IGNORED

Helmet Visor Scratches

DarkLeftArm

I have some minor scratches on my helmet visor that I'd like to try to polish out. Does anybody know what might work? I'd like to try before I buy a replacement, so I wanna keep it cheap. Seems I remember hearing somebody say they used toothpaste on hard plastic, but I'm a little afraid it would be too abrasive and leave it scratched worse.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Bert

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=htsf&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS464US464&q=Novus-Polish-Plastic-Scratch-Remover#q=Novus-Polish-Plastic-Scratch-Remover&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS464US464&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=J01IT8GcL6bL0QHH5amDDg&ved=0CF8QrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=6c6e7fb7f34f0e80&biw=1120&bih=523]Novus-Polish-Plastic-Scratch-Remover - Google Search[/ame]

This stuff works good and comes in various grades

Larry

PS: sorry for the long link

I've used PlasticX on the plastic cassette cover on my 89 & 91 VR and it takes out all the tiny scratch lines. For some deeper scratches one has to work on them longer.

I've never tried it on the helmet visor. What ever you buy try it on your 85 VR Cassette cover, if you still have your VR that is on your profile.

Man, I don't know what kind of helmet you have, but I wish I had one. A new visor for my Scorpion EXO1000 runs $54 plus shipping. I guess I'll try toothpaste before I start shopping for plastic polish. HA!

There's a ton of them on Ebay for around $20 bucks.

Do a google search for

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think there is anything that will work. I have the AGV helmet that looks like a helicopter pilot helmet and you just can't keep it from getting scratched. I'm on my third visor at $39.00 each. I've tried toothpaste, Novus 1,2 and 3 and no luck. I noticed that on most visors they say "scratch resistant", but that isn't true. If you find something that will work, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Bert,

I have a bottle of Novus scratch remover you can try. I am out of town until late tomorrow then leaving again early Thursday till the 12th. IF.. I remember, I will throw it in my 89. I am loaning it to a friend and I'll have him get it to you.

Honestly ...

Almost nothing will work effectively.

You can polish out the scratches, similar to restoring headlight covers, but you can't get rid of the microscopic "swirls".

First time a car headlight hits your visor you will regret not replacing it.

Honestly ...

Almost nothing will work effectively.

You can polish out the scratches, similar to restoring headlight covers, but you can't get rid of the microscopic "swirls".

First time a car headlight hits your visor you will regret not replacing it.

I think if a car headlight hits your visor, you probably won't care about the swirls or

the scratches in your visor, you'll be lucky to be alive. LOL :rotf:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm not having the greatest day, and thinking about that

made me laugh a little.

I think if a car headlight hits your visor, you probably won't care about the swirls or

the scratches in your visor, you'll be lucky to be alive. LOL :rotf:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm not having the greatest day, and thinking about that

made me laugh a little.

It was funny :)

If I try to be too precise, I get accused of being "preachy" :D