen it mentioned here a few times. I am probably looking to use it with the CB more than anything else...just to communicate with others I am riding with. And then probably only looking to use it on a limited basis. I ride solo most of the time so not really looking to communicate with passengers. If anyone has other suggestions let me know.......and if you know make, model etc. I would appreciate it. I have seen the recommendations to shop at WingStuff but as a Canadian I will pay a premium in shipping, duties etc. to get it here. So suggestions for that would be appreciated too. Thanks! rez

I'm looking at the exact same thing. I have an 84 VR and have a CB out of a 90 on it's way. I ride double 98% of the time (My wife loves riding as much as I do which means I am very blessed). Communications between us is important and with other riders in the group is important. I have a half helmet so I'm guessing I'll be in the market for a 3/4 helmet as well.

The problem with Wingstuff is that they will only ship UPS which is a major rippoff coming over the boarder. They burn us for lots of $$ on brokerage fees. If Wingstuff would ship USPS I would buy there as well.

Apparently http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=314 has the same sets for $68.00 and will ship USPS so it is cheaper there. Someone awhile ago found them for $59.00 somewhere else but I can't find that thread.

Sierra also sells a set of wires that plug into the radio and then the headsets plug into these wires. If the bike dosn't have them on it they cost about $60 as well.

Is this (and it sounds like it is) the best deal out there?

REZ:

I just noticed you are in Stoney Creek which is very close to me (Caledonia) maybe we can get a deal if we order together. Sierra offers free shipping on orders over $199.00 and I have another friend ordering as well so that would save a couple of bucks and give us an excuse to get together and talk about stuff as well as plan future rides.

:322:

Wayne

REZ:

I just noticed you are in Stoney Creek which is very close to me (Caledonia) maybe we can get a deal if we order together. Sierra offers free shipping on orders over $199.00 and I have another friend ordering as well so that would save a couple of bucks and give us an excuse to get together and talk about stuff as well as plan future rides.

:322:

Wayne

Guys that is what I use as well, they work well. Not the high quality but you can understand the music and the voices quite well, with little to no distortion.

I paid over 100 bucks for a set in Canada and they were a piece of crap. Not only the sound quality but the mike was crap so other people could barley understand you.

Got mine from Sierra and sent them to someone in the US. I do not someone who bought from Wingstuff and it cost them an extra 50 bucks to get across the border.

Brad

Guys have a look at Mic-Mutes.......well worth the money IMHO...I found without them the wind noise was very annoying to say the least.

http://mic-mutes.com/

Keith

From what I can see the mic-mutes turns the intercom into a push to talk system. Where would the push button be? Is the wiring the same on the 1st gen as it is on the 2nd gen? I can see this being of interest.

Wayne

Hi Wayne

I can't help you on the 1st gen but on the 2nd gen the PTT button is on the left side behind the mirror mount area. I believe one of the members is some how connected with Mic Mutes...do a search and you will find all kinds of info.

Keith

OK I'm not the sharpest nail in the box....

I found this link to Freebird's installation of Mic Mutes.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=992

Looks like a good system. push and release either push to talk button and the mics are live. push and release again and they are off. Push and hold to talk over the CB. GREAT idea!!!

Guest Popeye

I used Wingstuffs' J&M, 5-pin headsets, $60., in 3/4 helmets & they work 100% in my 86 VR.

What is the PTT discussion about?

I use PTT button for CB only & intercom is always on.

Intercom can be unplugged or volume turned down to zero. I've always left mine on since my nav doesn't talk all that much.

The CB is really great when riding with other Ventures &/or Wings. Directions, Pitstops, & just 'sharing' the ride.

If any wind noise using J&M, then helmet doesn't fit right, or mic isn't covered with the foam.

Wind noise will be the same as before intercom installation.

Wingstuff sells the whole set (with cord) for around 60 bucks. Thats what I got mine for. I also got dinged for over 40 bucks in "brokerage" fees.

Best place to buy is Wingstuff then send it to a friend in the US to mail it to you. I am sure there are plenty of members that would help out in this regard. Heck, I've got bike parts all over the US right now waiting for me to pick up! Camper and swivel hitchs in Hebron, other parts in AppleValley!

Lol, shipping for those items is gonna cost me about 500 bucks, once the trip down is all complete!:rotf:

Yes 100 bucks is still cheaper, but why would one pay that terrible ripoff when you dont have to?

Mic mutes wont go on my bike for the simple reason is that I rarely have a passenger. Just my kids now and then. Although, I think its a great set-up from what I've read.

