I have used Dunlop 404 for eleven years, I get +10,000 miles from them always. They have served me well and I have 150K miles on my 02 RSMV. I will always run these. And I run the mountains of Nc all the time.

:farmer:

I have 404's on one RSV and Venoms on the other and the Venoms are just a little more sticky especially in the rain but I have nothing against the 404's will probally try Eliite 3's Next.

Been running the ME880's on the Venture for 3 years, never have had a "throwing rubber" issue, always get well over 12K miles rear and 15K miles front, and love the feel of these tires on the RSV. Just got my new one on the front last week for $145 installed. And the code shows a March 2012 manufacture date.

Still run Dunlops on the H-D, and love them too.

I have never heard of Metzlets "throwing rubber" either. Perhaps the tire referred too was underinflated and overheated? I put ME 880's on my Vulcan 900 and it was like I bought a new bike. I corner harder than I ever thought a skinny 21" tire could. Grip and wear have both been great so I ordered them for my Venture also. Hope to get them installed this weekend.

I have never heard of Metzlets "throwing rubber" either. Perhaps the tire referred too was underinflated and overheated? I put ME 880's on my Vulcan 900 and it was like I bought a new bike. I corner harder than I ever thought a skinny 21" tire could. Grip and wear have both been great so I ordered them for my Venture also. Hope to get them installed this weekend.

From what I've been able to read on the various tire sites, Metzlers are designed and manufactured a little differently in that they are made for the larger loads and profiles of bigger bikes. The front tire has a more rounded tread profile for a smoother, more neutral steering feeling, while the rear tire features a flatter tread profile and larger contact patch for better traction and mileage. I've been sold on them ever since I got the RSV in '08, and the original owner ran nothing but 880's on them since it was new. I guess to each his own, but it's a great tire for the RSV. But I still prefer the Dunlops for the H-D and my old VTX1300.

One tire thread I was reading had an interesting take on the mix-match question. The thought was generaly that although the compund might be slightly different if you stayed with the same style of tread design your OK. So if you look up say the Micheln front and not avail in your size look at tread pattern and match it to something simular.

I had D404's on my Kawasaki and in the wet here in Fla they scared me more times than I care to think. I went to Pierrli route 66 and got good milage out of them.

I have personally seen a well kept Metzler 880 delaminate. A 150 80/15 at 15k miles. It was found by accident on a ride when talking tires at a stop. I bent over to look at the tire from the back and pulled a fist sized chunk away from the carcass. It was being held on by a thin strip of rubber at the top.

The tires still had half tread and the owner was singing their praises as he liked the tires...

There have been a number of postings about this the last couple years on other forums and some here... Not much said lately though. I hope they solved the issues. I would like to get a set myself.

In the mean time I have heard that Kenda has upgraded their Kruze tires and I might do a set of them next just to see how they are...

Got the rear Avon - waitin' on the Brown truck to deliver the front, then off to the local shop for mount and balance. Looking forward to trying the Venoms after 9k of the 404's.

Hoping all the good stuff said about the Avons works for me. The 404's still have life in them but original rubber and going on 5 yrs old - thought it best to go for new sneakers before the season gets in full swing.

Will post review.

Guest Slab_Ryder

I just replaced my E3's yesterday. 33,000 kms (20.0k Miles) on Front Tire, 40,000 kms (24.8k Miles) on Rear. Still had 5-10,000 left on front tire

Right off their web site...........here are your tires. Well the first time I pulled it up it showed tires for your bike, then when I went back, no fitment..........go figure

Here we go....... Looking at tires for my 07 Venture. Currently have the original tires with 14,255 miles on them. Rear is ready to be replaced. Going to replace the front only because it's 5 years old. Here's my questions..... I have read about someone with a Michelin Commander || on the rear. What would be suggestions for the front? Michelin does not make a front tire for the Venture. I haven't had any problems with the Dunlop 404's which are what's on the bike now. Also, the member that has the Michelin Commander ||, has it on a first gen. As far as the riding I do? Mostly highway and around town. Don't have many twisties around Joliet but would like a set of tires that would be good for that when I get the opportunity. The Venoms were discontinued and I know I have read a lot about people using those. Just not sure if I should stick with what I have, or go to something different. I'm kind of one of those that figures if it's not broke, don't fix it. Anybody's thought or suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for putting up with me babbling.

Kevin

Edited by DragonRider

Guest Slab_Ryder

I would disagree. The OEM Tire size would be the best for the Bike. The OEM size is easily cross referenced by each manufacturer. Altering the size could change the Rake and Trail AND could render the SpeedO/Odo erroneous. The Dunlop size is:

Front - 150/80-16M/C 71H

Rear - 150/90B 15 M/C 74 H

Personally, I have been exceptionally satisfied with the Dunlop Elite 3, pressures set as Front/Back Tire - 40/41 psi