New to the Venture..quick question..

KIC

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went for a combination of a CHRISTmas Eve and new to me bike shake down ride with some friends today. Left at 8:30 and 28.2 degrees outside. Found out…screw the dog, chaps are man’s best friend.

The funny thing (or is it just reality) that out of 10 promises to ride, 7 showed up. 1 had to work a half of day and couldn’t get out of it. The only other two who didn’t show up “because it was too cold” were the 2 Harley riders.

Three Ventures were present, my 89, an 85 and we even let a 2nd Gen 2001 ride with us…Tis the season you know…

My 89 had a few minor issues. One was an incredible squeal would occur at higher speeds and colder temps. Happened on Friday morning when I left the house at 32 degrees and had to turn back and switch to the Tahoe. Later that day I rode it for 30+ miles around town with no issues. This morning it was like a police siren. Had figured it was the electric fan motor going. After analyzing it at the higher speeds I realized it was my speedometer cable. Pulled over and removed it and finished the ride quietly.

Got that puppy up to 90 mph in one area ( had my GPS) and the bike felt better than my old K1200LT ever did. Never felt comfortable riding this stretch of curvy highway on the K1200LT, but the Venture was smooth and comfortable.

Looking forward to tearing the front forks and Tupperware apart next week to fix the forks and oil leak and add 12-volt outlets to the fairing. Just waiting for my progressive springs to arrive….

Maybe in Arizona. But there must be more 1st Gens in that part of texas...

Arizona :sun:thought about taking over Texas to make it a better, more livable place, but we couldn't figure out what to do with that pesky lil sliver of desert called New Mexico....:confused24:

First of all......... Get yourself a box of zip lock baggies. You're gunna need them. Keep each set of screws, bolts and lil odds and ends bagged up and labeled as you go.

I kid you not....... it's a time saver in the end.

Easy........ no...... at least not the first time. Once you've done it 5 or 6 times it's a snap. Then you can quit with the baggies.

Start with the mirrors, the wind screen trim, the wind screen, the radiator covers, lower legs, lower cross bar. The headlight cowling. Then hit the dash covers, the dash panels and the odds and ends there. It's hard to confuse the wire connentions. The plugs pretty much keep that fool proof.

Once you got that rolling you'll see how it all works together. Really... not all that bad if you keep track of it and stay organized.

Whenever possible just put the screws or bolts back in where they came from as you remove stuff.

And remember !!! NO LOK TITE WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!!!!!

Mike

Thanks for the info. I am going to remove it so I can do the fork seals/springs and a few other items/wiring under there all at the same time. It looked pretty intense, but I appreciate the step by step. That will help.

Funny about the loctite comment since on my KLR650, Loctite is a common addition...in fact KLR stands for Keep Loctite Ready !

:happy65:

Funny about the loctite comment since on my KLR650, Loctite is a common addition...in fact KLR stands for Keep Loctite Ready !

:happy65:

Nuttin' funny about Loctite around the ABS plastic. Not cool at all. Not even a lil dab on a screw. There will be nuttin' left around it to work with.

Nasty bad mess.

Yup there are a bunch of threads where people got loctite on the plastic and it just goes away and is very hard to fix. You end up making the hole at least an inch bigger all around the crater that is already there and then get to rebuild a new area from scratch.

Brake fluid is just as bad on the plastic parts.

Getting under there and cleaning things up is a good idea but you don't have to remove to do seals.

I have a small oil leak on the top of one of the front cylinders, I want to wire for 2 12-volt plugs and check the wiring for the front lower lights. Just seemed like all that would be easier to do without all the plastic.

The oil leak looks to be at the top valve cover on the right side. I do plan to grease everything with the dielectric grease. Have seen a few mentions in other posts about the TCI so I guess I need to add that to the list and find a thread as to what/where when and why the TCI needs to be moved. ( hint for thread link)

Also, what is the tip on the oil leak ? :confused24: