IGNORED

Allow me to vent if you will

SilvrT

No purchase necessary, to me, indicates, I know it doesn't say, but indicates that I don't have to buy anything, but can just walk right in a get an entry. Really, I think you should have to buy something, but that is not the rules the government puts before these people, so this is the way around it, don't blame the merchant, blame the government and all the stupid rules they manage to come up with.

As far as advertizing is concerned today,,, the monkeys are getting smarter by the hour and say just enough or not enough to get us to buy, without making any wild promises. It's all in the grammar, often times it's not what is said, but what we think was said or what wasn'r said. Time will come when advertizing will become absolutely useless.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Darthandy.I agree thay calling young employees, trying to get by, stupid may be harsh and insensitive.Even the lack of energy at work csn be overlooked.What gets me is having to repeat my self more than once due to inattention to work and over attention to less important matters like what yhier coworker did on a date or how someone is gonna get beat up. Pay attebtion to the patrons or I will complain to the mgrs.

Ex. I was at a supeemarket getting checked out tge cashier was speaking with her friend about her dare.I didnt find it appropriate even if my kids were not there.Professional conduct is a must

No purchase necessary, to me, indicates, I know it doesn't say, but indicates that I don't have to buy anything, but can just walk right in a get an entry.

When I read the sign, I was led to believe I could go to the counter and get a rollup cup.

When I went to the counter, I was told NO, and to contact head office. (it was a bit more "forceful" than a simple NO)

What would have been more appropriate IMHO, from both the clerk and the manager, would have been for them to politely explain that "yes, there is no purchase necessary but you have to write to Tim Horton's to get the free cup with no purchase. Here is where it states that in the rules....". END OF STORY. No fuss... no muss. SIMPLE. but nooooo ... for some reason that's just too difficult.

Nowhere in these rules does it say the store has to give you a free cup.If you read the rules it clearly states you have to write to the address in your country and you will recieve your free cup in the mail.If you do not wish to purchase you must mail in for your free cup if you wish to play.Therefore the no purchase necessary advertising is not false .IMHO you owe the manager an apology but that's just my opinion.I am not connected with Tim Hortons or their advertising in any way shape or form. :cool10:

just the manager?:confused07: what about the 20 people or so he was holding up while the manager was listening to his complain? :stirthepot::banana:

No purchase necessary, to me, indicates, I know it doesn't say, but indicates that I don't have to buy anything, but can just walk right in a get an entry. Really, I think you should have to buy something, but that is not the rules the government puts before these people, so this is the way around it, don't blame the merchant, blame the government and all the stupid rules they manage to come up with.

As far as advertizing is concerned today,,, the monkeys are getting smarter by the hour and say just enough or not enough to get us to buy, without making any wild promises. It's all in the grammar, often times it's not what is said, but what we think was said or what wasn'r said. Time will come when advertizing will become absolutely useless.

I was going to post something along these same lines. I wasn't sure but had read somewhere a long time ago that they HAVE to offer the "no purchase necessary" clause to conform to government regulations. Same thing in the USA. They obviously don't REALLY want to be giving things away but they HAVE to make such offers to comply. I agree it is stupid but that's the way it is.

I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut (sometimes unsuccessfully) when I see a customer screaming at some high school kid, working part time, minimum wage for just doing what they are told to do. ( NO I don't mean about the free cup ) Some people just tare into these kids and laugh as they walk away. Guess it makes some people feel superior somehow.

I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut (sometimes unsuccessfully) when I see a customer screaming at some high school kid, working part time, minimum wage for just doing what they are told to do. ( NO I don't mean about the free cup ) Some people just tare into these kids and laugh as they walk away. Guess it makes some people feel superior somehow.

I do too ... when it's obviously unwarranted.

btw, these people I referred to weren't high school kids and I wasn't being obtrusive. In fact, I wasn't raising my voice in any way ... however, I obviously was holding up those waiting while the clerk went into the back to rustle up a manager.

Quite simply, I was asking for what I expected I should get and wasn't satisfied with a simple NO answer. That is everyone's right.

Good point Andy but frankly, I just have a hard time putting up with stoooopid people who can barely speak engrish, have no brain of their own, move slower than molasses in January, and are nothing more than disfunctional robots.

btw, both my daughters worked at McDonalds for a few years and even they can't understand some of these people's stupidity.

:witch_brew: :witch_brew:

(it's my thread and I'll vent if I want to... la de da...) LOL

Oh...at first I thought you were talking about our politicians, but then you mentioned McDonald's. Yes, you are right! There are times when the lump in front of you seems to have an I.Q. just barely into whole numbers. Then I have been , uh, er, kind of, well ... testy?

