IGNORED

Speedometer accuracy on 08 RSTD

Mike from Ohio

I have a 2008 RSTD and it seems like the bike is going slower than the reading on the speedometer. It is most noticeable at highway speeds of 55, 60, 65, 70, and I'm guessing it is off 3 to 5 miles per hour too high.

Has anyone run some tests to show the speed of the bike?

Common issue on most metrics, usually around 10% thus faster you go the more it is off. Using a CT on my vtx reduced it down to about 3-5% off, my RSV which I recently purchased seems to be about 10% off as well (according to my garmin gps). For the vtx there are different fixes on the market, not sure whats out there for the RSV, probably similar. I tend to go with the flow of traffic anyway so don't always pay attention to the speed limits and don't worry that much about speedometer being off, heck without my reading glasses on I can't really read what is says anyway.:)

As to why they are off I've heard different stories over the years, one being that it is intentional due to some long ago lawsuit. A google search would probably bring up why.

Several of us here have the SpeedoHealer installed. Most have found that they are actually about 7% off. I set my SpeedoHealer for a 7% correction and now it reads the same as my Garmin.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Second that, my '06 read 70 mph at 64 mph. The faster you go the farther the spread. The speedohealer is fairly easy to install and accurate. I think I set mine at 6.7 or 6.9.

I believe all late model Japanese bikes are like this. You know they are capable of producing an accurate speedomter. I have heard that they are allowed + or - 5% but if they are capable of accuracy they should give us accuracy. I firmly believe it is an effort to fool the public but with everybody getting GPS units we are catching on. My old 81 Maxim was right on the money and I was constantly passing. When I got my new Venture I wasn't passing anybody. I borrowed a radar gun and found it was off 6 mph at 70. My 96 Suzuki is almost exactly the same as the Venture but my 97 Sportster was accurate.

Not my 83. It is off only about one mph at 70 according to two different GPS's. That's a 2nd gen thing.

RandyA

Yeah but didn't you go in there and rotate the needle on the shaft? That was you, wasn't it? I did the same thing later on after having read that thread. Now it reads quite low at low speeds and dead on between 70-75ish.