IGNORED

Allow me to vent if you will

SilvrT

I hate advertising!

Tim Horton's "Rrrrollup the Rim to win" campaign is on. Huge sign in the store with a rollup cup and writing below that.

Very first sentence is.... "No purchase necessary." (see the pic below).

So, I go over to the counter and ask for a rollup cup. "what size coffee you like sir?" ... no, I said, I don't want coffee ... I just want the cup. "oh no sir, you have to buy a coffee" ... course, I say "but your ad says no purchase necessary" ... "no sir, you have to purchase" ... get me a manager! ... out comes the manager "no sir, you have to purchase a coffee .... please call head office... they will explain ... blah blah"

Ok, so I walk away (after causing a mini-scene with 20 customers lined up behind me).

I go online and open their rules ... sure enough, you can get a rollup cup without making a purchase .....

2. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO PLAY: In Canada, obtain a FREE Tim Hortons contest cup and/or a copy of

the official rules, by writing to: Tim Hortons Contest Cup, P.O. Box 9162 Saint John, N.B. E2L 4Y2. In U.S.A., to

receive a FREE contest cup and/or a copy of the official rules write to: Tim Hortons Contest Cup, P.O. Box 1315

Calais, ME 04619-6315.

ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

The display ad (pic below) could have been a bit more informative and would have saved everyone a lot of wasted time and energy. I wonder how many other people have done what I just did... (or am I the only a-hole?) I also think the manager could have explained a bit better.

[ATTACH]64651[/ATTACH]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cause trouble at most of the fast food joints around here when ordering a combo meal. I ask for a combo by number and they respond with 'medium or large?'. Now the fun starts. I ask what comes with the combo for the price on the sign and they say 'small'. So I ask if they plan on giving me the medium or large at the same price, as implied by their question. Of course the answer is 'no'.

To me this is a classic bait and switch tactic. They should clearly ask if I want to 'make it a medium or a large for an additional charge'.

I cause trouble at most of the fast food joints around here when ordering a combo meal. I ask for a combo by number and they respond with 'medium or large?'. Now the fun starts. I ask what comes with the combo for the price on the sign and they say 'small'. So I ask if they plan on giving me the medium or large at the same price, as implied by their question. Of course the answer is 'no'.

To me this is a classic bait and switch tactic. They should clearly ask if I want to 'make it a medium or a large for an additional charge'.

I think that's common practice Gary. A couple of weeks ago I dropped into a Carl Jr's to pick up two Big Carl Combos, for the wife and I, that were on sale for $5 ea. The guy asked me what size and I said the regular. When I got to the window they had 12 something due. I started thinking 5+5+tax should only come to $10.80. So I asked them what they charged and they replied to what mediums went for .... I told them I ordered the one on the sign in the window. So they rebilled me for the $10.80.... and I got the mediums... So it pays to stall a bit.... :)

i got by with this one once.

i went into burger king and orderd a combo meal

the girl behind the counter said what size drink would you like with that?

i said what is the largest pop can i get with this combo? she said why large of course.

i said ok give me the large.

she then charged me more for the combo.

i looked at her trainer. this was her first day on the job i think?

and i said she clearly said i could have a large pop with this combo. he refunded the small amount.

after all the ice in it im sure i got a medium any ways LOL

but i won my case LOL

I hate advertising!

Tim Horton's "Rrrrollup the Rim to win" campaign is on. Huge sign in the store with a rollup cup and writing below that.

Very first sentence is.... "No purchase necessary." (see the pic below).

2. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO PLAY: In Canada, obtain a FREE Tim Hortons contest cup and/or a copy of

the official rules, by writing to: Tim Hortons Contest Cup, P.O. Box 9162 Saint John, N.B. E2L 4Y2. In U.S.A., to

receive a FREE contest cup and/or a copy of the official rules write to: Tim Hortons Contest Cup, P.O. Box 1315

Calais, ME 04619-6315.