Lol, shipping for those items is gonna cost me about 500 bucks, once the trip down is all complete!:rotf:

Mic mutes wont go on my bike for the simple reason is that I rarely have a passenger. Just my kids now and then. .

THe trip is the fun part going to pick the goodies.

Maybe you should get the mic mutes, the kids would love yah for it. :sign20:

Brad

Thankyou to all for the replies and advice. I have also seen this J&M HS8154 set on Ebay at several places for around $60.00...but always a catch for Canadians or International shipping or vendors not dealing with people outside USA. I don't get it. Our money is good too. Currently I have no contacts in the USA I can use. I have a friend visiting in the USA right now but they will be coming back on the 11th so not enough time to do the transaction. When I can make the arrangements I will be buying this set.Thanks everyone. rez

I'm the creator and patent holder of Mic-Mutes. I don't have a Mic-Mutes kit for the first generation. I offer versions for the 2nd generation RSV, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1800 Goldwing, Valkirie Interstate, Suzuki Cavalcade and for the JMCB-2003DU when installed on any bike.

Mic-Mutes is not a push-to-talk system, but it does use the CB PTT switches. It functions to toggle both mics ON-OFF or OFF-ON by detecting a quick hit-release on either the rider or passenger CB PTT. Your intercom converstaion will not be broadcast over the CB. Holding the CB PTT will always turn on the mics to allow normal CB operation.

We ship to Canada for $7 US.

www.Mic-Mutes.com

Bill Morphy

Thankyou to all for the replies and advice. I have also seen this J&M HS8154 set on Ebay at several places for around $60.00...but always a catch for Canadians or International shipping or vendors not dealing with people outside USA. I don't get it. Our money is good too. Currently I have no contacts in the USA I can use. I have a friend visiting in the USA right now but they will be coming back on the 11th so not enough time to do the transaction. When I can make the arrangements I will be buying this set.Thanks everyone. rez

Stick around for a bit and there will be lots of offers for addresses. Fact is, we're having a Meat & Greet on the 26 of this month in Michigan @ Macrays, just across the border from Sombra (Sarnia), you're welcome to come along, attend, and maybe by that time you may have all the needed in a lineup. Same goes for you Wizard765

• 3 months later...

So how's that J&M HS8154 working out for you Rez? I am considering getting that unit but I am a bit worried that you really get what you pay for. Is it a GOOD unit or does it just "Do the trick"? I don't want something to be only used for intercom. I would like to listen to my musak also and need descent speakers for this.

Who else has that? Are you pleased with it?

Cheers

So how's that J&M HS8154 working out for you Rez? I am considering getting that unit but I am a bit worried that you really get what you pay for. Is it a GOOD unit or does it just "Do the trick"? I don't want something to be only used for intercom. I would like to listen to my musak also and need descent speakers for this.

Who else has that? Are you pleased with it?

Cheers

Maritimer:

I've only had mine installed for a week now and 1000 Kms but I think they are a great. I'm having fun and being able to communicate with others riding with me is AWSOME!! Communications with the Navigator is much easier now. I don't use them much for music but have tried that and they leave much to be desired for that purpose. The sound is somewhat tinny and very little bass response. If that is the main purpose I'd spring more money for a better set. I'm sure someone here will pipe in with some recommendations for that.

Wayne

Maritimer:

I've only had mine installed for a week now and 1000 Kms but I think they are a great. I'm having fun and being able to communicate with others riding with me is AWSOME!! Communications with the Navigator is much easier now. I don't use them much for music but have tried that and they leave much to be desired for that purpose. The sound is somewhat tinny and very little bass response. If that is the main purpose I'd spring more money for a better set. I'm sure someone here will pipe in with some recommendations for that.

Wayne

IMO you will not get a good bass response anyways, the speakers are too far away from you ears, so that the ear channel cannot produce the low end. The backing for the speakers is the helmet, and is too flimsey for any acoustic drive to be available from that end. If you want, you can improve things somewhat by putting a filler behind the speakers to move them closer to your ear, but that might be somewhat uncomfortable for your ears if they push your ears back.

If you need a place to work from in the U.S. I don't mind helping out. I realize I am in Texas. I got the 277 series and the 8154 series. Put them in Scorpion EXO200 helmets. I believe there isn't a great difference in the speakers for the 1st gen system. However the microphone in the 277 is better. Smaller and has a greater noise rejection.

JB