IGNORED

My 84 project - so far.

cabreco

Yeah Brian,

It has been a lot of work so far. I rode it when I first got it. I didn't start taking her apart for about 2 weeks. I put about 100 miles on her right after I bought it. Then I started taking her apart little by little. Thanks for your info.

Ed

You have a lot of work there, but the good thing is your initial costs were low.

There are a lot of parts on Ebay, & people here are incredibly helpful.

One step at a time, you'll be up & riding in no time!

:fingers-crossed-emo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your story is similar to my '84 blonde! The original owner died and the wife couldn't bring herself to sell it for years. Finally did, the guy I bought it from got it running but his wife didn't like it so I ended up with it with only 8K on it!!!

I recognised that old Merc in the pictures! Those were some of my favorites!

Dad had a '64 Park Lane maroon with white interior. loved that car, especially the rear window that went down...

...especially the rear window that went down...

Ah yes, the "Breezeway" back window!

I actually have one on my Ford Sport Trac, they are great.

My 17 year old has his eye on my Merc. The Lead Sled...Kids today don't mind 4 doors.

He thinks it's a big car, in it's day it was only a midsize. He would be floored if he had ever had the chance to drive the 72 Eldorado I owned years ago. (8.2L front wheel drive LOL)

Personally, I want a 2 door. I will eventually replace it with a pre 73 Mustang.

Ah yes, the "Breezeway" back window!

I actually have one on my Ford Sport Trac, they are great.

My 17 year old has his eye on my Merc. The Lead Sled...Kids today don't mind 4 doors.

He thinks it's a big car, in it's day it was only a midsize. He would be floored if he had ever had the chance to drive the 72 Eldorado I owned years ago. (8.2L front wheel drive LOL)

Personally, I want a 2 door. I will eventually replace it with a pre 73 Mustang.

Did you know that with the 76 Eldorado with the 500 cube engine and front wheel drive you could pull the rear wheels off the ground in reverse??? Won a lot of beer money with that thing. Turn it around and drive it frontwards and the guys with what they thought were Hot Rods couldn't believe what that old sled would do. Til they got a good view of the back bumper!!

Did you know that with the 76 Eldorado with the 500 cube engine and front wheel drive you could pull the rear wheels off the ground in reverse??? Won a lot of beer money with that thing. Turn it around and drive it frontwards and the guys with what they thought were Hot Rods couldn't believe what that old sled would do. Til they got a good view of the back bumper!!

Those old Caddys had power. My Eldo wound up being a power train donor car for a Sterling Kit car I built. Just under 2000 Lbs curb weight with an 8.2L. This thing would put Corvettes to shame!

• 4 weeks later...

Made a few changes by adding parts from the donor bike.

A new backrest for me (cuz I'm old)

420333_193473334088024_100002760753137_241507_455083561_n.jpg

I also swapped out the trunk to the OEM one with a luggage rack. Aside from being much bigger & creating a nice wraparound backrest for my wife, she likes this trunk because it's removable like the saddlebags so the act as luggage on trips!

431357_193473360754688_100002760753137_241508_1239176860_n.jpg

I still have so much chrome bling to transfer over (and of course wiring running lights).

Tomorrow rear chrome fender & lights. I took off the throttle wire joint from the parts bike. Now I have to tear down the left side fairing on Bernice!

I put in another 6 hours non stop today. Put on the rear light bar, the chrome slave & master side covers, different highway pegs, the front fender rails and the air dam. I have been cutting off connectors from the donor bike so that all this bling can come off without cutting wires. She's gonna light up like a Christmas tree!

425853_3377834610502_1408472149_3286756_1946187875_n.jpg

425258_3377835010512_1408472149_3286757_612552611_n.jpg

This all seems so oddly familier somehow........:scratchchin:

It appears to be a common affliction

This is the purchase day pix vs today.

attachment.php?attachmentid=64374&stc=1&d=1329870069

Very little left to do (right!) Dye the backrests, wire the running lights & oh yeah...Fix the GD throttle I broke

Dang! You even have the chrome chin on there. Cool. Lookin' good.

:clap2:

Mike,

The parts bike I bought had bling up the wazzu! I even had the chrome cover plates over the rear master cyl & slave cyl plus 2 stainless ball studs that mount on the brake & clutch handles for GPS & camera.

I did leave the tow package off though. Right now I don't have a trailer so I figure why carry the extra weight.

I do have to make block off plates for the side covers to keep the heat off my legs. It's great in the chill but in the summe it will be brutal!

I'm going to make them out of 1/4 ABS & insulate underneath.

Edited by cabreco

I have Markland hitch for mine still hanging in my shop. Like you .. no wagon to pull yet either. My neighbor asked me about it one day and I told him it was a HD towing package. Being a HUGE American Iron Guy he was all grins a giggles thinking that I was going to install a HD part my bike until I explained it was NOT a HD part, it was for towing them.

He don't talk to me much any more. He can call me if he needs me. I have a strap. :stirthepot:

It's raining today...not much to do so I decided to take care of an "inconvenience".

The engine on this bike is a lef burner. Oh sure it's nice & toasty if you ride in the winter but I'm sure in summer no hair will grow on my legs.

Since it seems to be virtually impossible to fine covers for the MKI I decided to fabricate my own. I used 1/4" ABS and plastic welded to openings.

attachment.php?attachmentid=64658&d=1330550320

attachment.php?attachmentid=64659&d=1330550320

Edited by cabreco

Thanks Andy.

I am going to have to do something similar.

Both of my side vents are gone and it gets warm and uncomfortable in the summer.

I like it during the colder days so what ever I do, it will have to be removable.

Thanks Andy.

I am going to have to do something similar.

Both of my side vents are gone and it gets warm and uncomfortable in the summer.

I like it during the colder days so what ever I do, it will have to be removable.

Remember the side covers have a slight curve to them so if you are going to make them removable you would have to make them big enough to go under the black fiined part. 2 screws there should hold the opposite side. Also, since yours would be removable & be attached over the hole opposed to inside the hole, I would use no thicker that 1/8 material nso it can be flexable.

Tools needed a band saw or a dremel with a cutoff wheel & a bench grinder to fine tine the shape.

Good Luck!

I have one similar to yours, as well as a few of the others here. As you know, this site is INVALUABLE for tech info and great suggestions. One of the best ones I did to mine was upgrade the electrical system.....4 gauge battery cables, AGM battery, VMax 4 brush starter. I have had ZERO starter drag since doing those mods. Also added a "battery bug" to monitor it and the output has been pretty steady around 14v.

Edited by KenP
Battery cable gauge correction

I have one similar to yours, as well as a few of the others here. As you know, this site is INVALUABLE for tech info and great suggestions. One of the best ones I did to mine was upgrade the electrical system.....8 gauge battery cables, AGM battery, VMax 4 brush starter. I have had ZERO starter drag since doing those mods. Also added a "battery bug" to monitor it and the output has been pretty steady around 14v.

Ken, this sight has been the best $12 I have EVER spent!

The 2nd Gen starter will be next winter's project but I was going with 4 gauge wire. I will also install front progressives.

To monitor my charging system I use a real simple tool. It just plugs into the accessory port. It monitors battery condition & charging system. Picked it up at Walmart.

Here'a a pix of it attached to my CB750

Edited by cabreco