[ATTACH]64651[/ATTACH]

Label it as a Rip OFF and put it on YouTube. They will see it and know it can kill their million dollar marketing campaign. Bet you'll get their attention :happy65:

I think that's common practice Gary. A couple of weeks ago I dropped into a Carl Jr's to pick up two Big Carl Combos, for the wife and I, that were on sale for $5 ea. The guy asked me what size and I said the regular. When I got to the window they had 12 something due. I started thinking 5+5+tax should only come to $10.80. So I asked them what they charged and they replied to what mediums went for .... I told them I ordered the one on the sign in the window. So they rebilled me for the $10.80.... and I got the mediums... So it pays to stall a bit.... :)

I've had the same fun you guys have had. I wait until I get to the window and tell them the amount is wrong and make them fix it. If they want me to pay more for something, ask me! Don't use a bait and switch tactic!!

I don't even go to Arctic Circle any more because of it and I let their home office know it.

Dave

Ok here goes.Im on the other side of the fence.I go to the Chipotle.mexican grill and'n order 2 bundle of joy burritos. These things are 5lbs each and can feed a family of 6 in Kenya.

When you get to the last items on thier line you can ask for Guacamole and Sour Cream.Which I always do.When you ask them for this green gold, they inform you that it will be extra and if I still want it,all the while they have the scoop floating over your burrito.

Yes yes yes I know it will be extra!!.Im a fat ass ordering way more food than I need, must you announce it to the whole establishment?

I have gotten into the habit of when I place an order at a fast food place I just automatically end with "and that's all".

Most places will not try to upsell at that point, the ones that do will get to hear the standard "And what part of 'that's all' are you to stupid to under stand?"

Yes I am old and getting cranky.:confused24:

No one seems to police advertisements anymore. Companies cross the line all the time with advertising. The auto insurance commercials are some of the worst. Everyone that switches to catchem and skinnum insurance company saves $500 or with gottago it's 15%. I call these companies all the time and they are usually double what I am paying. One day I was watching a commerical and I caught what they are saying. The customer that "switches" to them saves $500. I got an advertisement last week from the american kennel club stating I could get a special discount with the Hartford insurance company for being a member of the club. This was an exclusive discount only for me. I called the toll free number to save $500 and got a quote of $979 per year. I am currently paying $648 per year for the same coverage without a special for me only discount. I told the rep what I was paying and he said wow you have a good rate for Georiga. He then said if he quoted my home I probably could save money with the special multi policy discount. I said ok and gave him the info. He quoted $1,059 per year and said hows that. I said not too good since I'm paying $624 per year. I wonder how many people believe those ads and buy without checking around.

and then thser's those ads that blast ya with "UP TO ...." or "AS LOW AS ..."

yeahsurright and I just got off the cabbage truck too!

I used to sell cars (many years ago) and "UP TO" was the fav catch phrase.... ME: "what difference are you thinking of sir?" .... HIM: "ohhh 5 grand" ... ME: "Up to...?" LOL

We stopped at a Sonic at the end of a club ride (like usual).

Their promo was Happy Hour,,, buy one drink get one free.

It was cold I ordered two coffees.... DID YOU KNOW THAT COFFEE IS NOT A DRINK??

Full price each. We went around on that one,,, I asked if coffee is not a drink what the *#$% is it,,, a sandwich? No one with enough authority to fix it.

I was going to punch out the manager but she was wearing rollerskates! (kidding)

Even sent a complaint to Sonic and the owner,,,, nada.

Do we still go to SONIC???? well, yeah,, duh, we're bikers.

(I think what is a drink is up to the local owner. One across town was cool on coffee.)

Well, since no one has said it yet, I guess I will. Especially since I've spent a large part of my working life dealing with the general public. Please remember ... most of the people working in these fast food places (and a lot of others) are working for minimum wage and rarely (if ever) any tips. They can't do anything about the corporate office's advertising nor can the manager. Sometimes the owners can but even they usually have their hands tied by the corporate guys. It's bad enough to have to work behind the counter without us grumpy, old farts coming in and wailing away on them over something that is not their fault and over which they have no control. That said, occasionally some policies or ads are really out of line and I will politely ask to speak to the manager about it. I usually preface my remarks by saying I understand that it isn't his/her doing, but he/she really needs to mention this farther up the ladder as it is likely to hurt the bottom line in the long run (Potential loss of revenue is always an attention getter for these companies!).

