IGNORED

Yea.. I know..I was warned..

KIC

So I have a question for those who have installed new seals in their front forks.

Have you ever found non-OEM seals to be too thick after installation ? :detective:

I installed a set of Pyramid seals that came with the bike and I can not get the lock clip in. They appear to be all the way down. The bushing was tapped all the way down but the thickness of all 3 pieces on both sides appears to be 20/1000's too thick.

Gonna have to take it all apart to measure, but just wondering if anybody ever found that to be an issue. :confused24:

Yea...I know some of you told me not to use after market seals... just seemed like an easy way to save $40.00. :crying:

Yea...I know some of you told me not to use after market seals... just seemed like an easy way to save $40.00.

Saying you saved $40 may make you feel better, but...

Even list price on OEM seals is $26.72 x 2 = $53.44

or

Discounted price on OEM seals is $18.16 x 2 = $36.32

Those must have been some cheap seals to have saved $40

:mo money:

Don't worry, as many times as you have had these in and out already, you may get to put another set in soon, one little nick. (couldn't help myself with this one)

Gary

Saying you saved $40 may make you feel better, but...

Even list price on OEM seals is $26.72 x 2 = $53.44

or

Discounted price on OEM seals is $18.16 x 2 = $36.32

Those must have been some cheap seals to have saved $40

:mo money:

Don't worry, as many times as you have had these in and out already, you may get to put another set in soon, one little nick. (couldn't help myself with this one)

Gary

I thought I "saved" the $40.00 by having the seals come with the bike. I never priced the exact cost of new seals but thought somewhere I had read they were around $40.00. Just figured that since I had them, the $40.00 +/- could be used elsewhere on the bike.

SO...where is the discounted OEM seals best purchased from since I presume I will need them now...?

I thought I "saved" the $40.00 by having the seals come with the bike. I never priced the exact cost of new seals but thought somewhere I had read they were around $40.00. Just figured that since I had them, the $40.00 +/- could be used elsewhere on the bike.

SO...where is the discounted OEM seals best purchased from since I presume I will need them now...?

Well if you got them for free then you saved the $40, and gained some fork knowledge !!

That's partshark.com pricing.

But there are a number of places that sell oem stuff discounted.

Every part I have got from partshark has been in oem packaging.

Minimum shipping is about $10 though with them, there may be better options.

Gary

Had the same problem with mine. When placed side by side, the pyramid was about 1/16" taller, which was enough to make the difference. I fought with it for a couple of hours before I gave up and got oem seals, which gave me no such problem.

I can't believe that they keep selling these seals that don't fit.

Get the right ones and it'll go right together.

Ya live and ya learn.:080402gudl_prv:

I sell the Genuine Yamaha Fork Seals for $40.00 for the pair, and $8.00 to ship USPS Insured, Priority Mail. I have them in stock. And Yes, I discovered early on that most of the aftermarket seals cause more problems than the few bucks you save on the cost.

I am extending this seal offer to ALL VR.ORG members.:thumbsup2:

Earl

So does anyone know who makes the OEM seals for Yamaha? They might be a decent purchase.

The perennial problem with fork seals is that they can easily get damaged on installation.

Mostly they don't because those delicate looking lips are a lot tougher than they look .... but a slight slip, grit in the wrong place, or plain bad luck can all make it a frustrating business.

Add to that the wrong size .....

I sell the Genuine Yamaha Fork Seals for $40.00 for the pair, and $8.00 to ship USPS Insured, Priority Mail. I have them in stock. And Yes, I discovered early on that most of the aftermarket seals cause more problems than the few bucks you save on the cost.

I am extending this seal offer to ALL VR.ORG members.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Okay..Okay you win ! :shock3:

Send me a set, heck it's been almost a week since I tore it apart again...I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms. PM sent...:happy65:

Just rubbing it in ??? A little salt in the wounds?? Boy.. and from another 1st Genner.... :no-no-no: :crying:

:rotf:

Yeah KIC, we all learn the hard way.

I'm guilty of trying to cheap out myself. One thing I learned is when these guys here say, "Get only these or buy only that"...it's gold.

These guys here definitely know their stuff! (I'm sure they learned the hard way too)

When you buy OEM you know it will work. There is a steep premium for that guarantee.

I sell K&L fork seals. When I'm sourcing a seal I always use K&L if they have one available for the application, I've never had a problem with one. They're a fraction of the price of OEM.

Occasionally someone will bring me All Balls seals to install. They are a nightmare to seat, and I don't think cheap either. I had a guy brought me a set last year that included the dust seals. I had to install the dust seals with a press to get them in, then they'd crawl out in about a half hour. We ended up chucking them and going OEM.

Of course any fork seal will fail if the tubes are bad or you damage it on install.