IGNORED

Mexico

Sailor

Just got back from Mexico. Before I left I posted info about a flyer I got with my airline ticket about not taking U.S. cash to Mexico. I now have more information. Please do not shoot the messenger. I am just passing on the info I was given.

When we arrived at the hotel they informed us that the Mexican government is very concerned about the amount of U.S. cash in Mexico. Between tourism and drugs it has affected the value of the Peso. The Mexican government is PROPOSING to order banks not to accept American cash. This will not affect credit or debit cards but businesses will no longer take U.S. cash. This will do two things...1. strengthen the Peso and 2. All those drug lords with untold millions in American cash will be stuck with worthless paper.

Another thing they PROPOSE to do is tighten up their border to cut down on all the guns being smuggled into Mexico from the U.S.

I do not know if they will actually do these things.

While we were there the business owners told us that tourism has changed a lot there. Only 3% of the tourists are now from the U.S. while 46% are from Canada with the rest being from Europe.

They will still accept Canadian cash.

I agree with Mexico. They should build a fence to keep out American guns.

American guns belong in the hands of American citizens.

We need to stop the American Government from smuggling guns into Mexico.

I agree with Mexico. They should build a fence to keep out American guns.

American guns belong in the hands of American citizens.

We need to stop the American Government from smuggling guns into Mexico.

And Canada needs to stop guns from both USA and Mexico (and wherever else) from being smuggled into our country.

Now, let's not turn this into a polit..spit...cough.. ical gun debate.

Welcome Back Kerry ... hope you two had a great time.

Don't forget .... http://www.kruisnthekootenays.ca/

We're starting to get registrations already ... even have 3 guys on Wings from Florida showing up (they're from another site).

Thanks Rick. We had a great time. Nice people, good food, only problem is I kept running into people from Saltspring Island down there. Three weeks with no phone, no computer, no tv, even Janet began to relax. It was great.

They didnt have a hard time taking my US currency while we were in Cozumel...........although I didnt spend a whole lot there. I dont know if I want to use my Debit card in a foreign country!!!

Sure you do Lewis, bring it up here, we will help you get used to using it in this foreign country......:mo money::rotfl::rotfl:

Brian

Sure you do Lewis, bring it up here, we will help you get used to using it in this foreign country......:mo money::rotfl::rotfl:

Brian

Wait... If you up there, doesn't that make down here a foreign country? Funny, I never thought of myself as a foreigner:think: Now I'm really confused:starz:

I find the easiest thing is to go to an ATM and get the local currency. Keeps things simple and you get the best rate. I did notice they were still accepting U.S. currency although some wanted Canadian instead. As I said these changes are possible in the future. Come up to Canada. We will take all the U.S. cash you will give us, and we even speak the same language, depending on where in the U.S. you are from. lol. Leave the guns at home, we don't want them and you won't need them.

I'm in Mazatlan right now. That's crazy news about American currency! The resort that we stay in is American owned and they have no problems changing dollars to pesos. We would never try to pay for meals etc with dollars anyway since that is an invitation to get ripped off.

Just got back from Mexico. Before I left I posted info about a flyer I got with my airline ticket about not taking U.S. cash to Mexico. I now have more information. Please do not shoot the messenger. I am just passing on the info I was given.

When we arrived at the hotel they informed us that the Mexican government is very concerned about the amount of U.S. cash in Mexico. Between tourism and drugs it has affected the value of the Peso. The Mexican government is PROPOSING to order banks not to accept American cash. This will not affect credit or debit cards but businesses will no longer take U.S. cash. This will do two things...1. strengthen the Peso and 2. All those drug lords with untold millions in American cash will be stuck with worthless paper.

Another thing they PROPOSE to do is tighten up their border to cut down on all the guns being smuggled into Mexico from the U.S.

I do not know if they will actually do these things.

While we were there the business owners told us that tourism has changed a lot there. Only 3% of the tourists are now from the U.S. while 46% are from Canada with the rest being from Europe.

They will still accept Canadian cash.

Mexico will never quit taking U.S. currency 90% of Mexico's economy comes from America. Mexico publishes literature instructing their citizens how to enter the u.s. illegally and find jobs so they can send money to relatives in Mexico. The drug money is an other major portion of their economy not only are they not trying to stop it they don't want to stop it.

The reason only 3% of the tourist in Mexico are from America is because most Americans know better than to go to a country where they murdered 40 thousand people last year. We also know the police and military are corrupt. I.m glad you had a good time and made it home safe. Many tourist are not that lucky a group of tourists got off a cruise ship and went for a guided hike and were robbed at gunpoint a couple of weeks ago. Two weeks ago 2 local men and and one woman went into mexico to visit relatives witnesses said the police stopped them and arrested them they have not been seen or heard from sense and probably never will be.