But...some customers are really asking for it. When I worked in bank back in the early 70's, I had a customer come in screaming (Literally) bloody murder because we had bounced a cheque. When I finally calmed him down enough to get him to talk to me, I explained that he had no funds in his account. He said that it was impossible and he must still have funds in that account. This was back in the days of ledger cards, so I grabbed his and showed it to him and asked him if he saw any transactions that he didn't recognize. He studied it and said that everything seemed to be in order but that he still must have funds there somewhere. I asked him how he could figure that since he had seen his ledger card right before him. His answer was a classic...I'd once heard it as a joke but never imagined that I'd hear it for real! He said...and I quote " I must have more money...I still have some (blank) cheques left!". I nearly choked trying to stifle the laughter. My manager was in his office doubled over with both hands over his mouth and shaking from the suppressed laughter. I couldn't get mad at the guy...the situation was too insane (This guy was, shall we say, a bit slow!)

So, as you know, the crazies are everywhere...just take a deep breath and go for a ride...but watch out for those same crazies!

Andy

I was going to post something along these same lines. I wasn't sure but had read somewhere a long time ago that they HAVE to offer the "no purchase necessary" clause to conform to government regulations. Same thing in the USA. They obviously don't REALLY want to be giving things away but they HAVE to make such offers to comply. I agree it is stupid but that's the way it is.

I'm sure you're right Don.

THorton's has had this "Roll up the rim" thing every year for several years now... this is the first time I've seen the "No purchase necessary" advertising. There is a lot of competition in this market, especially with McDonalds pushing their coffee. All last week McD's has had $1.00 off any size coffee. Several times over the past year they have run for a week long "free coffee" campaign at select outlets... that just so happen to be adjacent to Tim Hortons, surprise, surprise!

and guess what... you didn't have to write in to McDonalds for the free coffee either LOL

I do know a fellow that his "hobby" if you will is taking part in those no purchae nessisary things and he and his wife enter all these contests,,, he has won a car, money, boats, trips and all kinds of junk that he as often as not just sells off. It is his hobby and it only costs him the time and a postage stamp.

I do know a fellow that his "hobby" if you will is taking part in those no purchae nessisary things and he and his wife enter all these contests,,, he has won a car, money, boats, trips and all kinds of junk that he as often as not just sells off. It is his hobby and it only costs him the time and a postage stamp.

I think I should take up a new hobby... :thumbsup2:

I will take oldgoat's example. What I don't get is if they refund you money after bringing this up then that is completely on them (putting it politely). The boards clearly indicate the price for medium and large items. If I was a manager/trainer whatever I would stand my ground. Price for medium is on the board and you asked for a large so I am charging you a large. I don't think they need to state you can get xyz size for an additional charge.

This might be one reason why McD's has gone to $1 for their drink sizes. If you notice on your receipt if you get a small meal and ask for the medium or large drink they will remove the cost of the small drink (even though technically it is supposed to be $1) and charge you a $1 seperately thus charging you more.

Maybe arrogance on my part but places like Mc'D's, Carl's Jr., etc... They could care less who you are. You leave and never come back makes no difference to them. They know there are 50 people to take your place.

places like Mc'D's, Carl's Jr., etc... They could care less who you are. You leave and never come back makes no difference to them. They know there are 50 people to take your place.

And that's a big problem IMO with such mega-corporations and why customer service has taken a side-line to the bottom line. They simply don't give a chit if you, the odd whiner, doesn't come back. Many of the Tim Horton's around here have lineups most of the day. They push the odds and crunch the numbers and push as many people thru as they can with the fewest of staff that they can possibly do it with for the lowest pay they can get away with. It's nothing but a numbers game for them.

They open a new store and they have staff stumbling over you to serve you and within a few months, they are no different than the next store that has been going for a while... lineups, poor service, marginally cleaned establishment, filthy washrooms ... yet volumes of business ... and there ain't a lot we can do about it.

In this one small, inside mall downtown Vancouver that Nina & I pass through on our way to work every morning, there are two Tim Hortons outlets... one at each end of the mall. The second one just opened a few months ago. Every morning both of these places have lineups. The main one has 3 lines and they are generally 5 to 10 deep in each line. The same mall has a McDonalds and a Starbucks, not to mention a fair sized food court to serve the various businesses in the area. Adjacent to the mall is another Starbucks. Across the street is another Starbucks. At the end of that block is another coffee shop similar to Starbucks. Across the other street is another mall full of food establishments and coffee outlets. It's crazy! I need to get outta here LOL! Maybe I'm drinking too much coffee!! Maybe I needed to vent a lot more than I thought I did... :whistling:

And the little "mom and pop" places struggle and die ... it's the way of the future... no, heck, it's how it is now.

:doh:

I agree 100%. I could be wrong but seemed to have started with self service gas stations. They took the personalization out of it and hasn't stopped. Unless you are the business, no matter where you work, that's the aim of the game. low overhead, high profits.

Long time ago when they built the Walmart in the city I grew up in my dad refused to go there. He liked the smaller Kmart better. Well after a while Kmart closed so he had only one choice after that.