IGNORED

hairline crack fix ??

wfdyer1

Could use a picture, but in the meantime, take the carb off, clean out the crack with a Dremmel tool, drill a very small hole at the end of the crack and seal it back up with JP Weld. The small hole will stop the crack from going any further, JP Weld will not. That's if the crack has nothing to do with any internal components. If you have to deal with internal components, you're in for another carb, I would think.

Could use a picture, but in the meantime, take the carb off, clean out the crack with a Dremmel tool, drill a very small hole at the end of the crack and seal it back up with JP Weld. The small hole will stop the crack from going any further, JP Weld will not. That's if the crack has nothing to do with any internal components. If you have to deal with internal components, you're in for another carb, I would think.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Yup JB should work. There use to be some other stuff called liquid steel and also liquid alum. Both will do the samething as the JB. Drilling the end of the crack should elminate the crack progressing. Of course clean it all off good. You might want to take the dremel and run the cutter blad thing along the crack and then some sanding to ruff it up so the JB gets a better grip. But probably not required.

You also need to factor in "the law of diminishing returns".

Remove-Repair-Replace is great, until the repair fails and you have to remove them all again ... and it failed in the middle of Nevada, at 2am ... in the rain.

The suggestions are great, and may indeed work permanently, but first get a price for a decent second hand carb body.

Remove-Repair-Replace is great, until the repair fails and you have to remove them all again ... and it failed in the middle of Nevada, at 2am ... in the rain.

The suggestions are great, and may indeed work permanently, but first get a price for a decent second hand carb body.

Nice thing about our bikes is that often times we don't even know that they are running on 3 cylinders, so if it does go again, you can still get home!

Any ideas on where to find a used carb body??

Ebay or a motorcycle dismantler would be favourites. Yes, you can ride them quite comfortably on three cylinders. Often the only visible signs are a slight reduction in power and a large increase in gas consumption.

You might not want to ride it too far with gas leaking around the hot bits.

just sayin'

• 1 month later...

What this guy said for sure. Years ago when I had my garage, I would tell my customers similar when they wanted something done on the cheap or wanted to use a junkyard part. I think it was "Ya can pay me now, or ya can pay me later".

The right thing to do is to replace the cracked body. The best way to "fix" it would be to take it to someone who can weld it up for ya. It really won't cost that much. I would also be asking myself why it cracked in the first place. Like someone else here had already mentioned.

JMTCW,

Bill