Yeah, I know it can be tough sometimes, but if you ever had to spend a shift with these people and see what they often have to put up with in a day, you would think twice about jumping on their heads over some of these items. Both my daughters worked these types of job while in school. Every now and then I had to suppress the urge to drop by their place of employment when one of their "regulars" was around (Oh yeah...some go every day and complain every day!) and have a friendly chat with them. I would even have called the ambulance for them afterwards (I am such a nice guy.)

Sorry this was so long...I'll shut up and go back to reading posts now!

Andy

Well, since no one has said it yet, I guess I will. Especially since I've spent a large part of my working life dealing with the general public. Please remember ... most of the people working in these fast food places (and a lot of others) are working for minimum wage and rarely (if ever) any tips. They can't do anything about the corporate office's advertising nor can the manager. Sometimes the owners can but even they usually have their hands tied by the corporate guys. It's bad enough to have to work behind the counter without us grumpy, old farts coming in and wailing away on them over something that is not their fault and over which they have no control. That said, occasionally some policies or ads are really out of line and I will politely ask to speak to the manager about it. I usually preface my remarks by saying I understand that it isn't his/her doing, but he/she really needs to mention this farther up the ladder as it is likely to hurt the bottom line in the long run (Potential loss of revenue is always an attention getter for these companies!).

Yeah, I know it can be tough sometimes, but if you ever had to spend a shift with these people and see what they often have to put up with in a day, you would think twice about jumping on their heads over some of these items. Both my daughters worked these types of job while in school. Every now and then I had to suppress the urge to drop by their place of employment when one of their "regulars" was around (Oh yeah...some go every day and complain every day!) and have a friendly chat with them. I would even have called the ambulance for them afterwards (I am such a nice guy.)

Sorry this was so long...I'll shut up and go back to reading posts now!

Andy

Good point Andy but frankly, I just have a hard time putting up with stoooopid people who can barely speak engrish, have no brain of their own, move slower than molasses in January, and are nothing more than disfunctional robots.

btw, both my daughters worked at McDonalds for a few years and even they can't understand some of these people's stupidity.

:witch_brew: :witch_brew:

(it's my thread and I'll vent if I want to... la de da...) LOL

Calais, ME 04619-6315.

In Canada, obtain a FREE Tim Hortons contest cup and/or a copy of

the official rules, by writing to: Tim Hortons Contest Cup, P.O. Box 9162 Saint John, N.B. E2L 4Y2

In U.S.A., to

Calais, ME 04619-6315.

Nowhere in these rules does it say the store has to give you a free cup.If you read the rules it clearly states you have to write to the address in your country and you will recieve your free cup in the mail.If you do not wish to purchase you must mail in for your free cup if you wish to play.Therefore the no purchase necessary advertising is not false .IMHO you owe the manager an apology but that's just my opinion.I am not connected with Tim Hortons or their advertising in any way shape or form. :cool10:

Calais, ME 04619-6315.

In Canada, obtain a FREE Tim Hortons contest cup and/or a copy of

the official rules, by writing to: Tim Hortons Contest Cup, P.O. Box 9162 Saint John, N.B. E2L 4Y2

In U.S.A., to

Calais, ME 04619-6315.

Nowhere in these rules does it say the store has to give you a free cup.If you read the rules it clearly states you have to write to the address in your country and you will recieve your free cup in the mail.If you do not wish to purchase you must mail in for your free cup if you wish to play.Therefore the no purchase necessary advertising is not false .IMHO you owe the manager an apology but that's just my opinion.I am not connected with Tim Hortons or their advertising in any way shape or form. :cool10:

:sign I dont agree:

Not once did I say the advertising was false. I did say "I hate advertising" ... I did say "it could have been a bit more informative" ... I did say "the manager could have explained a bit better".

No, I do not owe the clerk or the manager an apology ... what do you think I should apologize for? ... for asking for a free cup? Perhaps you've read more into my post than is actually there.

You have a right to your opinion ... but that's all it is ... an opinion. It's not one I will deem worthy but thanks for voicing it anyway :clap2:.