I find the easiest thing is to go to an ATM and get the local currency. Keeps things simple and you get the best rate. I did notice they were still accepting U.S. currency although some wanted Canadian instead. As I said these changes are possible in the future. Come up to Canada. We will take all the U.S. cash you will give us, and we even speak the same language, depending on where in the U.S. you are from. lol. Leave the guns at home, we don't want them and you won't need them.
You don't want my guns in your country I can believe that and I respect your opinion and your laws not all Canadians feel that way. Many Canadians were devastated when their guns were outlawed and confiscated and if the laws were change tomorrow they would start buying guns.

You say I would not need my guns If I came to Canada do you really believe that? Can you guarantee the safety of everybody in Canada at all times? Do Canadians never commit violent crimes against each other or visitors? Are all Canadian grizzly bears tame? You may think I would not need a gun if I were in Canada but that is naive in my opinion. I respect Canadian law but I reserve the right to defend myself so I will keep my money and guns in the United States.

They didnt have a hard time taking my US currency while we were in Cozumel...........although I didnt spend a whole lot there. I dont know if I want to use my Debit card in a foreign country!!!

I don't have a debit card, never will but I have a few credit cards (4 to be exact) and I've never had any trouble or residual problems from using them in any of the countries we have visited :mo money:

It depends on how long we plan on staying, but if it's for a couple of weeks I generally trade USD for Pesos locally with a no-load currency trader. If I'm just going down for a couple of days, and driving, I'll use a kiosk near the boarder and take the hit for the 10%. If I run out on a long trip I'll check out a silver shop in a local mall, and generally get a better deal than the daily rate.... Paying for things with USdollars will only cost you in the long run as most shops will never give you change close to the exchange rate. They always round off to the lower rate.... Especially when buying fuel.

You don't want my guns in your country I can believe that and I respect your opinion and your laws not all Canadians feel that way. Many Canadians were devastated when their guns were outlawed and confiscated and if the laws were change tomorrow they would start buying guns.

You say I would not need my guns If I came to Canada do you really believe that? Can you guarantee the safety of everybody in Canada at all times? Do Canadians never commit violent crimes against each other or visitors? Are all Canadian grizzly bears tame? You may think I would not need a gun if I were in Canada but that is naive in my opinion. I respect Canadian law but I reserve the right to defend myself so I will keep my money and guns in the United States.

:no-no-no: :thumbdown: :sign chill out:

I just asked the question on using US dollars in Mexico and here is the answers on Yahoo.com

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100928190717AAnX2Fx

Btw Redneck, guns are allowed and many ppl have them up here, rifles and shotguns are fairly easy to get and regulations are fairly straightforward. But, handguns are another whole issue, most people cant use Except at a range and with out jumping thru a bunch of hoops to check out the gun and who you are. (for the most part, you have to be law enforcement, fish and game, military, or border staff)

Our guns have NEVER been taken away from us up here, but they are controlled to a point and as a result our gun deaths are a mere fraction per capita of the US.( eg compare Vancouver and Seattle, close together, similar areas and sizes of cities)

This is all I am saying on this matter. sorry if I started sumthin but couldnt let a statement that we dont allow guns up here stand.

Brian

I just asked the question on using US dollars in Mexico and here is the answers on Yahoo.com

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100928190717AAnX2Fx

Btw Redneck, guns are allowed and many ppl have them up here, rifles and shotguns are fairly easy to get and regulations are fairly straightforward. But, handguns are another whole issue, most people cant use Except at a range and with out jumping thru a bunch of hoops to check out the gun and who you are. (for the most part, you have to be law enforcement, fish and game, military, or border staff)

Our guns have NEVER been taken away from us up here, but they are controlled to a point and as a result our gun deaths are a mere fraction per capita of the US.( eg compare Vancouver and Seattle, close together, similar areas and sizes of cities)

This is all I am saying on this matter. sorry if I started sumthin but couldnt let a statement that we dont allow guns up here stand.

Brian

http://www.socnet.com/archive/index.php/t-9111.html I don't know what you call it up there but in my neck of the woods we call this confiscation. I learned a few things about Canadian gun laws as I read a few articles on the subject today ( yes I can read small words) and I was glad to see that the long gun registration program ended last month and all the records are to be destroyed. There may still be hope for our frozen neighbors to the north.