IGNORED

Don't waste your time if you don't like trivia...

DANGEROUSDANA

Someone actually spent a lot of time to figure out (and chart/map) what common slang term for carbonated beverages is used, by locale, in the US. What do you call them in your area? (There is no chart/map for the Canada.) I know there are many Canadians on this site; What terms do you guys use?

What other names can you think of? Pop, Soda, Suds, (I think suds is slang for beer).

http://i.imgur.com/rlwJ2.gif

I drink Walmart brand caffeine free diet cola, but I ask my wife to "Please bring me a "coke"."

As I ride around the country, I want to "speak the language" of the locals.

It always amazes me when I'm in a restaurant and ask for a diet coke and they tell me, "We have Pepsi; Is that okay?"... I wonder how many people actually say "Oh, no. I don't like Pepsi". I'm not saying they don't taste a little bit different from each other, but seriously....

Bonus question...Who sells more Coke than The Coca Cola company?

Ok, heres one....

Whats a Bubbler???????

A water fountain.

I always ask for Pepsi products and growing up in South West Va, it was either Pop or Pepsi never heard anyone ask for a Coke as a generic comment till I joined the Navy. If I ask for a Pepsi and the waitress ask if Coke will do I say no and if they pushback any they get to hear a lecture from me. Yes I am mean, old and stuborn.

In parts of the northeast,when I was a kid the generic term for carbonated soft drinks was Soda. I learned a long time ago, when in the midwest to never ask what flavor soda do you have... The answer will always be the same. We have one, seltser water.

I think around here(my part of Western Canada) the term used is soft drink, Or pop.

BTW Joe, I always ask for a diet coke and when they say they have Pepsi I change my order and Ive seen quite a few waitresses roll their eyes, but oh well. I guess youre not the only one gettin old and cranky...:backinmyday:

Brian

PS the weirdest term I have heard of is for chocolate milk around here. Lots of people call it Vico, the big dairy here (Co-op Creameries) had about 90% of the milk market at one time and their chocolate milk was called Vi-Co so it stuck. The first time I heard Vico I shook my head.

A water fountain.

I always ask for Pepsi products and growing up in South West Va, it was either Pop or Pepsi never heard anyone ask for a Coke as a generic comment till I joined the Navy. If I ask for a Pepsi and the waitress ask if Coke will do I say no and if they pushback any they get to hear a lecture from me. Yes I am mean, old and stuborn.

Never knew a Navy Chief that wasn't old, mean and stuborn.:stickpoke:

I have never understood why catering establishments do not carry both Coke AND Pepsi. It's always one or the other. To me, they are different drinks. Sometimes I want a Coke, sometimes a Pepsi.

(Cuba Libre MUST be Coke... Pepsi does not cut it. On its own, I prefer Pepsi.)

Raised in the South. It's Coke and Kryspy Kremes and Sweetea.

My wife is from up North, when she would ask for Pop, I would tell her "bless his heart, he passed".

Coke here can be Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, and maybe even Sprite.

When we go towards Kalamazoo to see her friends, you can tell when you hit the Mason/Dixon line by asking for Sweetea. You are told "NO but you can put sugar in it." as an auto-response. (But if you notice, like Kudzu & fireants,,, it's a creeping north and west.)

Oh, but when they tell my wife, "no Coke but we got Pepsi", she asks for Dr Pepper.

Mike G in SC

PS: and I agree,, Rum and Pepsi or Jack and Pepsi,,,,,,. My response is "what did you do to this?"

I have never understood why catering establishments do not carry both Coke AND Pepsi. It's always one or the other. To me, they are different drinks. Sometimes I want a Coke, sometimes a Pepsi.

As ridiculous as it may seem, both companies have "exclusivity" contracts stating that the outlet can only sell beverages from that company. Coca Cola started it and the other large companies jumped on the bandwagon (Or got even, depending on how you look at it.). Personally, I don't like Coke or Pepsi very much. I prefer root beer or Dr. Pepper. My wife, however, only wants Diet Coke...she'll often change her order if all they have is Pepsi. She too is stubborn...but not old...or else!

Andy

Oftentimes it's the bottling giant (Coke or Pepsi) that is dictating who's product is being carried by a particular establishment. Once one "gets in", the establishment operator is stuck to some kind of contract that says they can't carry the "other guy's" products.

My wife, however, only wants Diet Coke...she'll often change her order if all they have is Pepsi.

Something to consider....

http://blog.fooducate.com/2010/10/18/which-is-better-for-me-coke-or-diet-coke/

http://askville.amazon.com/calories-coke-versus-diet/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=235770

What I find interesting about people is that they will insist on drinking "only diet Coke" (for example) and then turn around and gorge themselves with everything else that is full of sugars and fats ... :doh: :confused24:

What I find interesting about people is that they will insist on drinking "only diet Coke" (for example) and then turn around and gorge themselves with everything else that is full of sugars and fats ... :doh: :confused24:

I usually will stop for a little break while traveling on the bike and have a diet coke and a snickers. Don't like the taste of the coke product with sugar in it but do love those snickers.:banana:

BOO

DUH, The diet coke cancels out all the calories in the other stuff.

That would be me,:smile5: but I order Diet Coke as I like the flavour not because its sugar free. I find coke or pepsi too syrupy.

Brian

http://blog.fooducate.com/2010/10/18/which-is-better-for-me-coke-or-diet-coke/

http://askville.amazon.com/calories-coke-versus-diet/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=235770

I am not sure this is a true statement, I "insist" on Diet coke and I don't gorge myself on everything that is full of fat &i sugar. Plus a bunch drink it for the taste

Plus a bunch drink it for the taste

No biggie if chosen for the taste. Guess I should clarify ... folks ordering "diet" drinks because they're thinking they are cutting down on their calorie intake ... and then gorge themselves on other food high in calories.

As for me, I lean towards the caffein-free Coke coz the only time I drink Coke is with my rum and that is generally in the evening. That way I can still get to sleep and have less of a hangover in the AM :Laugh: