IGNORED

8mm film to dvd

jonesy

i converted my stuff back in the 80's using a vcr camera and ,old screen and a dark room, and my old projector......then 2 yrs ago , bought a vcr to dvd converter

today..( and this is a guess on my part)...you could get the digital camcorder.....record the films on it .....of course you'll need a dark room, white screen ,wall, sheet etc., old 8mm projector...then transfer from the camera to dvd

also, there are little businesses that will do it for you....

You need an analog to digital converter to feed the output of your camera into the computer and some sort of movie editing software to format the video for burning to dvd. The A/D converter boxes are cheap enough, and if your computer is fairly new and has a dvd burner you probably already have the needed software...

Look it up Video Train tnsfer in the yellow pages, we have several here in Charleston that do it and they charge per foot of film, I think a 50 ft 8mm cost about 10 bucks to convert. Watch out for cheap deals they do not always take the precautions in handling brittle film.

You need an analog to digital converter to feed the output of your camera into the computer and some sort of movie editing software to format the video for burning to dvd. The A/D converter boxes are cheap enough, and if your computer is fairly new and has a dvd burner you probably already have the needed software...

Yes, there is a package you can get for under $100 which has the software and necessary cabling. I did that with my 8mm movies a couple years ago. Sorry, can't recall the name of the stuff but I have it at home and can get back to you. It is a time consuming process tho but it works real well.

ahhhh... here's the one I got...

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/easy-vhs-to-dvd/standard/overview.html

Yes, there is a package you can get for under $100 which has the software and necessary cabling. I did that with my 8mm movies a couple years ago. Sorry, can't recall the name of the stuff but I have it at home and can get back to you. It is a time consuming process tho but it works real well.

ahhhh... here's the one I got...

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/easy-vhs-to-dvd/standard/overview.html

Sorry, but I do not see how this would work for 8mm movie film. I too would be interested in converting some 8mm movie film to digital

Sorry, but I do not see how this would work for 8mm movie film. I too would be interested in converting some 8mm movie film to digital

ummmm 8mm from a camcorder?? or some other form of 8mm ... or am I getting mixed up as I thought those old camcorders were 8mm...?

In any event, I transferred direct from my old camcorder to the computer, the software converted it to digital and then burned it to a DVD.

ummmm 8mm from a camcorder?? or some other form of 8mm ... or am I getting mixed up as I thought those old camcorders were 8mm...?

In any event, I transferred direct from my old camcorder to the computer, the software converted it to digital and then burned it to a DVD.

Maybe I am mixed up It did not dawn on me that there was such a thing as an 8mm camcorder. I was thinking of the old 8mm movie projector type films from the 50's and 60's. . I have huge reals of the stuff that my father made and would love to put them on DVD or similiar format.

Maybe I am mixed up It did not dawn on me that there was such a thing as an 8mm camcorder. I was thinking of the old 8mm movie projector type films from the 50's and 60's. . I have huge reals of the stuff that my father made and would love to put them on DVD or similiar format.

I'm sure there is something for that but I'd suggest it probably requires some fancy expensive hardware device.

Did you try Googling ?? I Google everything and usually find an answer LOL what did we ever do before computers, the internet, and Google ???

I'm sure there is something for that but I'd suggest it probably requires some fancy expensive hardware device.

Did you try Googling ?? I Google everything and usually find an answer LOL what did we ever do before computers, the internet, and Google ???

No I didn't, I did not even think of it until I read this post.

Thats the problem with this web site.....just when you think you have more than enough projects on the go . . . leave it to VR to get you thinking about another one :bang head:

No I didn't, I did not even think of it until I read this post.

Thats the problem with this web site.....just when you think you have more than enough projects on the go . . . leave it to VR to get you thinking about another one :bang head:

Oh yeah to that!! Sure it only cost $12 to join but once a guy is in here, ...... it's like British Columbia all over again (B.C. = Bring Cash) :whistling: :Laugh:

there is 8mm celluloid like the old home movies and the 8mm magnetic tape from the 80-90's that we used in our camcorders. NOT COMPATIBLE with each other.

Brian

there is 8mm celluloid like the old home movies and the 8mm magnetic tape from the 80-90's that we used in our camcorders. NOT COMPATIBLE with each other.

Brian

I was assuming celluoid since he said fim but I did not think about the 8mm camcorder tapes. When I had my old celloid tapes done they were warped and the professional guys had the right equipment to compensate for this. If I could have found a 8MM projector I would have done it myself.

Ahhhh! I totally forgot all about movie film!! I still have my old 8mm video cassette recorder, a Sharp, and that's what I immediately thought of! they used to make this box that you played the film on and it projected into a box and the box also had an electronic lense and it converted it to analog video, but that was years ago...

8mm film transfers is something I've been doing for my consumer clients for several years now. (It's especially popular during the holidays.) To do it right requires that you sync each film frame to one video frame, and then convert the playback speed so the result approximates real-time motion. (Video runs at 30 frames per second, while 8mm film typically runs anywhere from 15 to 18 fps, nominally). That's why a telecine machine is so crucial to getting good results, along with proper cleaning and lubrication of the film. It's also great if the technician cuts out sections of unusable footage, places DVD chapter breaks at the appropriate places, doesn't cram too much video into one DVD, and (if budget allows) adds a music score.

It's easy to do it badly, much harder to do it right. I have yet to see any film-based motorcycle POV footage come in the door, sad to say!