IGNORED

Fuel Gauge acting up on my 2007 Venture

After the past few fillups my fuel gauge never completely registers as full. It stays down by one bar. It may blip up to all bars but only for a few seconds. It seems to trend down O/K as the tank goes empty. I have not checked any connections yet and wonder if it a grounding problem. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone know how the sending unit works? Any help is always appreciated. Thanks JR

Guest Slab_Ryder

It have the same issue. Mostly it happens when the temperature is cold in the Spring and Fall. I was told by a millwright that it happens as a result of the resistor traveling up and down the sensor. For me, filling up with Super, seems to cure it, not sure why.

I kinda suspected the sending unit too. I have warranty until May of next year so I will watch it and get it taken care of. Thanks to all who shared your experience. It appears there was a bit of an issue with the sending unit in the 2007/2008 year. JR

Recently on my 07 on the first tank of gas of our trip we ran out of gas I switched to reserve it picked back up and then the low fuel light came on DAH and the odometer started the count down. Never let the fuel get that low again.

Hey guys. Shouldn't have to switch to reserve.

You should be running on reserve all the time, and allowing your yellow warning light and odometer count-down to let you know when you went there.

My pet-cock has been in the same position for the past four years - on reserve. :2cents:

I know that a lot of folks agree with you and always leave it on reserve but I'm not one of those people. I simply don't pay enough attention and often never see the light come on. There have been several times when my first warning was when the engine started losing power. Then I just reach down and switch it to reserve. Maybe I would notice it soon enough but I like having that extra warning.

Edited by Freebird

I like having the petcock reminder, but it always seems to crap out at an awkward time. Middle of a turn in city traffic. Trying to beat a Harley up a hill. So I leave mine on reserve all the time.

In olden times we always turned off the petcock when getting off the bike. It was as automatic as putting the sidestand down. My 71 BMW R60 had two petcocks, one on each side for each carb. The petcocks always leaked enough to keep both hands smelling of fuel. They said it was necessary to turn them off because the needle valve in the carb could stick open allowing fuel to overflow onto the floor causing a fire hazard. I believe the manufacturers still instruct us to turn the petcocks off when idle, but I don't do it anymore, and don't see anybody else doing it, either.

BTW there was a problem on the Roadstars with failing in-take sending units for fuel guages. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same identical unit on the Ventures.

I know that a lot of folks agree with you and always leave it on reserve but I'm not one of those people. I simply don't pay enough attention and often never see the light come on. There have been several times when I first warning is when the engine starts losing power. Then I just reach down and switch it to reserve. Maybe I would notice it soon enough but I like having that extra warning.

Me too. That's one reason why Im dreading a fuel injected bike. No warning when it's low on fuel.