IGNORED

My 84 project - so far.

cabreco

I figured since many of you have been helping me with this bike, it's only fitting that I show you the progress so far.

When I bought her last month she was running strong. The major thing was cosmetics.

This is how I picked her up.

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6199

She needed some repairs but a lot of cleaning and plastic work.

One of the first things I did was buy a new seat. I found this one on EBay for $50. The original seat had a rip by the gas fill & was covered with stick junk. I've since read this is protectant breaking down & quite common.

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6200

I understand that when the original owner died & the bike sat for years. A major part of my work so far has been tearing her down & cleaning, scrubbing & polishing. When I took her apart, you could not imagine the amount of dirt I found.

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6202

The next thing I did was slap a trunk on her. When I bought my 81 Honda CB750, she came with K&G hard saddlebags & an aftermarket trunk. Since I pulled all the bags from the Honda, I decided to recycle the trunk.

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6204

This is how it sits right now. I'm going to start the plastic welding on the fairing and other ABS parts. I will make videos of the repairs & post them so that anyone else looking to try their hand at plastic welding has at least a heads up to what to expect.

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6205

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking VR.

The car kind of looks like a mid 60s Chrysler. What year and model is it?

Thanks!

The car is a 63 Mercury Meteor. I picked it up in 2005 from the original owner for $1,100. It only has 56K original miles. The owner told me he bought the car brand new Oct of 1962 when his son graduated college & moved out. It was hes empty nest gift to himself. He was 46 at the time...yep do the math, this guy was 89 when I bought it!

The 1st 4 pix are when I bought her. The last is how she sits today.

Eventually I will have to pick up a backrest, floorboards, maybe a heel toe shifter & bigger rear brake pedal & the lower bag bracket tow thing with lights like you have on yours.

Some things I can get from an mk2 but most are mk1 for direct bolt on!

So I've spent the last 2 days finishing the plastic soldering, compounding & waxing. I added the GPS & MP3 as wall.

This is what I started with when I bought her Christmas eve:

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6279

After 3 weeks solid (being retired & at home helps) and a lot of elbow grease, this is what it looks like now.

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6278

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6277

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6276

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6275

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=6274

The only thing left will be a complete paint job. I figure I will wait until next winter to do that. !st I want to make sure she "deserves" expense of a new look. :cool10:

• 2 weeks later...

Today I changed the oil but decided to run some Seafoam through the crankcase 1st.

I was told the oil was change back in August (but I trust no one).

The oil was a dark gold caramel color. I found that out during the midcase cover spill while doing the slave cylinder.

I warmed up the bike, dropped in 6 oz of seafoam & spent the next 5 minutes on the centerstand going thorough the gears.

I cannot adequately describe the black sludge that I drained out. Not to mention the condition of the filter! After I changed the oil I did notice that the bike runs cooler. (according to the gauge).

All in all Seafoam in the crankcase is a good idea...at least once!

Mix the rest of that can of Sea-Foam about 1/2 and 1/2 with fresh gas. Pull the line from rear of fuel pump and using a extra piece of line start bike and fill carbs with mix. Leave sit overnight.

Dan,

Good idea but not necessary.

The carbs on Bernice were rebuilt not to long ago and the carbs were synced

by Jeff (Muffinman) for the previous owner in August.

I have also run the last 2 tanks of gas with Seafoam in it for the hell of it.

If I haven't done so it other posts...

Thank you Muffinman, The Bike runs like a DREAM!

You definitely know how to sync a carb bank!

:thumbsup:

Hey Andy,

What a nice scoot you have there! I am sure you are very proud of her! That Muffinman knows his stuff! Perhaps we will be able to share some road this upcoming year. A trip to Don's Maint Day is surely in order with a bike this nice!

Great Job! :thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Andy,

What a nice scoot you have there! I am sure you are very proud of her! That Muffinman knows his stuff! Perhaps we will be able to share some road this upcoming year. A trip to Don's Maint Day is surely in order with a bike this nice!

Great Job! :thumbsup2:

Earl

Most definitely Earl, but I can't take all the credit for her. I've had A LOT of help from members of this forum. So I look at her as a group effort.

Took the wife today for a ride and she loved it. She couldn't believe the difference between this & the CB750 in ride & comfort.

She's actually looking forward to "Road Time"!

Where & when is Don's M/D?

Edited by cabreco

Howdy Andy,

"Bernice" is sure looking good. I've been watching/reading your progress. My 1985 was in a lot worse shape but I am getting it back slowly but surely. I paid scrap iron price for her @ 77.50 and so far I have about 300.00 in her. She is coming along good. I named mine "Brown Sugah." :rotf: Keep up the great work and I'll definitely be paying attention. I must say again that this is the best motorcycle website ever. At least to me. So many helpful people.

Ed :080402gudl_prv:

Today I changed the oil but decided to run some Seafoam through the crankcase 1st.

The oil was a dark gold caramel color. I found that out during the midcase cover spill while doing the slave cylinder.

I warmed up the bike, dropped in 6 oz of seafoam & spent the next 5 minutes on the centerstand going thorough the gears.

I cannot adequately describe the black sludge that I drained out. Not to mention the condition of the filter! After I changed the oil I did notice that the bike runs cooler. (according to the gauge).

Howdy Andy,

"Bernice" is sure looking good. I've been watching/reading your progress. My 1985 was in a lot worse shape but I am getting it back slowly but surely. I paid scrap iron price for her @ 77.50 and so far I have about 300.00 in her. She is coming along good. I named mine "Brown Sugah." :rotf: Keep up the great work and I'll definitely be paying attention. I must say again that this is the best motorcycle website ever. At least to me. So many helpful people.

Ed :080402gudl_prv:

Ed these guys on this forum are TOPS!

They bend over backwards to help at a moments notice! I'm really looking forward to

doing a face to face with them on some rides this summer!

Post up some pix of Brown Sugah, we'd love to see your progress.

Good Luck

http://www.oldshanghaionline.com/_all-images/home_and_entertaining/drinkware-lacquer_wine_holder/50/lq03-good_luck-50.jpg

Yeah, I sure need to post some pics. I just went out to the shop and fired her up. I'm gonna go take some pics right now. Be back later...........

Ed these guys on this forum are TOPS!

They bend over backwards to help at a moments notice! I'm really looking forward to

doing a face to face with them on some rides this summer!

Post up some pix of Brown Sugah, we'd love to see your progress.

Good Luck

http://www.oldshanghaionline.com/_all-images/home_and_entertaining/drinkware-lacquer_wine_holder/50/lq03-good_luck-50.jpg

I finally got some pics of "Brown Sugah." The last one is the clutch master cylinder being soaked with PB Blaster because the split ring won't budge right now.

[ATTACH]63694[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63695[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63696[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63697[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63698[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63699[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63700[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63701[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63702[/ATTACH]

That color is perfectly consistent with oil that has been changed then run a while.

Oil that is black, and sparse in quantity or has silvery streaks, or metal lumps .... That is what you need to worry about :)