IGNORED

Dad Blanged high tech pieces of C&@p

Dragonslayer

Guest tx2sturgis
I just got an Iphone 4S with a 2 gig data package.

Nice thing about the 4S is it will hook into WIFI hot spots, or home / work wireless networks. Then there is no charge for data usage.

Siri voice commands & help are really cool.

Though fat fingers & touch screen typing is a challenge.

This phone takes pictures better than most digital cameras. Attached photo was taken in garage with flourescent lighting. It was 3264 x 3264 from phone, I reduced it to 2000 x 2000, then VR site reduced to 1024 x 768.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/IMG_0099.jpg

Say,can you make phone calls on that camera?

:whistling:

:happy34:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my new Droid Bionic on Friday. Had the original Motorola Droid for two years......time to upgrade. I debated between the Razr and the Bionic. The battery was the deciding issue for me. If your battery dies after 13 months it will cost big bucks to replace if you own the Razr. Not so with the Bionic. And I am stunned by this Bionic. Gorgeous screen, blazing fast and smooth, lighter than my OG Droid too. Battery lasts longer than my other one too, which is surprising with this huge display.

loving it so far.

Guest tx2sturgis
:fatsmiley:Glad you worked all the bugs out...:fnd_(16):

:crackup:

Me too!

Hey Bob, which phone did you get? Sounds like it may be a 'feature-phone'

Feature phone is the industry name for semi-smart phones...a step above 'dumb' phones that we all used a few years ago.

Some of these things are not very user friendly...I've tried to operate some friends 'smart phones' and 'feature' phones and got pretty lost.

Yeah, you might need a 12 year old to set it up for you. Including the texting method. Some of them use some variations of iTap or some other way of 'helping' you type in text...but it can be VERY confusing if your not used to it.

I turn that stuff off, on any keyboard with all the letters, a typical qwerty keyboard that slides out for instance, or a virtual keyboard on the screen.

Look under settings for keyboard input methods and try the other settings.

Edited by tx2sturgis

The metadata can be turned off in the settings menu in the Iphone 4S for those that are concerned about the ability to locate them from the info encoded in the picture.

The camera also does 1080 HD movies, haven't tried that yet.

Very easy to upload photos to PC, when usb cable is attached to phone it will ask if you want to upload pictures, as well as charge phone. The usb cable also attaches to the wall charger unit which is about 1" square.

It will also take pictures about 1 second apart which is fairly fast.

Gary

Was looking at the iphone 4s today. set up the account to make the changeover from my blackberry. Stopped halfway through until I was sure what would happen. Suddenly, my Netflix and Hulu accounts (and who knows what else) have been hijacked.

It's been a bad month - lost the sight in one eye; two surgeries gives me a decent chance. It's too bad pistols don't work online - hijackers beware! :Venture:

I have been looking at the iphone, they come in 8,16,32,64 GB versions , how do you decide which is right for you?

Verizon had the 16gig for $199. Ebay price for same phone is about $600. I won't be storing a lot on it other than my music files which took up about 6 gigs. Somewhat of a pain transfering files to the Iphone. The directory structure seems to be read only. I had to transfer music through ITunes.

That leaves about 9 gig for pictures and apps I guess. 1 gig for operating system, give or take. Pictures I download to my PC, so there should always be free room. My Blackberry only had 4 gig I think.

Somewhat of an adventure swapping our old numbers over, due to my Iphone was shipped to me about 3 days after we signed up for service at Verizon. They also were not in our name. We had a Family plan with daughter & phones were in her name. But they did get swapped

Gary

Guest tx2sturgis
I have been looking at the iphone, they come in 8,16,32,64 GB versions , how do you decide which is right for you?

For most any casual user, then 8 or 16 will be enough...UNLESS....you plan on taking or storing LOTS of video.

If you have a HUGE song collection and want to take lots of video and dont expect to be able to upload to your computer often, then you should get 32 or 64. Mine is a 32 and I have yet to need any more space than that. It has about 1500 songs and hundreds of pictures and around 150 apps and a lots of videos that i take and then upload to the desktop.

If you go with the icloud services you probably wont need as much on-board storage...so it depends on how you think you will be using the iphone. If for you its mainly a phone and a still camera, go with 8 or 16. If for you its a multimedia device, then go with at least 32.

Hope this helps.

Don:

I have a Motorola Atrix 4G (Android) and am now beginning to like it. It has a mobile hotspot to hook your laptop to without a cable (tether) and has a voice command to search for anything you may need. I use it to find the closest restaurant or gas station. I haven't been able to stump it yet. I like being able to use my laptop in the car without having to tether it. I don't know the range but I can walk all over my home with my laptop and not lose the wireless signal from the phone. I have only had it for a week or so, so I am still learning all it's features. I use AT&T for my carrier and have never been without a signal. Also, 4G service is only available in the larger cities on AT&T's network. It is not as extensive as Verizon's service area. But I imagine they will catch up pretty quickly.

I also have a company cell phone and they allow us to use it for personal use and do not monitor or review the calls. I also do not want the company looking at my calls, so I have kept my personal cell and make all my calls from that. The company has never said anything to anyone about the minute usage on the company phones. And I know that some of our guys talk as much as 4 HOURS a day on their company phones with their personal calls.

