IGNORED

starting problem back

kwisor

hello all

went out this morng to start the bike and samething happined hit the starter and got a clunk like something jamed would not turn over i put the bike in gear and rocked it back and forth and then it started right up no clunk am i having a starter clitch problem? any idea's what i need to look at

bumble bee

1999 rsv

:depressed:

hello all

went out this morng to start the bike and samething happined hit the starter and got a clunk like something jamed would not turn over i put the bike in gear and rocked it back and forth and then it started right up no clunk am i having a starter clitch problem? any idea's what i need to look at

bumble bee

1999 rsv

:depressed:

Did you have it in neutral?? Sometimes after sitting in gear a long time the clutch plates will stick together and even tho the lever pulled they don't disengage. When you rocked the bike they may have broken loose??? This is just a wild a$$ guess???

yes it was in netrual did samething yesterday and i burned out starter selonoide trying to get it to turn over i had a extra one and replaced it it turned over and strarted but today same problem

bumble bee

I have never heard of anything like that on our bikes. It might me a good idea to check out the grounds going to the starter and make sure that it's all good there, but other than that I'm clueless.

Now I'm wondering if you don't have a bad spot on the starter armature or a direct to ground short?? I don't know what amps the starter solenoid is rated for but I imagine it'd take a bunch to burn one out.... Might be time to pull the starter, rebrush and clean, and check the cables??

hello

i think i got the problem fixed it was the hydro lock last week i replaced the fuel pump with the mr gaskit 42s and it was puming to much gas in the carbs went out this moring and went to start it and locked up again the i noticed gas poring out the rt side muffler i put a mr gaskit fuel reg in the fue line and set it at 1 and now so far all seems to be working right i will ck again in the moring i did wire the pump to a wire thaet only is hot when key is on so it was not running all the time thanks for all the replys i hope this has fixed it

bumble bee

1999 rsv

lexington sc

hello

i think i got the problem fixed it was the hydro lock last week i replaced the fuel pump with the mr gaskit 42s and it was puming to much gas in the carbs went out this moring and went to start it and locked up again the i noticed gas poring out the rt side muffler i put a mr gaskit fuel reg in the fue line and set it at 1 and now so far all seems to be working right i will ck again in the moring i did wire the pump to a wire thaet only is hot when key is on so it was not running all the time thanks for all the replys i hope this has fixed it

bumble bee

1999 rsv

lexington sc

OOOO that coulda been a nasty one. Glad your engine is ok. I would suggest an oil change real quick before you run it very far, theres probably a fair bit o gas in the crankcase if you had that much fuel around.

I would suggest turning the petcock off when you stop the bike to prevent this from happening. The next time it could cost you an engine.

Brian

Edited by friesman

The problem here is that the bike has a leaking needle valve on one of the floats. The stock pump has a positive fuel shutoff, meaning that no gas can drain through it when the power is off. The most commonly used aftermarket pump does NOT have a positive fuel shutoff; therefore, if any of the float valves do not completely seal, gas can drain through the carb at a slow rate and into the intake boot.

If the intake valve on that cylinder happens to be open when the engine is stopped, the gas will slowly run through the cylinder via the ring end gaps, diluting the oil, but not causing hydro lock. However, if the intake valves are not open, the leaking fuel will pool in the intake port. As soon as the engine is cranked, all the liquid gas will quickly get sucked in and cause the hydro lock on the first revolution.

Goose