IGNORED

Someone good at lowering RSV front?

Mike G in SC

I'm not lazy, just don't want to cause myself "problems"!!

Is someone within a few hundred miles of Columbia, SC skilled in lowering the front of the RSV,, and would do my bike, for a fee (or donation to a favorite charity)?

I would like to get my 2009 RSV front lowered some (say 1") and would like a skilled person do the work. I live in Columbia SC and would travel a distance if you are skilled in doing this. (I had my RSTD done and,, I like it!)

The rear is already lowered 3/4" (half of the Barons kit). But I would prefer to get that back to stock height and drop the front (not do the small tire thing).

So, if this sounds like fun to you, let me know. PM me or post here, let me know.

Have bike, will travel.

Mike Griswold, Lugoff, SC 29078, just off I-20. mikeginsc@bellsouth.net 803-420-3388

Mike,

I really can't get to SC right now, but I would love that road trip right about now. Texas is more than a few hundred miles, but if you want to make the trek, I have a spare room, good food, and more than enough tools to do the job, Hell even Gunboat may come over with his sledgehammer to help out!

The offer is open if your game to it, or if I win the lottery, I'll make that roadtrip to SC :thumbsup2:

Mike, you must have read the posts of me doing mine. I dont know if you would consider me "skilled", but I did mine 3 times. If at first you dont suceed....... Got better each time. I to am more than a couple hundred miles. But there were a couple threads going around about adjusting valves and stuff up in the north Fl area around Jacksonville I think. Hopefully someone will have a chance to help you out.

Mike,

I really can't get to SC right now, but I would love that road trip right about now. Texas is more than a few hundred miles, but if you want to make the trek, I have a spare room, good food, and more than enough tools to do the job, Hell even Gunboat may come over with his sledgehammer to help out!

The offer is open if your game to it, or if I win the lottery, I'll make that roadtrip to SC :thumbsup2:

Mike, the last weekend in March is more than enough time to make the miles to Doodle's MD. I bet someone there can fix you right up!get the hammer Don!!! :shock3: Heck I got a place for ya to stop over on the way, then we'll ride over together.

Here's an automatic kit for lowering your motorcycle.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=11

The kit is enough for 1 car, 2 motorcycles, or 4 motorcycle front ends so you might be able to spread the cost around and save a few dollars.

FLB-78, Got one of those installed on my RSTD a couple of months ago, at 75mph.

But only the rear. In fact it lowered it enough to take out my oil pan when I went to trailer it! I also found out not to use the clumping kind of Kitty-Litter for oil.

Hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Just had it done TODAY,,,, lowered the front!

A week or two back I posted, looking form some one who knew what they were doing that could lower the FRONT of my RSV. I got a reply from Bill Little,,, Wild Bill (wildbill1) on this forum.

We just spent the day lowering the front. Bill knows his stuff.

He is a retired mechanic/engineer and lowered his Venture,, and did mine today.

He lives near Mooresville, NC (Lake Norman) and said he is available if you want it done.

His fee is very reasonable. Please email me (or PM) if you want to get this done.

I'll put you in contact.

He also said if you get the Baron's kit for the rear, he can do both front and rear,,, also for what I consider a good price.

Wow,,,, what a difference. I've had the bike for over a year and TODAY, it's mine.

Mike G in SC mikeginsc@bellsouth.net

Edited by Mike G in SC

• 2 weeks later...

That's been a couple of weeks now since Bill lowered my RSV.

I'm still going "WOW what a difference". Wife is real happy too as she can tell I'm not stressing or straining at stops.

At the Charlotte IMS they had a 2012 Venture. There was a fair amount of interest in lowering,,, done right.

I wanted to say THANKS again to Bill Little ("Wildbill1"-Mooresville, NC- on this forum) and let any short legged riders within a few hours of Charlotte area know that there is someone in the area that can do this for a fair price. We did it in a day.

Mike G in SC

Edited by Mike G in SC

Now that you have been riding awhile, how has it affected the handling, slow speed and fast? Are you scraping more then normal? Been thinking about doing this for awhile:think:

Craig

Craig,

Glad you asked,,,

I also had this done to my RSTD two years ago and it's funny how have I thought of it as the "little bike",,, because the handling is like it dropped 100 lbs.

On the RSV,,,

High speed: I believe I notice more stability on the interstate than before. I think the front down angle gives more down force to keep the front wheel more "solid".

Low speed: Yes better handling in corners, both at parking lot speed and also normal cornering.

At stop or stopping: There is the gain I needed, that was my goal. Two up with the wife on back is much less concern with feet down (or just the left foot,, better strength for balance). Wife, Carol, can also tell.

As for scraping,, lowering the front will raise the tail pipes,, so if you do scrape it will be just floorboard, not the immovable pipes. But, no I am not noticing more scraping,, without trying. Lowering the rear produces scraping.

I had already got the seat cut down,, that just gave me no padding in the seat,, did not give near the gain as finally lowering the front.

Like the other bike, it's like the RSV has lost 100 lbs.

I should note, I did lower just the back with a Baron's kit on my RSV for a while. Having only the rear lowered is NOT a good idea. It does actaully make the handling more difficult. If you are going to lower,,, do both or just front.

On the front,, some people use kits,, we did not. So, I can't speak on what the kit does.

Mike G

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect a months-old thread, but...

Do any of my fellow RSV riders out there know someone near Austin, TX that can lower a front end? I have an '01.

I'll probably use the Baron's kit to lower the back end by 1.5 inches and have the front lowered about the same.

I'd love to hear from people who have had it done, especially with respect to how it affects the bike's handling.

TIA! :322:

Rich

I lowered the front of mine 1 inch about 2 years ago and it was like I added power steering when I am in parking lots. I used someones instructions from this site just printed it out and went to work. I like it. :080402gudl_prv:

Do any of my fellow RSV riders out there know someone near Austin, TX that can lower a front end? I have an '01.

I'll probably use the Baron's kit to lower the back end by 1.5 inches and have the front lowered about the same.

I'd love to hear from people who have had it done, especially with respect to how it affects the bike's handling.

Rich

Rich,

If you lower the rear, you return the bike to the original geometry. This means you lose the better low speed handling that you gained by lowering JUST the front.

Also if you chose to lower the entire bike by 1-1/2" you will need to shorten or replace the kickstand with a shorter one.

Local dealer lowered my front end and I put a Baron kit on rear. Just got back Mon from a 1900 Mi trip atone north side of Lake Superior. Bike handled great and had no problem staging anything. Also have original kick stand with no problems so far.

Rich, Lengthy PM sent to you.

Squidley is in Cleveland TX above Houston. Read his reply to me earlier, perhaps he can help.

Lowering the back is easier but alone tends to give undesired effect. I would lower the front first then consider the back. As noted above my RSV is now lowered 1 1/2" front and 3/4" rear. LOVE IT.

Mike G in SC

Rich