Jim

:crackup:

Me too!

Hey Bob, which phone did you get? Sounds like it may be a 'feature-phone'

Feature phone is the industry name for semi-smart phones...a step above 'dumb' phones that we all used a few years ago.

Some of these things are not very user friendly...I've tried to operate some friends 'smart phones' and 'feature' phones and got pretty lost.

Yeah, you might need a 12 year old to set it up for you. Including the texting method. Some of them use some variations of iTap or some other way of 'helping' you type in text...but it can be VERY confusing if your not used to it.

I turn that stuff off, on any keyboard with all the letters, a typical qwerty keyboard that slides out for instance, or a virtual keyboard on the screen.

Look under settings for keyboard input methods and try the other settings.

It's a metro pcs Samsung with andriod 2.3, whatever that means

thats a great idea I haven't thunked of that. I'll give a try

Doesn't the IPhone have an internal battery also? Really doesn't bother me. To be honest, I don't think that I've ever had a phone long enough that I've had to replace the battery. Also, even though they say that you have to send them off, I know that the IPods were the same way but there were all kinds of instructions available for those of us who wanted to do it on our own. I know that I replace batteries in a couple of them.

I phone just about the best thing since sliced bread:cool10:

Well, whether I want one or not the company got me one. It should be at my house tomorrow but I'm out of town until Friday so it will have to wait a few days. I use Verizon and they ordered me an 16GB Iphone 4S. It is a new account and I transferred my existing Blackberry Bold to my personal account and will keep that number because I've had it long before I went to work for this company. It is due for an upgrade also and since I really don't like the Blackberry, I'll be replacing it with something else also. I'll try the Iphone and see if I want to replace the Blackberry with another Iphone or go with an Android.

Don:

I have a Motorola Atrix 4G (Android) and am now beginning to like it. It has a mobile hotspot to hook your laptop to without a cable (tether) and has a voice command to search for anything you may need. I use it to find the closest restaurant or gas station. I haven't been able to stump it yet. I like being able to use my laptop in the car without having to tether it. I don't know the range but I can walk all over my home with my laptop and not lose the wireless signal from the phone. I have only had it for a week or so, so I am still learning all it's features. I use AT&T for my carrier and have never been without a signal. Also, 4G service is only available in the larger cities on AT&T's network. It is not as extensive as Verizon's service area. But I imagine they will catch up pretty quickly.

I also have a company cell phone and they allow us to use it for personal use and do not monitor or review the calls. I also do not want the company looking at my calls, so I have kept my personal cell and make all my calls from that. The company has never said anything to anyone about the minute usage on the company phones. And I know that some of our guys talk as much as 4 HOURS a day on their company phones with their personal calls.

Jim

i also have the atrix phone and really like it. matter of fact i am posting this with it now,i like the mobile hot spot works great or you can use any att wifi spots and not use up your data . I like not having to tether the phone to netbook so this will work good on bike trips

Guest tx2sturgis
Does anyone that has the Iphone 4S know how to change the time before the screen locks down. I know this saves battery, but I generally have it on a USB cradle. Doesn't do it when playing music.

Gary

Settings, general, auto-lock.

Well Don it looks like even RIM is gonna support iPhones!

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/news/personal-tech/smart-phones/232200353

:hijacked::worthless:what the hell are yall talking about. I thought this thread was about me all I wanted to know is how the hell do I turn this thing on. and send a phone call.

WHAT? You want to actually make a PHONE CALL? But...that's so....I don't know...yesterday. Get with the times. :)

As far as Rim supporting the Iphone and Androids, I don't guess it really surprises me considering the market share that they have been losing. I wouldn't be interested though. It's not just their phones that I don't really care for but their system has had its share of issues also.

Bob,

Its funny you should post this at this time. I'd just got done ordering a new touchscreen phone to replace my old pushbutton one and it arrived on Monday.

Its been a hoot. Using my fingers to select alpha characters doesn't seem to work too well on most menus. I've found than a popsicle stick or closed ballpoint pen end works better on the touch screen. I'm not sure thats an improvement over actual keys though. Maybe I should have gotten one with a qwerty keypad?

But this one was on sale. I needed to get a new battery for my old one, and needed to buy some more airtime (pay as you go phone). The new phone was basically free asit came with an airtime deal, and hopefully a new battery installed.

Also has a microSD memory card slot and can be used as an MP3 player. Had to buy a memory card and USB to microUSB cable, but it hooks up fine to any computer for downloading or uploading stuff. Discovered I can use the usb cable for charging it from a computer.

haven't used it for an internet connection yet. I'll probably give that a try sometime. But the minutes may be expensive if I start doing too much web browsing with the pay-as-you-go phone.

And has a 2mpix camera which takes quite good pictures, and even video, although I haven't tryed the video yet.

hmm. I wonder if it washes dishes too?

Don, now that you've moved to a smart phone you will no doubt need multiple iPhone data/charger cables. One for each computer, car charger, bike charger, etc. Don't fall for the pricing at the local retailers or the Apple store. They will want $15 to $20 for a usb iphone cable. I recently bought 3 cables off of Ebay for $0.97 delivered. All three for $2.97. I've bought wall chargers and car chargers for $6.00 or less.

Dennis

Edited by Midrsv