IGNORED

Who just paid $87.75 for the chrome vents on Ebay?

rstacy

I remember Bongobob telling me that they were rare. I guess that was an understatement!

I thought about it but it wasn't worth it to me. Maybe because my bike already has the chrome vents and I was thinking that this might be good for a back up set.

Oddly enough two different sets showed up on Ebay at the same time. The other set was pretty banged up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230728628260?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

I've been watching those all week. Been pretty low and I was going to bid on them this morning before I left for work. They were up to $72.00 at 4:30 AM.

Oh well..... Too rich for my pocket.

They were going to need some repair work done anyway. Inside tabs were broken off.

Now back to looking for that chrome lower trim for the upper fairing.

Mike

Nope. Once upon a time there was a chrome trim piece that ran under the lower edge of the upper fairing. A "U" shape that ran around the sides and front like a mini air dam.

I've only seen three on eBay over the last few years and and the only one I could afford was rusted so bad it was sad.

I had a pic of around here somewhere of one. I'll see if I can find it.

Like chickens teeth I tell ya.

Mike

Snaggletooth,

I have an extra one of those fairing trim pieces that you are looking for. Chrome is good, but the PO drilled a couple small (1/8") holes in it (to mount lights maybe?). Also arrived slightly bent, but I straightened it and was going to mount it on my '83. (I already have one on my '90).

I'd like to give it to you as a "pay it forward" (Thanks, Earl). Times are tough here at my household, though, and I would appreciate it if you could pay the shipping costs.

And NO, I didn't even bid on those chrome vents.

Sorry 'bout hi-jacking your thread, Ray.

But, I noticed that the same bidder who paid $88 for the chrome scoops also bought the $25 chrome scoops from Pinwall and is also the same bidder who paid $52 for the Markland chrome "frame covers" for a First Gen.

Interesting. The cheaper set may be back up for sale. I have been known to buy two and sell one.

Is this what you want? This is a pic of one that sold on eBay a few weeks ago for $20.50. This is not a pic of the one I have, but it is identical to the one I am offering to you.

attachment.php?attachmentid=63436&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1326748124

I won this ebay for 20.50. I've never seen one before, except just looking for chrome for my VR. I think it I got it pretty cheap. Any idea what its value might be, not that I'm selling it. Its just fun to know how good of a deal I got it for.

I remember Bongobob telling me that they were rare. I guess that was an understatement!

I thought about it but it wasn't worth it to me. Maybe because my bike already has the chrome vents and I was thinking that this might be good for a back up set.

Oddly enough two different sets showed up on Ebay at the same time. The other set was pretty banged up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230728628260?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Gosh that's cheap.... I'd been searching, and found an NOS in the package on Ebay. I wanted it bad, so tossed a ridiculous $100 snipe at it.... and was out bid !! by a guy in Europe somewhere...

That said I wonder if a set of these could be scanned and 3D printed?? Being in metal doesn't help function all that much and chromed plastic would look just as nice. They're sacrificial and replacement would be a lot cheaper....

I would have paid $100 for NOS chrome vents but $78 for used with broken tabs and a scrape was a bit much for me.

This ring that Mike brought up is new to me. Other than Kevin's picture, I cant find one pic of a Venture that has one. Did everyone take them off or was it option?

the chrome lower piece was an accessory for the Venture in the Ventureline of chrome. My buddy has one on his 89 VR and I will try to post a picture of it once I locate one.

I have seen them listed in the old Ventureline catalogs but I guess not a lot of those were sold. The PO of his bike did a lot of accessorizing his bike from that catalog.

Rick F.

Plastic can absolutely be chromed. I sold capital equipment for many years that did just that. There are a number of chrome shops around the country that offer chrome plating on plastic. It first involves a chemical copper coating called electroless copper and then is pretty much the same process as plating metal. I had several customers that used this process to chrome plate plastic grills for the various automotive companies. A lot of people think that they were all chromed using metal deposition but most, at least as late as 10 years ago, were actually chrome plated.

The same general proocess is used for making circuit boards. All those conductive lines are plated onto a non-metallic board. It involves the same electroless copper process and then that is plated with tin or tin/lead and then copper or sometimes gold.